Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-01, 07:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Question WINNER IN EVERY SENSE

I can do this. Nothing is impossible. Am I not already more than half way towards my weight target?

Where I come from a girl is only ever expected to be submissive, obedient, gentle and the most strenuous form of exercise is probably child-birth in her whole lifetime. Housework is the encouraged form of exercise. In fact I believed I was VERY fit 'cos whenever Mum and I went shopping I would suddenly look back and see Mum trailing about half a mile behind me (bless her! ... she's wonderful but exercise is not her strong point) thus giving me plenty of time to window-gaze until she caught up !

Yes you guessed right. I never put exercise on my agenda until well into my late 20s!! We had PE (Physical Education) classes at school which I often managed to get out of.

A desk job (sitting at the typewriter and later computer) all day ensured this sedantry lifestyle continued. Asthma, Thyroid, Depression, SAD, Hayfever contributed in their various ways.

In my late 30s I did seriously think about exercising but my attempts were very short-lived and motivation minimal ... especially after the first session when the whole body was in MAJOR PROTEST mode. I tried swimming. I never did quite master breathing in water and tended to hold my breath. A serious asthma attack less than 12 hours after swimming put an end to that.

A health crisis in my 40s finally opened my eyes and gave the motivation a bit of a kick.

I guess I really started some time in May this year. My goal then was to start VERY slowly 5 minutes every morning. In fact I could only manage 3 minutes before collapsing and needing a good hour to recover!! And I am NOT exaggerating.. I am quite proud as I look back on those days just five months ago. I have persevered, kept at it and have come a LONNNNNNNNG way forward.

I don't exercise ... that word is taboo ... it brings up all forms of resistance and deflates motivation etc. etc. I dance 'cos I discovered I LOVVVVVVVVE dancing. I can keep that going for a good two hours on my better days now.

Fern's thread on AM Cardio got me thinking. When I started Atkins I was getting up and doing my (then) 3 minutes exercise first on an empty stomach. Weight loss was steady and pretty good. I realised I am getting complacent. I need to take it to the next level.

Mulled over it this week, resisted but today finally decided instead of doing 2 hours dance at 7pm let's try something different - preferably first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Not exercise ... not dance : my favourite radio presenter is only on at 7pm Sat and Sunday ... just something different. Didn't have a clue what that something was going to be.

Right that is my introduction and background.

Last edited by fiona : Sat, Oct-06-01 at 08:44.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-01, 08:25

BF:
Thumbs up Finding the Right form of exercise for me

Okay I live in a small block. The front door opens to a long corridor. My flat door opens to a flight of stairs (some of my visitors have called it very steep but that's probably 'cos they are in my Sweet Mum's class of fitness!) followed by another long corridor.

I got up, did my head rolls and shoulder lifts on the way to the kitchen. I have collected some Exercise cassettes, CDs, Videos over the years so I know a little about warming up!! Did my "balancing-on-one-leg-Act" while I filled and waited for the kettle to boil. You might laugh but that is a good exercise for me ... tells me how I am really feeling!! If I can't balance I'm not so good. The longer I CAN balance the better I am.

Anyway pot of tea in hand I was on my way to my spacious lounge intending to do as much as I could to my exercise video when inspiration suddenly hit me. I put the pot of tea down. Ran down the stairs, along the corridor; touched the front door, ran back along the corridor, up the stairs, along the corridor, to the table. Ummm felt good. Did it again and again and again getting slower each time but determined to do as many as possible. To cut a long story short I did it 15 times in all today before deciding that was QUITE enough. Every time I reached the table I drew a little line on a piece of paper to keep count ... and took a quick sip of tea before running back.

It's 3pm now. I feel Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaatttt. Can I keep this up and build on it daily? I don't know but I can certainly give it a shot.

Dan Fern Question for you : What am I exercising here??? Layman's language please + a little bit of yours so I can synchronise the two eventually!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-01, 13:24
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 263/199/174
BF:
Progress: 72%

Really enjoyed reading those first two entries. I know exactly where you're coming from. I've always had a "weight problem " (fat kid) and was hopeless at sport. PE lessons were a nightmare and being a short male in a Welsh school where we played RUGBY was a recipe for disaster.

Since then I've avoided all forms of exertion and didn't like to work up a sweat. Ended up with me being about 100 pounds overweight and unable to bend down and pick my daughter up off the floor.

Something's happened though and it's really quite exciting. Its a bit like your running. Let's see what happens

Good luck for tomorrow morning

Jon
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-01, 13:41

BF:
Thumbs up 10 more sprints !!

It is nearly 9pm. Still feeling very good. Didn't even have my afternoon lie-down/rest today.

Did 10 more sprints just before supper at 7pm. Feel good albeit a tiny bit anxious. First signs of wheezing ... I have managed without my inhalers for at least two months now ... not keen to start using them again.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-01, 14:07

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Thumbs up

You're doing great Fiona.

No naps huh? Then there is hope for me. And no inhalers for months now? That's something I aspire to. You're my hero!

I'm looking forward to reading more about your new routine (won't call it exercise).

Ruth
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-01, 19:10
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Red face thankyou fiona

Thankyou so much for sharing your struggles, enthusiasm and determination with us .. .. You are an inspiration to me especially, since we share some similar concerns. I'm sure there are many others out there too, who aren't able to undertake a rigorous athletic regimen for all kind of reasons -- health, expense, location, etc. And so, it's very encouraging to read the experiences of another, who makes the most of what they've got and what they can do.
You truly are a winner.

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-01, 04:37

BF:
Talking awwww Geeeee !

Thank You Jon, Ruth, Doreen : Bless you all

{Jon: Since then I've avoided all forms of exertion and didn't like to work up a sweat. }
Isn't is amazing how creative one can become at avoiding and resisting exertion as the years go on ??!! I'm learning to transform that and become creative on how to get sweaty!!

Well started the day with 20 stair sprints. It is actually a wonderful way of warming up first thing in the morning.

Take care.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-01, 19:02

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Default Re: Finding the Right form of exercise for me

Quote:
Originally posted by fiona

Dan Fern Question for you : What am I exercising here??? Layman's language please + a little bit of yours so I can synchronise the two eventually!!

Fiona-
Ah, it has been a long weekend so I have not had a chance to get on the board. If you are doing those sprints, you are working all the muscles in your legs, your butt, and your lungs! I read your post and I thought it was such a great example for people who say they have no time to exercise. Who can't take a couple minutes out of their day while they're making tea and run a few sprints! I think thats GREAT!!
Keep up the good work!!!
Linda
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-01, 00:44

BF:
Cool Thanks, Fern

Wow!

{doing those sprints, you are working all the muscles in your legs, your butt, and your lungs! } That's great. Yes I definitely felt my lungs straining a little - not enough to hunt for the inhalers yet. My legs do need some strengthening - I hate having to stop in the middle of the morning rush 'cos my legs give up on me half way up the flight of stairs: people get sooo impatient!!

Are there any simple exercises that would help flatten my stomach - I feel pregnant sometimes!!

Did 10 sprints last night and a further 10 more first thing this morning. Will do some more when I come off the internet at 8am.
Take Care.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 13:21

BF:
Default Disappointed

After that great start I didn't do ANY exercise the last couple of days. In fact yesterday started watching TV and lethargy snuck in and it was with some effort I finally got up to get something to eat very late in the day.

Today with some effort (having hidden the TV remote) I managed to go about my chores.

Tomorrow I hope to get back to exercising in some form or another. Perhaps I overdid it albeit I did feel soooo good.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 13:30

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Fiona, a day or two off isnt the end of it It could actually be a good thing. I hate taking days off, but when I do, I find I enjoy my workouts all the more when I resume. And I have MORE energy and can go longer. Tomorrow is another day

Nat
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 12:38

BF:
Cool Minimum: 10 mins or 10 st-sprints

Thanks Nat for those kind words.

I tend to be too critical of myself and give up completely. Perhaps that was a slightly unrealistic goal: to keep increasing and building on my daily stair sprints.

I have been tired though. Today I watched TV for an hour and very determinedly switched it off (2pm) and hid the remote again. Then decided okay I would rest for ½ hour before getting on with my chores. Fell asleep and could not believe it was 4.30. 5pm by the time I got myself going again.

Okay, tomorrow is my "on the road day" my exercise will be being on my feet all day.

As from now my MINIMUM for the day is 10 minutes dancing or 10 stair sprints.

I can do this - Yes I can 'cos I am a Winner.
Take care.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-01, 23:49

BF:
Unhappy tut tut!

Have not done any specific exercise but been quite busy the last few days.

Getting back into a routine now. Starting with my minimum goal for the day.
Take care.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-01, 00:28

BF:
Thumbs down Excuses Escuses

Have come down with a terrible cold. Feeling just too miserable with this constantly runny nose ... even my eyes are watering constantly ... to do more than think about the fun I am missing!!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-01, 11:49
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Unhappy yucckk!!

Hope you are feeling better soon,fiona! We miss you too.

Take special care of yourself.

Doreen