Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 20:27

Plan: Wheat Belly
Stats: 245/232/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Need Some Ideas for Low Carb Appetizers for Baby Shower

I am wondering if you kind folks would mind sharing some ideas with me. Here is my dilemma. My son and his Girlfriend are expecting a baby boy in early October. Her mother and I are throwing them a baby shower the first week in September. I have been asked to make some hot wings, as well as a cheese ball and anything else I might wish to throw together. We are looking at right around 150 people to attend. I will not be able to eat any of the Cake nor drink the punch or anything else that is there. So, I need some ideas of things that I can put together to bring that will be safe for me to eat. We are doing sort of a Buffet Sit Down type meal. With a variety of Meats and other sides. I would like to have something sweet myself since I cannot have any cake or anything. I would appreciate ideas for some appetizers that would be low carb friendly that I could take as well.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 21:15

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

With 150 people in attendance I would suggest a caterer. Seriously. And this is coming from someone who likes to cook and entertain.

Have you ever cooked for that many people before? What's the largest number you've cooked for? Can you divide this into five events of thirty people each? Even cooking for 30 is a huge project.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 22:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
With 150 people in attendance I would suggest a caterer. Seriously. And this is coming from someone who likes to cook and entertain.

Have you ever cooked for that many people before? What's the largest number you've cooked for? Can you divide this into five events of thirty people each? Even cooking for 30 is a huge project.

Yes, I have cooked for a crowd that big and bigger. lol I used to be the Activity Director for a Childrens Ministry Department and I coordinated and handled every aspect of about 3 parties per month for the Childrens Church and Youth Ministry. I realize its a lot of work but I am not going to be the only one cooking, her mother will and possible a couple others as well. We are just doing a buffet. I might make mention there are 150 invited, not certain how many will actually show up. I thought it was a ridiculous amount myself, 2/3rds are her family but this is their first grandchild and they are over the top about it. So guess we will see.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 23:30

BF:

Wow.

Some low carb appetizers:

- cheese (no cooking required!)

- zucchini frittata cut into diamonds, each piece topped with romesco sauce

- stuffed eggs

- terrine cut into cubes, each stabbed with a toothpick

- pate or chopped chicken liver (but it needs a melba toast or something)

- smoked salmon pate in Belgian endive leaves

- sliced cucumber topped with sour cream and smoked oysters or caviar

- marinated mushrooms

- pickled vegetable pieces

- savory cheesecake

- asparagus wrapped in proscuitto

- ham slices spread with chive cream cheese, rolled up

- roast beef slices spread with a cheddar spread, rolled up

- low carb wrap spread with something, rolled, sliced to show the spiral

- shot glasses of gazpacho

- shrimp wrapped with bacon, grilled

- goat cheese balls, rolled in chopped pecans, with an indentation on top that is filled with bacon jam

- shrimp salad made with tiny Bay shrimp; individual small servings in those Chinese porcelain soup spoons

- seasoned nuts

Happy cooking!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-13, 10:49

BF:

A few more:

- guacamole with chicharron (fried pork skin) as dippers or jicama slices as dippers

- oysters on the half-shell

- meatballs

- large shrimp with pesto for dipping

- marinated baby artichokes

- Caesar salad bites: small leaves of romaine, each topped with Parmesan, crouton, anchovy, and Caesar dressing -- meant to be finger food

Last edited by bike2work : Thu, Aug-15-13 at 11:07.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-13, 14:52

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

congrats!!!!!!!!

love the ideas above- I would add:

1. cold cut plate (can have bread and fixings, so people make their sandwiches) and you could make roll ups

2. spinach stuffed mushrooms

3. quiche cups (crustless quiches made in a muffin pan)

4. maybe cook a couple turkeys?

(trying to think of foods that are not too labor intensive with that large a group)
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-13, 16:44

BF:
Default Thank you!

Thanks to everyone for all the ideas! Its a tremendous help. With all of us pitching in its not going to be too big of a load on one person. Though I will admit this is the biggest Baby Shower I have ever been too. The list began at 200 and we managed to get her to narrow it down to 150, hoping to cut it some more