Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-15, 19:54

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Good luck!! I've not heard that about Armour. That would be traumatic for a lot of people.

My Endo just referred me back to my referring doctor, who is actually my children's pediatrician. Since the crisis is over and I'm just barely in the normal range, he said I don't need to see him any longer. That hospital is mostly for stabilizing patients. So, after seeing the peditrician, I thought she'd want to refer me to a local endo, but no! She wants to continue to treat me. I have mixed feelings about that, especially since she doesn't want to prescribe a higher dose. It's fruatrating! Is having a chronic illness always like this? Wondering if you're getting the best care and feeling like you're researching more than your doctor is. Ugh! My focus now is removing inflammatory foods and finding ways to boost my thyroid function naturally. That way, I'll maybe feel decent, without having her increase my dose.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-15, 04:07

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Armour Thyroid went through a 'reformulation' a few years back, but it's widely available. However, there is now a 'witch hunt' for those over 60 using it.. Medicare is being told that it presents 'heart problems' in people over 60 and MY mail order pharm is telling people that Synthetic T4 is a 'perfect match for Armour Thyroid'. Doh.. no matter how old I get I won't fall for that lie.

I suggest you contact www.armourthyroid.com and get an email back saying how 'unavailable' it will be (it won't be unavailable).

You could ask for Naturethroid or Westhroid you know (and a lot of doctors have NO idea either of those are no different than brand name Armour).
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-15, 07:22
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

http://www.thyroid-s.com/

My insurance also notified me that they will no longer pay for Armour.
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 04:33

BF:

My last TWO insurance (now I'm on Medicare so they are really trying to stop people from taking it who are over 60... with no proof of their reasons why) did not pay for it. I'll pay out of pocket though.

Now, your doctor can write a letter of 'need' for you and some insurance companies will pay a 'portion' of it in that case. I am very allergic to synthetic T4 (it's made FROM corn not just corn in the 'binding' for the pill itself..and it's too much for my allergic condition). Once I pay my 'co pay limit' for this year, my Armour will be paid for by my Medicare supplement insurance... it's pretty confusing..

All boils down to 'Buy from Big Pharm syntheitics' IMHO.
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-15, 07:24

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%

Well, I went to my Endo appointment yesterday. He wants to switch me to (human) thyroid instead of (pig) thyroid. BIG SURPRISE ...thats what he calls it - human thyroid.
He said for now that I could continue with Armour if I want to, but that it isn't readily available anymore....and eventually everyone will have to switch to synthetic hormone replacement therapy. One thing I did take away from it was, no matter what thyroid meds you take, it has to be on an empty stomach (preferably first thing in the morning) which I knew. But you can't take anything to eat or drink (other than water) for 45 minutes AND not to take any supplements with MINERALS within 4 hours of taking your meds - which I did not know. I was taking my multi-vitamin every morning with my coffee. Now, I will wait until my lunchtime meal to take it.
The difficult thing for me will be timing my late afternoon or evening dose. I'm splitting my dose per the recommendations on (stop the thyroid madness) to keep a proper amount of hormone in my system.

The doc also said that he would not be ordering any free T3 or free T4 tests because "they are way too expensive" and the variables for testing are usually inaccurate, so yeah, another one that treats only based on TSH. That is the only blood test he ordered for me.
  #51   ^
Old Fri, May-01-15, 04:34

BF:

I see there are some doctors here in Michigan. You might want to see this list (some new to me, I'm an old timer though, lol).

http://www.thyroidchange.org/patien...or-list-us.html

And Calcium has to be taken SIX hours around thyroid... depending on your dose mojolissa... splitting it.. um.. usually not more than twice a day... works for almost everyone, unless your are over the 5 grains dosage.
  #52   ^
Old Fri, May-01-15, 07:07

Thanks Pam
Unfortunately, times are tight, I'm not working and the doctors in my area are not covered by insurance.
I was going to a doctor -on your list- back when I was working and (had a little more income) and spent thousands of dollars because he was not covered by insurance. He was the one to order the proper blood testing and diagnose my thyroid and prescribe my Armour. Ironically the only thing covered by insurance then was the Armour prescription. Now I can't afford to go to him and was able to convince my GP to prescribe Armour for me.

That Calcium thing is going to be difficult. Maybe I won't take a multi-vitamin for awhile and see if it makes a difference.
  #53   ^
Old Fri, May-01-15, 08:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/150/120 Female 5 3"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojolissa
Follow up: went to my general practitioner today. He was very sweet about it, but he doesn't feel comfortable prescribing my Armour Thyroid anymore. He claims that Armour is not going to be available for much longer, but bottom line is that he doesn't want the responsibility of malpractice by dosing me by what my symptoms are instead of by the TSH numbers. So he has referred me to an Endo in the same office. My appt is next week. Wish me luck!

Why does your doctor think Armour is going away? This happened when I started on Armour, there was some kind of shortage and reformulazation or something..... Pam have you heard this.... I CAN'T take Synthroid!!! I gained weight the first week I took it. Felt like hell too. Hurt all over.... Armour is the best thing for me....
  #54   ^
Old Fri, May-01-15, 08:17

BF:
Progress:

I just talked to Forest Laboratories because yall were scaring me to death!! lol!!! Armour is going to be available and isn't going away. She told me that they are going through a FDA approval because it is an old product, but it is NOT going anywhere... whew!!!!
  #55   ^
Old Fri, May-01-15, 09:18

Yeah, I think he was just trying to get me to change. BUT I DON"T WANT TO!!!
  #56   ^
Old Thu, May-28-15, 14:01
Carnivore

Plan: <50 net/day
Stats: 368/305/190 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Yeah, there is a nationwide pig shortage, causing a bit of an Armour shortage - which is why prices doubled in the last year. It's not going anywhere and any doctor telling you that is just parroting something a pharma rep told them to get them to prescribe synthetics.

When you take your thyroid meds in the morning, you should take then by themselves, with a small amount of water and wait at least an hour before eating/drinking anything else.
Hormone type "vitamins" - like D3 - should be taken in the evening, if possible. Definitely minimum of 4 hours after your thyroid meds.

Quote:
Well, I went to my Endo appointment yesterday. He wants to switch me to (human) thyroid instead of (pig) thyroid. BIG SURPRISE ...thats what he calls it - human thyroid.

The doc also said that he would not be ordering any free T3 or free T4 tests because "they are way too expensive" and the variables for testing are usually inaccurate, so yeah, another one that treats only based on TSH. That is the only blood test he ordered for me.

That's ridiculous. Across the board.
  #57   ^
Old Thu, May-28-15, 14:05
Carnivore

Plan: <50 net/day
Stats: 368/305/190 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I've been running slightly hyper for a few months. When the labs came in my Endo said, "But how do you FEEL?"

Since I'm not showing any issues from that, so she's letting me run hyperthyroid for a little while. Especially since I'm not in the age range where I need to worry about osteoporosis.
  #58   ^
Old Thu, May-28-15, 15:19

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TChice
Yeah, there is a nationwide pig shortage, causing a bit of an Armour shortage - which is why prices doubled in the last year. It's not going anywhere and any doctor telling you that is just parroting something a pharma rep told them to get them to prescribe synthetics.

When you take your thyroid meds in the morning, you should take then by themselves, with a small amount of water and wait at least an hour before eating/drinking anything else.
Hormone type "vitamins" - like D3 - should be taken in the evening, if possible. Definitely minimum of 4 hours after your thyroid meds.

That's ridiculous. Across the board.

I didn't know that I wasn't suppose to take my D3 at a different time!!! Well poo! I know iron, and eating....but sure didn't know about the d3...Thanks!!!
  #59   ^
Old Sun, May-31-15, 09:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/175/155 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TChice
There was a recent push to make synthroid and the like the "standard of care" for thyroid patients. I don't understand how a synthetic hormone can be considered superior to a natural replacement.

I realize this is and old post, but the production of T3 & T4 in a pig thyroid is far different than that of a human-it's why you had to have a T4 med added to your Armour-to get the right ratio.

Many of us do fine without the addition of a T3 med - I've been hypo for 15 year now and have never needed a T3 and ditto for a woman I work with. So, if Armour was the standard, we would not do at all well.

The "synthetics" are bioidentical hormones. And Levothyroxine has been the standard of card for decades now.
  #60   ^
Old Sun, May-31-15, 09:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/175/155 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Actually my Armour was covered by insurance with just a $20 copay just until this last October, now it's $133. Insurance will not cover any of it. I'm sure there was someone on these boards that was ordering their Armour online without a prescription. I'll see if I can find it, but like I said, I really don't want to go it alone.

Shop around and ask the pharmacy for the cash price-it's actually cheaper for me to buy my levoxyl without using prescription insurance and I have less a fight when the pharmacy tries to give me generic.