Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 18:07

Plan: Atkin's Diet
Stats: 243/216/105
BF:
Progress: 20%
Cool Sticking 2 It!!!!!!!!! Whoa*******

Hellooooooo, I am totally new here but I'm glad I found somewhere to vent in times of need!!!!!!!!!! I've been on and off Atkins since 1998, but I am determined to reach my Goal weight this time.

I was doing really well last year but the Hollidays came and I went out of town and just blew the whole diet. No planning, no nothing. Wrong thing to do!!!!!!!!

But I'm in my third week of the Diet and doing really well, I elected to stay on Induction for another 2 weeks beings that I have a considerable amount to lose.

My sticks are dark Purple everyday and I'm estatic!!!!!!!!!! I've lost about 15 pounds allready.

Also, I suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and being a Low Carber is helping me fight off those nasty Sugar Cravings I get this time of year. And my Energy level is Better, I don't feel the need to Sleep all Winter long like a Bear. I have this Florescent Light Box which I ordered through this company that caters to people with SAD. The Light Box helps me alot by providing "Sunlight" in these Dreary times. I've had this Light for 2 years now and the Bulbs haven't gone dead yet!!!!!!! But I highly reccommend a Light Box for anyone who's a SAD sufferer, along with a Low Carb Diet Of Course!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll see ya around the Boards everyone..........

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by MocaGirl : Thu, Oct-25-01 at 18:20.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 18:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Smile Welcome

Hi Mocagirl...

and welcome to the board. It's great you're in ketosis, however the dark purple colour is a sign of dehydration. LCing to induce ketosis requires you to drink tons of water, ie 8 8oz glasses plus another 8 oz for every 25 lbs you're overweight.

Not only is lots of water needed to flush ketones from your body, it helps your fat cells release water too. I hope you like water! Please post often, start a journal if you can, and we can get to know you.

You'll have company in the SAD dept, there are a few sufferers here, sad to say (sorry, unforgiveably bad pun, directed at Rachel {moderator} actually).

Best wishes for successful LCing,

Ruth
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 18:47

BF:
Wink O.K. i'LL Do it.................

Well Ruth to tell U the Truth I hate Water but I'm willing to Drink it so I can Lose weight!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't know I was dehydrated, I do get Dizzy during the Day but I thought that was from lack of Carbs, not water. Thankx for the Very Helpful Tip. I will use it.

I drink Diet Sodas only. (Can't kick the caffeinne*******)

Well, c ya
Jessica
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 21:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Unhappy Dizzyness

and fatigue or muscle weakness are very common when people start LCing. It is usually an indication that you need more water & supplements. Are you taking a good multi vitamin? If not, pls go to your local Walmart (or where ever) and get one. Choose Forte or Super, these have extra Vit B, which you'll need.

We also need more magnesium and potassium. Calcium/mag combos are easy to find. To add potassium, which will help with fatigue, muscle cramps, etc, use No-Salt or Half-Salt just as you would use salt in cooking or at the table. I wasn't much of a salt user b4 starting LC, but now I use No-Salt every day with eggs. I wouldn't be able to manage without it. You'll find both of these products in the grocery store with the spices and regular salt.

Please read the threads below, there is some good, very comprehensive info there (I don't want to re-invent the wheel, especially when I can point you to some answers Doreen has given).

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ght=supplements

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ght=supplements

If you click on the search icon, upper right part of the screen, you'll find lots of threads to read on supplements, potassium, magnesium, etc. Our wonderful webmaster has given us some great tools on this site.

Take care, Ruth
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 11:40

BF:
Talking thankx

Ruth, I'll do that

Jessica