Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-09, 10:57

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 215.4/207.6/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default How to get beans in....

I really do not like dry foods and to me beans are so dry. What ideas can you offer to help me get in my daily requirement of beans and legumes that I might possibly be able to tolerate/enjoy?

I appreciate your help and thanks!
Joann
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-09, 11:10
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wnabthin
I really do not like dry foods and to me beans are so dry. What ideas can you offer to help me get in my daily requirement of beans and legumes that I might possibly be able to tolerate/enjoy?

I appreciate your help and thanks!
Joann

I had the exact same problem!!
Here are a few of the ways I incorporate them into my plan:
*hummus as a veggie dip
*chilis with beans as an ingredient
*split pea soup
*red lentil soup
*canned garbanzo beans into a salad( rinse befor eating)

Hope this helps!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-09, 17:28
For Real This Time

Plan: SB (Sorta Beachy)
Stats: 272/260/165 Female 68 inches (5'8")
BF:

Hummus!!!! I love hummus!! Especially with red bell pepper strips for dipping - YUM.

I also make a lot of stews and chilis, etc - beans are a natural addition to these dishes.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-09, 17:54

BF:

You know after thinking about it and searching the web and roasting some garbanzo beans this afternoon, we really don't need to eat that much.

1/3 - 1/2 cup wasn't much.

Your ideas are great....I still would like to make my own hummus as right now I'm eating the Athenos one and far down the ingred. I saw HFCS......bummer
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-09, 18:37
For Real This Time

BF:

I found a very easy hummus recipe the other day. I will share if you like. I used to buy pre-made, but I'm trying to save money and it's cheaper to make my own.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-09, 18:40
For Real This Time

BF:

Here's the one I made - it's very easy. I may experiment with seasonings though - I thought the cumin was a little weird in it. (Not bad, but just not what I normally expect hummus to taste like)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Extra-...mus/Detail.aspx
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-09, 21:55
Attitude is a Choice

Yes, cumin has a strong flavor and added to hummus could overpower it. I'd just add a dash of it.

I buy the Sabra brand around here....many flavors to chose from and I like the spicy one.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 11:05

BF:

Thanks Donna for sharing (I will be experimenting soon) and Judy that's the same brand my sister eats if she hasn't made her own. They sell it at Sam's Club in Green Bay and just by chance I'm going there this weekend so I'll have to buy some! I like spicy too!!!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 11:11
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wnabthin
Thanks Donna for sharing (I will be experimenting soon) and Judy that's the same brand my sister eats if she hasn't made her own. They sell it at Sam's Club in Green Bay and just by chance I'm going there this weekend so I'll have to buy some! I like spicy too!!!

Great!

Its important to note that this is a calorie dense food as it also contains fats....so watch your portion size as 2 tbs is a serving.

I like mine with sugar snap peas!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 13:36

Plan: South Beachy/ My Plan
Stats: 206/159.0/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 77%

I like black beans with a little salsa on top.
Or No fat refried beans, they aren't as dry as their WHOLE counterparts They even make, chile and lime and spicy jalepeno no fat refried beans, tasty!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-09, 19:04

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default De-lurking for a second

I know virtually nothing about the South Beach Diet, but if you are allowed to eat soups containing beans -- then you can purchase cans of black beans or cans of chili beans -- and add either to a pot of water containing mixed vegetables.... then you flavor it using a bit of salsa, perhaps a tablespoon of spaghetti sauce, or a couple tablespoons of diced tomatoes -- and of course garlic & onions.

I first started cooking with canned black beans when someone posted what they said was a SB recipe -- it was delicious -- you cut up all colors of peppers, saute them with onion in a frying pan, and then add a can of black beans.

I don't know anything about the phases, or what phase that poster was at, but it was simply a delicious meal. Black beans are very tasty.

Something I am CRAVING while on Atkins.

Anyway, if you check out recipes for SOUP which used canned beans for an ingredient, you'll be busy for ages & ages - plenty of great recipes online.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-09, 20:10
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
I know virtually nothing about the South Beach Diet, but if you are allowed to eat soups containing beans -- then you can purchase cans of black beans or cans of chili beans -- and add either to a pot of water containing mixed vegetables.... then you flavor it using a bit of salsa, perhaps a tablespoon of spaghetti sauce, or a couple tablespoons of diced tomatoes -- and of course garlic & onions.

I first started cooking with canned black beans when someone posted what they said was a SB recipe -- it was delicious -- you cut up all colors of peppers, saute them with onion in a frying pan, and then add a can of black beans.

I don't know anything about the phases, or what phase that poster was at, but it was simply a delicious meal. Black beans are very tasty.

Something I am CRAVING while on Atkins.

Hi and thanks for de-lurking and sharing!!

FYI- we get to eat beans in all phases of SB......
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-09, 20:37

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

First, sautee onions, celery, bell peppers, garlic and jalapeno peppers (optional) in butter or olive oil.

Then slow cook navy beans with the sauteed vegetables. I don't think you'll be thinking about the beans being dry...

My wife likes to drop a handful or two of mixed beans and or nuts into her soups. We have soup as a side dish once or twice each day.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-02-09, 16:17
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
First, sautee onions, celery, bell peppers, garlic and jalapeno peppers (optional) in butter or olive oil.

Then slow cook navy beans with the sauteed vegetables. I don't think you'll be thinking about the beans being dry...

My wife likes to drop a handful or two of mixed beans and or nuts into her soups. We have soup as a side dish once or twice each day.

Thanks for this, Ron!!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-02-09, 19:20
For Real This Time

BF:

The other day I was out of hummus so I improvised a black bean dip that was really yummy - and my kids loved it too.

Took one can of black beans, rinsed and drained them, and mashed them with a fork. Then added some store-bought salsa (adjust the amount to taste - I think I added maybe 1/2 - 2/3 cup??), some minced garlic, fresh cilantro, lime juice and a little cumin. Didn't measure any ingredients, sorry, but they're all SB safe so the quantities don't have to be exact. Mashed all this together and served it with raw veggies for dipping - YUM!!!!