Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-17-09, 21:21
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 262/238/145 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:still/too/much!
Progress: 21%
Thumbs down a little discouraged....

So, I weighed myself today and, according to my scale, I have only lost ONE POUND in ONE WEEK. I am on phase one so, I don't understand the problem. I followed the diet exactly and did everything right. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong

So, I guess I will hit it extremely hard this week and I'm gonna stick on phase one for three more weeks because, i'm counting this week as nothing and because i have more than 100 pounds to lose so, three weeks seems alright to me.

I wanted to know if anyone who has already reached their goal weight had any suggestions. I am really discouraged now and am fighting to stick with this. Any advice would help
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 06:23
Think Pink

Plan: ♥Calorie Counting
Stats: 265/195/175 Female 5' 10"
BF: a few
Progress: 78%

Hey there....hmmm.....there's GOT to be something in your menu that's keeping you from losing. Maybe you could let us know what your eating and we can take a look?

Hey there's no doubt - this weight loss thing is tough - but it can be done and you can overcome hard situations. You just need to NEVER EVER give up. Even if you fall off the wagon. Don't feel embarassed - just pick up and go on. That's one of the things I've learned. I'd recommend getting support from whatever sources may help you - - for me it was coming here, starting a journal, weighing in regularly, reading self-help books, reading other people journals/posts, being 100% honest (even if it was embarassing), and being accountable for EVERYTHING .....those kinds of things.

Hope I helped a little -- I completely understand but don't throw in the towel...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 10:32

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

MomtoGavin:

Week one is a huge adjustment for your body...don't give up! The loss will come as your body gets over the shock of this new thing you're throwing at it. If you're anything like I was, the first victory is having a week when you don't GAIN weight!

I was gaining so fast prior to starting LC that, truly, it was great just to stay the same. Don't be hard on yourself.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 10:43

Plan: general leaning toward Sb
Stats: 336/196/150 Female 5'4"
BF:gettin/down/there
Progress: 75%

Are you by any chance about to have a visit from TOM? That will cause some water retention. But usually after that many women see a whoooosh!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 17:20
Registered Member

Default Ugh!

I am not waiting for my Nature Fairy to come this week....we've got another two weeks. Gayle asked me to post what I've been eating so, here is what I ate today:

Breakfast: 2 veggie quiches, 2 slices turkey bacon
Lunch: Chicken, low-fat provolone, cottage cheese
Dinner: 4 pc pork tenderloin (1 serving), salad, low-fat italian dressing
and I plan on having a SF popsicle for dessert

I also did the Biggest Loser Cardio workout this morning.

Does that sound right? I know I am supposed to have snacks in between but, because of work, I don't have that luxury. We aren't really allowed breaks, unless we work for more than five hours, which I rarely do. So it's almost impossible to eat at work. Any suggestions??
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 17:33
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gavin
I am not waiting for my Nature Fairy to come this week....we've got another two weeks. Gayle asked me to post what I've been eating so, here is what I ate today:

Breakfast: 2 veggie quiches, 2 slices turkey bacon
Lunch: Chicken, low-fat provolone, cottage cheese
Dinner: 4 pc pork tenderloin (1 serving), salad, low-fat italian dressing
and I plan on having a SF popsicle for dessert

I also did the Biggest Loser Cardio workout this morning.

Does that sound right? I know I am supposed to have snacks in between but, because of work, I don't have that luxury. We aren't really allowed breaks, unless we work for more than five hours, which I rarely do. So it's almost impossible to eat at work. Any suggestions??

Where are your veggies??? Its not SB if you aren't eating them!
Thats a lot of protein and virtually no veggies other than your salad at dinner.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 18:24
Registered Member

that's true.....i'm just not a big fan of veggies so, i'm trying to work on that. do you have any suggestions about making veggies taste better? I made veggie chili from that Prevention SB book.....would that work??
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 18:55
Registered Member

I can't seem to locate the food lists for phase one and two anymore....could you help me out??
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 18:57

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
I can't seem to locate the food lists for phase one and two anymore....could you help me out??

Here you go.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...147#post7802147

Patrick
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 20:10
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor

Thank you Patrick!!

Please pay close attention to the Meal Plan Chart:

Quote:
SBD Meal Plan Chart
How To Adapt Your Meal Plan- Phase I

The South Beach Diet? is designed so that you can easily swap meals and ingredients. If you don't like eggs for breakfast, have low-fat cottage cheese or lean meat instead. Not a fish lover? Then choose lean beef or poultry. In Phase 1 of the diet, you can eat as many proteins and vegetables as you like, plus fats like olive oil. Fruit and starches aren't allowed until Phase 2. Here's a look at some general eating guidelines. For specific food choices, check out the Phase 1 Foods to Enjoy & Avoid list.

BREAKFAST
Protein: Quantity is not limited. Start with a 2 oz. portion, eat slowly, go back for seconds if still hungry.

Vegetables: Minimum 1/2 cup or 6-8 oz. tomato or vegetable juice.

Fruit: None

Starch: None

Milk/Dairy: 2 cups allowed daily (including yogurt)

Fat: 1 tsp mayonnaise, trans-free margarine, or oil (optional)

SNACK
Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds. A snack that combines protein (1 oz.) and vegetables is encouraged.

LUNCH
Protein: Quantity is not limited. Start with a 3 oz. portion, eat slowly, go back for seconds if still hungry.

Vegetables: Minimum 2 cups.
We encourage you to include a serving of beans (1/3-1/2 cup) as part of your vegetables.

Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise, trans-free margarine or oil, or 2 Tbsp salad dressing

SNACK
Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds. A snack that combines protein (1 oz.) and vegetables is encouraged.

DINNER
Protein: Quantity is not limited. Start with a 3 oz. portion, eat slowly, go back for seconds if still hungry.

Vegetables:Minimum 2 cups.
We encourage you to include a serving of beans (1/3-1/2 cup) as part of your vegetables.

Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise, trans-free margarine or oil, or 2 Tbsp salad dressing

DESSERT / EVENING SNACK
Desserts are optional. Enjoy some of your Sweet Treat allowance, a dessert, or any of the snack choices.

SWEET TREATS
Sweet Treats are products that contain sugar alcohols. You can enjoy them throughout the day to satisfy your sweet tooth ? just limit yourself to roughly 75 calories worth per day to avoid any GI distress.
See a list of Sweet Treat options here

BEVERAGES
Diet, decaffeinated, sugar-free drinks are not limited. You can enjoy caffeinated coffee or diet sodas with caffeine added, but limit to 1 - 2 servings per day

This is the tool that showed me how to eat this way. I still eat according to this chart.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 20:23
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
that's true.....i'm just not a big fan of veggies so, i'm trying to work on that. do you have any suggestions about making veggies taste better? I made veggie chili from that Prevention SB book.....would that work??

Veggie chili is a good start.
You can have either V8 or tomato juice with your breakfast.

Vegetables can be made to suit you and your personal tastes. I have no idea why you don't like the way they taste so you'll need to tell us what it is that you don't enjoy.

When I started, I had to learn many new things and ways to eat. It doesn't happen overnight and I made many mistakes...but I learned from them. I had to learn how to cook in general as my whole adult life was spent ordering in meals and never cooking for myself. So, I started to learn to cook and I found many foods/veggies that I had never eaten and now eat a wide variety of veggies.

Tonight I had steamed brussel sprouts with some Smart Balance and lite salt with a broiled piece of lemon sole. It was very delish!! Have you ever tried them?

Here's a list of some of my favs and keep in mind that I do a lot of sauteeing in evoo, fresh grated garlic cloves and crushed red pepper:
onions, peppers and mushrooms
steamed asparagus
steamed broccoli
sauteed zucchini and tomatoes
sauteed cabbage and onions
and many more.
Take a look through the recipe thread pinned at the top of this section of the forum.

What veggies did you put into your chili?
When I make chili, I include the following:
onions
bell and jalapeno peppers
mushrooms
zucchini
canned crushed tomatoes
carrrots for phase II.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 20:33
Registered Member

Default Veggies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Veggie chili is a good start.
You can have either V8 or tomato juice with your breakfast.

Vegetables can be made to suit you and your personal tastes. I have no idea why you don't like the way they taste so you'll need to tell us what it is that you don't enjoy.

When I started, I had to learn many new things and ways to eat. It doesn't happen overnight and I made many mistakes...but I learned from them. I had to learn how to cook in general as my whole adult life was spent ordering in meals and never cooking for myself. So, I started to learn to cook and I found many foods/veggies that I had never eaten and now eat a wide variety of veggies.

Tonight I had steamed brussel sprouts with some Smart Balance and lite salt with a broiled piece of lemon sole. It was very delish!! Have you ever tried them?

Here's a list of some of my favs and keep in mind that I do a lot of sauteeing in evoo, fresh grated garlic cloves and crushed red pepper:
onions, peppers and mushrooms
steamed asparagus
steamed broccoli
sauteed zucchini and tomatoes
sauteed cabbage and onions
and many more.
Take a look through the recipe thread pinned at the top of this section of the forum.

What veggies did you put into your chili?
When I make chili, I include the following:
onions
bell and jalapeno peppers
mushrooms
zucchini
canned crushed tomatoes
carrrots for phase II.

For the chili, I followed the recipie, that included bell peppers, onions, tomatos, northern beans, celery, mushrooms and garlic. It is really good (I had some for a snack tonight). I just really want to be successful. I am so young (22) and I don't want to have to battle this the rest of my life. I want to nip it in the butt NOW!! It's just really hard. I don't know what I don't like about vegetables. My mother never really introduced them to me when i was a child. The only veggies I ate were potatoes and corn. I have adapted to some, including zucchini, squash, lettuce.....but most of the veggies I can only eat if they are soft, like they are in soup or the chili I made....maybe it's the crunch....is that silly?

Mushrooms, zucchini, squash, tomatoes (canned), are all veggies I love. Just don't know where to take that......
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 20:45
Attitude is a Choice

Yes, you are young and need to learn to eat many new foods. Start experimenting with things and see how you do...its really the only way.

You can do this....and it takes time so learn to practice patience...OK?

Also, you are welcome to review my first journal where I logged my food daily for 20 months, link is on the 1st page of my current journal. The first 9 months was where I made many errors but as you go through it, you'll see how I evolved over time.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-19-09, 18:39
Registered Member

so i just wanted to post my food for today, to see if it's some sort of improvement from last week....

BK: 2 eggs with shredded cheese, veggie juice
Snack: Cheese stick
L: Veggie Chili, Chicken
Snack: SF Popsicle
D: Turkey Meatloaf, Salad, Kidney and Garbanzo beans
Dessert: SF Popsicle

Does that seem better? Im sorry I'm asking so many questions but I am really trying to succeed.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-19-09, 19:46
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
so i just wanted to post my food for today, to see if it's some sort of improvement from last week....

BK: 2 eggs with shredded cheese, veggie juice
Snack: Cheese stick
L: Veggie Chili, Chicken
Snack: SF Popsicle
D: Turkey Meatloaf, Salad, Kidney and Garbanzo beans
Dessert: SF Popsicle

Does that seem better? Im sorry I'm asking so many questions but I am really trying to succeed.

Yes, that does look better...good job! are you following the portion amounts?
One thing to note is that you really need to keep your cheese intake to a total of 3-4 ozs daily.
How is the water drinking going?

You may want to start a journal and use it to log your food each day. We'll come by and check up on you there.