Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 18:32

Plan: Cad, Atkin's
Stats: 197/175/140
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Flourless Chocolate Cake

I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for Flourless Chocolate Cake.
Thank's. Shirleyfe
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 19:52

Plan: My own--atkins like
Stats: 188/188/135 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Lightbulb Flourless Fudgey Chocolate Cake

Not sure where I got this from, so I can't give proper credit and I didn't confirm the carb count, but maybe this is something like what you're looking for:

1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup Splenda® (or mixture of 3/4 Splenda / 1/4 Cyclamate Granular)
8 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 cup unsalted butter
6 eggs
boiling water

Preheat oven to 300°F. Grease one 10 inch round cake pan and set aside.

In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the water, salt and Splenda. Stir until completely dissolved and set aside.

Either in the top half of a double boiler or in microwave, melt the chocolate. Pour the chocolate into the bowl of an electric mixer.

Cut the butter into pieces and beat the butter into the chocolate –– one piece at a time. Beat in the sweetened water. Slowly beat in the eggs –– one at a time. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Have a pan larger than the cake pan ready, put the cake pan in the larger pan and fill the pan with boiling water halfway up the sides of the cake pan.

Bake cake in the water bath at 300°F for 45 minutes. The center will still look wet. Chill cake overnight in the pan. To unmold, dip the bottom of the cake pan in hot water for 10 seconds and invert onto a serving plate.

Serves 10 - 4 grams per serving, after fiber reduction.

(I haven't tried this yet but I might add some almond flour to it to give it more body (cakiness) and less egginess. It's very similar to the french silk recipe, only it's baked.)

hth,
Pokey One

Last edited by pokey one : Sat, Mar-08-03 at 19:54.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 20:00

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%
Default flourless chocolate cake w/ Ganache

I feel kinda bad for posting this, but I know it can be converted. I have yet to find any unsweetened white chocolate for the Ganache, but I'd just use regular. I have not tried this recipe yet low carb or otherwise, so PLEASE let me know if it turnes out good! Remember to use extra splenda to compensate for not using "bittersweet" and "white chocolate" and I'd reduce the amount of Unsweetened chocolate as it has a lot more Cocoa in it (Like 90% versus 50%?)

White Chocolate Liquid Center Chocolate Cake

This dessert takes chocolate to a whole new level. Moist, flourless, bittersweet chocolate cake surrounds a center of warm white chocolate ganache that oozes out onto the plate when you cut into it.

specialty tools: 6 1 1/2” high x 2 1/2” wide ring molds, parchment paper

Preparation time: 30 mins
Baking time: 30 mins
Yield: 6 servings

9 Tbsp. sugar (Splenda)
1/3 cup water
3 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped (Unsweetened, I'd use a little less than 3 oz & extra Sweetener!)
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp cocoa
9 Tbsp butter, softened
3 eggs
6 oz. white chocolate Ganache

1. In a small saucepan, bring 5 Tbsp of the sugar and the water to a boil. Remove from the heat. Stir in the bittersweet chocolate and cocoa. Add the butter and stir until completely combined.

2. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to whip the eggs and 4 remaining Tbsp of sugar to a ribbon or until it has tripled in volume.

3. Fold in the chocolate mixture in 3 additions.

4. Butter the ring molds and place them on a parchment-lined half sheet pan. Fill the molds halfway with the batter. Place a 1 oz scoop of white chocolate ganache in the center of the mold and cover with the remaining batter.

5. Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 mins or until just firm to the touch. Cool briefly before removing the molds.

6. Place a cake on each plate while hot and top with a scoop of ice cream.

White Chocolate Ganache

White Chocolate Ganache can be rolled into tiny balls for truffles, or cut into shapes and coated with chocolate and nuts for individual candies. You can add some chopped praline to create praline truffles, or you can warm up this ganache and use it as a sauce.

Preparation time: 10 mins, plus 1 hr refrigeration
Cooking time: 5 mins
Yield: 1 1/2 cups

6 oz. white chocolate, chopped (unsweetened chocolate & sweetener. I'd use a lot less chocolate since you will be using unsweetened..)
1 1/2 Tbsp. butter
3/4 cup heavy cream

1. Place the white chocolate and butter in a small mold.

2. Bring the heavy cream to a boil over medium heat and then pour over the chocolate and butter. Let sit for 3 mins. and then whisk until smooth.

3. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until smooth.

Last edited by nitrovixen : Wed, Mar-12-03 at 20:03.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 20:04

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%
Default flourless chocolate cake w/ Ganache

I feel kinda bad for posting this, but I know it can be converted. I have yet to find any unsweetened white chocolate for the Ganache, but I'd just use regular. I have not tried this recipe yet low carb or otherwise, so PLEASE let me know if it turnes out good! Remember to use extra splenda to compensate for not using

White Chocolate Liquid Center Chocolate Cake

This dessert takes chocolate to a whole new level. Moist, flourless, bittersweet chocolate cake surrounds a center of warm white chocolate ganache that oozes out onto the plate when you cut into it.

specialty tools: 6 1 1/2” high x 2 1/2” wide ring molds, parchment paper

Preparation time: 30 mins
Baking time: 30 mins
Yield: 6 servings

9 Tbsp. sugar (Splenda)
1/3 cup water
3 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped (Unsweetened, I'd use a little less than 3 oz & extra Sweetener!)
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp cocoa
9 Tbsp butter, softened
3 eggs
6 oz. white chocolate Ganache

1. In a small saucepan, bring 5 Tbsp of the sugar and the water to a boil. Remove from the heat. Stir in the bittersweet chocolate and cocoa. Add the butter and stir until completely combined.

2. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to whip the eggs and 4 remaining Tbsp of sugar to a ribbon or until it has tripled in volume.

3. Fold in the chocolate mixture in 3 additions.

4. Butter the ring molds and place them on a parchment-lined half sheet pan. Fill the molds halfway with the batter. Place a 1 oz scoop of white chocolate ganache in the center of the mold and cover with the remaining batter.

5. Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 mins or until just firm to the touch. Cool briefly before removing the molds.

6. Place a cake on each plate while hot and top with a scoop of ice cream.

White Chocolate Ganache

White Chocolate Ganache can be rolled into tiny balls for truffles, or cut into shapes and coated with chocolate and nuts for individual candies. You can add some chopped praline to create praline truffles, or you can warm up this ganache and use it as a sauce.

Preparation time: 10 mins, plus 1 hr refrigeration
Cooking time: 5 mins
Yield: 1 1/2 cups

6 oz. white chocolate, chopped (unsweetened chocolate & sweetener. I'd use a lot less chocolate since you will be using unsweetened..)
1 1/2 Tbsp. butter
3/4 cup heavy cream

1. Place the white chocolate and butter in a small mold.

2. Bring the heavy cream to a boil over medium heat and then pour over the chocolate and butter. Let sit for 3 mins. and then whisk until smooth.

3. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until smooth.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-09, 09:42

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 211/200/140 Female 5 feet three inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

I made a flourless choc cake this weekend with a similar recipe to the 1st one - it tasted like a tire. Looked vaguely like one too....has anyone tried this or another with good results?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-09, 10:24
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I would be really hesitant to make something intensely chocolate using splenda, it just doesn't work. I just made some fudge which used a lot of Erythritol and less splenda but that also wasn't real great.

Awhile back what I did was make a chocolate flourless cake and I used bittersweet chocolate and replaced the small amount of added sugar with splenda and E. That worked out just fine. But it wouldn't have worked if the chocolate hadn't had sugar in it. It was "lower carb" but definitely not low carb.

At the moment I just don't trust that I can make a heavily chocolate dessert, so I avoid them. Someday there will be a sweetener that work well with chocolate but for today I am just going to avoid trying to make chocolate anything. If you don't use much chocolate, just a little, this isn't such a bit problem. But in anything that a high % of chocolate, you will have this challenge.

I was going to take chocolate peanut butter low carb fudge to a party tonight but it tasted low carb... so instead I'm making lemon/berry bars and taking them instead. No issues with sweeteners adding odd tastes.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-09, 12:05

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 211/200/140 Female 5 feet three inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

I guess I will just stay with a spoonful of splenda sweetened peanut butter when I want something sweet!!!