Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-08, 17:58
Registered Member

Plan: Hi fat, hi calories
Stats: 185/185/185 Male 5' 11
BF:
Progress:

If anyone is remotely interested in obtaining functional strength I would highly recommend Starting Strength (by Mark Ripptoe), it goes into great detail on why barbell exercises (squat, power clean, press and bench press, etc...) are far superior for overall body composition than virtually anything else.

It also seems, from reading the book, like this super-slow motion stuff that has been touted here would be a phenomenally bad way of exercising. The book is adamant that training with high speed with a reasonably movable weight makes way for muscles to use maximal power and are able to obtain usable, functional strength.

Though I have no fundamental knowledge on this super slow stuff, it seems like you would be training your muscles and central nervous system to be slower and less powerful than what Mark is suggesting.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-08, 09:52

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Kill
If anyone is remotely interested in obtaining functional strength I would highly recommend Starting Strength (by Mark Ripptoe), it goes into great detail on why barbell exercises (squat, power clean, press and bench press, etc...) are far superior for overall body composition than virtually anything else.

It also seems, from reading the book, like this super-slow motion stuff that has been touted here would be a phenomenally bad way of exercising. The book is adamant that training with high speed with a reasonably movable weight makes way for muscles to use maximal power and are able to obtain usable, functional strength.

Though I have no fundamental knowledge on this super slow stuff, it seems like you would be training your muscles and central nervous system to be slower and less powerful than what Mark is suggesting.

He's a solid strength coach! Found an interview on T-Nation. Here's my favorite part.

"When a person first starts training, I mean first rattle out of the box, an 18-year old kid comes in the gym and starts training, he's so unadapted that riding a bicycle will make his bench press go up. The further removed you are from your potential to adapt, the quicker and easier adaptation is.

The Starting Strength program takes into account the fact that there are just a few basic exercises that, when done in a program of strict linear increase — come in, do 3x5 after your warm-up, go up 10 pounds in your next workout, and do that until it doesn't work anymore — they produce a total body adaptation that's superior to the use of exercises that dilute the body into bodyparts.

In other words, we don't think, "legs." We think, "squat." We don't attempt to assemble a complete workout from bodyparts. We don't have muscle groups that are favorites; we don't think in terms of muscle groups. We think in terms of movements.

I don't really coach but seven or eight exercises. We squat, and press overhead, we deadlift, we bench press, we clean, we snatch. We occasionally do barbell rows, but we don't really use barbell rows in our program."
  #108   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-08, 09:54

Plan: Mix
Stats: 255/200/180 Male 6 Feet
BF:
Progress:

Buzz Kill is right... Starting Strength is an amazing book, it woulda saved me alot of frustration and heartache had I gotten it two or three years ago.

It basically says that "Big Five" (squats, deadlifts, bench, clean, and press) are the true, core strength building exercises; All the other exercises (and their goofy variations) are fine, but are only really necessary for advanced weightlifters, who wish to focus on a specific area. (i.e. you wanna be an MMA fighter? A rock climber? Grip training will be great) However, you still need that core strength...otherwise you'll have muscle imbalances that will make you more prone to injury. (ever seen those guys who's arms are bigger than their thighs? No supposed to happen, your thighs SHOULD be the strongest muscles in your body)

According to the book, the reason isolation exercises are crap is because your muscles aren't designed to work in isolation! Every movement you do involves not one, but dozens of different muscles working in unison. Therefore, you should train these muscles in unison. For instance, there is no natural movement you can make that will isolate quads or hamstrings. They always work together. So why train them separately?

The book also goes in-depth on the correct way to perform the movements. You think you're doing the benchpress correctly? You'll be surprised. Remember when dad showed you how to do a press? He was flat out wrong.

Last edited by itrorev : Tue, Dec-16-08 at 15:08.
  #109   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-08, 03:45
Registered Member

Plan: Hi fat, hi calories
Stats: 185/185/185 Male 5' 11
BF:
Progress:

T-sip,

You made quite an effort to entirely block off any objective reality from the research you did on Starting Strength. This book is held in extremely high regards by nearly the entire strength building community. His book is a very detailed breakdown of exactly how and why the compound movements are superior for adding functional strength. He has over 50 pages of explanation and diagrams on the squat alone.

My first impression of him was not that great either when I saw a video of him on youtube. But, the shear amount of support from another message board that I follow was so much that I was convinced to get the book and have not regretted it since.
  #110   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-08, 10:24

Plan: Mix
Stats: 255/200/180 Male 6 Feet
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
The bodybuilding community still believes in the Positive Caloric Balance hypothesis i.e. a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. Their advice to gain muscle is: Eat more. This forum is dedicated to low carb diets and as such we're a little more informed on the subject so we would be the first to consider that advice as naive if not completely wrong.

Carbohydrates drive insulin drives fat accumulation. This fundamental principle is the simplest explanation of how we grow fat. Bodybuilders don't escape this mechanism in the least. In fact, the classical method to grow muscle is to eat more regardless of macronutrients, grow fat because of the high carb content, then cut by cutting total calories (which invariably cuts total carbs) again regardless of macronutrients all the while lifting heavy weights. In other words, even as they lift the bar i.e. exercise, they grow fatter. It's called the bulk/cut method. Do you want to grow fat? If not, then don't follow this advice.

The advice to eat more carbs comes from the fact that protein requires insulin to be used by cells. Since carbs also require insulin and more insulin would logically improve the amino acids uptake by cells, eating more carbs would then be the logical thing to do to gain more muscle. The problem with this logic is that it doesn't take into consideration insulin resistance. This builds over time such that cells simply refuse to take in any more insulin. At that point, the only thing that grows is fat tissue because it's the last tissue to become insulin resistant. It can take years like it can take weeks.

Carbohydrates serve only one purpose and that's fuel. It can't be used for repair or maintenance or any other purpose than fuel. Fat can be used for fuel, repair, maintenance and building blocks of cells, sterols production such as cholesterol and subsequently testosterone, and various tissue with the main tissue being the brain. Protein can be used for fuel, repair, maintenance and building blocks of cells and various tissue with the main tissue being muscles. Vitamins and minerals are used in every step of fuel utilization, repair, maintenance and building blocks and there are many more better alternatives than eating carbs to get those.

So yes, it's entirely possible, perhaps even easier, to grow muscle while in ketosis.

Very true.

The bulking/cutting method works...but the problem is it assumes you're a rail-thin 98-pound weakling with a hyper-fast metabolism who actually wants to get bigger, and start fitting into pants from the Adult Mens section of the store. In fact, pretty much all body-building advice/magazines/websites that I've found cater to these type of guys.

But what about guys like me? I'm not skinny, nor will I ever be. Most would consider me to be "husky". In order for me to lose weight, I have to embark on diet that most would consider "starvation", while running my ass off every single day. Oh, and if I do that, I can kiss whatever muscle I have goodbye. But hell, at least I'll be a few pants size's smaller!

Unfortunately, I'm not terribly strong, either. 20 years of bad habits, no exercise, and disinterest in any type of sport turned me into a fat, bloated weakling, similar to those folks in WALL-E. Now this weakling is thinner, but he wants to get strong. Following this "bulking" nonsense will certainly make me stronger, but it'll also quickly turn me into on obese man on the verge of cardiac arrest.

I've been lowcarbing, and have quite effectively been packing on the muscle. You just need to push yourself enough to see the results.

Last edited by itrorev : Wed, Dec-17-08 at 12:26.
  #111   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-08, 12:17

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by awriter
You know what's cool about the internet? People's actual words are written, and can be copied and pasted. As here, where you wrote:

"Feel free to try adding muscle while in ketosis and not in a calorie surplus - you will be wasting your time."

Wasting your time. Which means not possible. Because if it were possible, you wouldn't be wasting your time.

If I put on 10 pounds of muscle in ketosis while eating a calorie deficit - you're wrong.

If I put on 9 pounds of muscle in ketosis while eating a calorie deficit - you're wrong.

If I put on 8 pounds of muscle in ketosis while eating a calorie deficit - you're wrong.

If I put on 7 pounds of muscle in ketosis while eating a calorie deficit - you're wrong.

If I put on 6 pounds of muscle in ketosis while eating a calorie deficit - you're wrong.

If I put on 5 pounds of muscle in ketosis while eating a calorie deficit - you're wrong.

If I put on even 1 pound of muscle in ketosis while eating a calorie deficit - you're wrong.

Put a fork in it, son - your theory's done. And when something's done, I don't mess with it anymore. If you do, you'll be talkin' to the hand. Done is DONE.

I like you!!!!
  #112   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-09, 16:31

Plan: Anabolic Diet
Stats: 314/295/250 Male 69
BF:2 much %
Progress: 30%

I have never been able to get bigger and stronger while in Ketosis no matter how much I ate. This is seriously my biggest issue with staying low carb. I hate losing strength and muscle mass that I have worked so hard for. I know I am not alone because almost every body building article (or actual person I have talked to) talks about the struggles of keeping muscle mass while losing the fat to show more definition. They all talk about having to reduce training poundages (loss of strength= loss of mass) but its a balancing act.

I think too that muscles take on a flatter appearance so even though lifting with high intensity might build muscle (more so on a newbie than an experienced lifter), the overall muscle size will diminish with a carb depleted/water depleted state. (this is why bodybuilders carb load just before a show, to make those muscles pop and tighten the skin. )

Last edited by Earthquake : Thu, Jan-01-09 at 16:36.