Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Mon, Feb-15-16, 11:28

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
That looks good but what is tapioca flour? Does it have carbs like corn starch?

It's pretty carby. I mean, it's better than downing wheat pizza crust, but it's not low carb by any means. I have cooked with it a lot.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Mon, Feb-15-16, 11:32

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

hmmmm she's a little loose with her carbs and sugar
I could do it too at that age
Unfortunately it all catches up with us at a certain age.
  #138   ^
Old Mon, Feb-15-16, 13:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

Yes, I often think that reading posts on this site; "older" metabolisms often don't tolerate higher carbs the way they might have when young(er).

I know I used to be able to eat a little fruit, I can't touch it now (except for occasional lemon/lime juice or small amounts of berries). Even a "healthy" apple or orange is too much, I think it may be the fructose.

Anyway, looked up MDA to see if there was a post on tapioca flour: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear.../#axzz40GWNmbbF

I think I'll pass, parmesan cheese, sesame seeds, or crunchy spice mixtures seem to be good enough to me for coating veggies or other things and then baking.
  #139   ^
Old Mon, Feb-15-16, 13:47

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazia
Yes, I often think that reading posts on this site; "older" metabolisms often don't tolerate higher carbs the way they might have when young(er).

I know I used to be able to eat a little fruit, I can't touch it now (except for occasional lemon/lime juice or small amounts of berries). Even a "healthy" apple or orange is too much, I think it may be the fructose.

Anyway, looked up MDA to see if there was a post on tapioca flour: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear.../#axzz40GWNmbbF

I think I'll pass, parmesan cheese, sesame seeds, or crunchy spice mixtures seem to be good enough to me for coating veggies or other things and then baking.

I guess he answered that question, starch!
If I were going to sacrifice carbs to a starch it certainly wouldn't be tapioca starch
My favorite low-carb breading has always been crushed pork rinds with a mayo coating. The only carbs in that method are the little bit in the mayo. Some people also mix parmesan cheese into the crushed pork rinds. I've done it and it didn't add anything to the flavor and it just adds carbs.
  #140   ^
Old Mon, Feb-15-16, 13:52

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Oprah is the last person I would look to for advice on how to maintain a healthy weight. Not that I disparage her many attempts, it's just that she has never given the LCHF platform any airtime on her shows and that seems highly suspect to me.
Just reading Gary Taubes Why We Get Fat where he illustrates the history of "diets" or scientific study on obesity is sketchy at best.
Why has Oprah never pursued LCHF? Because there's no money in it.
  #141   ^
Old Tue, Feb-16-16, 05:30

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekRibs
Why has Oprah never pursued LCHF? Because there's no money in it.

I think it was Jey, earlier in this thread, who said Oprah tried the Carb Addicts diet and failed on it. So she generalized from this program to all LC diets. Evidently she doesn't have the time to do her own research but just listens to others and takes their advice. I could be wrong, but anyone serious about losing weight does their own research. When we rely on others to tell us how to eat/live we are always subject to their interpretations which may not suit us at all. Changing the way we eat takes time, concentration and effort.
  #142   ^
Old Fri, Feb-26-16, 09:09

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Oprah Hasn’t Reversed Sales, Subscriber Losses at Weight Watchers

http://www.wsj.com/articles/oprah-h...hers-1456440538

Quote:

Oprah Hasn’t Reversed Sales, Subscriber Losses at Weight Watchers
Revenue, number of active subscribers continue to fall

Oprah Winfrey’s highly publicized weight loss isn’t yet fueling big gains for Weight Watchers International Inc.

The first glimpse into the impact of Ms. Winfrey’s investment and participation in the weight-loss plan disappointed investors, who sunk shares nearly 25% in late-trading Thursday.

Shares in the long-struggling company surged in October when it disclosed that Ms. Winfrey bought a 10% stake and joined its board. Since then Ms. Winfrey has appeared in ads, touted her progress on social media and hosted a conference call with members.

Yet the New York-based company’s revenue fell 21% in the quarter ended Jan. 2 as its membership rolls continued to shrink. It was the 12th straight quarter that revenue declined at Weight Watchers.

Active subscribers, a closely watched metric among investors, dropped 4.8% to 2.4 million. Investors have been banking on Ms. Winfrey’s involvement, plus an overhaul Weight Watchers recently made to its program, to reverse its slide in members. Active subscribers had declined 12.7% in the previous quarter.

“Our trajectory is turning around,” said CEO Jim Chambers. The company said the most recent quarter was the first time since 2011 that it had a positive year-over-year global recruitment, led by strength in North America. “Recruitment is an indicator that comes before revenue and it takes time for revenue to catch up.”

Executives said response to Ms. Winfrey has been strong and Mr. Chambers predicted the company would increase both revenue and active subscribers in the current year. But Weight Watchers forecast another net loss in the first quarter.

In its fourth quarter, Weight Watchers reported a net loss of $11.3 million, including an $8.3 million charge related to Ms. Winfrey’s investment. Revenue was $259.2 million, compared with $327.8 million in the year ago period, which was one week longer.

In December, just ahead of the crucial New Year’s resolution season, Weight Watchers replaced its eating plan with a new program called “Beyond the Scale.” It revamped its eating guidelines, placed more emphasis on fitness and offered new motivation tools.

Weight Watchers offers a new way of gauging Ms. Winfrey’s sway with consumers. In January, Ms. Winfrey told her roughly 30 million Twitter followers that she had lost 26 pounds while still eating bread every day, and pushed Weight Watchers’ share price up 20% from the previous day’s close. Some 40,000 Weight Watchers members participated in a conference call with Ms. Winfrey in January, the company said, and nearly twice that listened to the replay.

Weight Watchers’ shares, which were trading below $7 before Ms. Winfrey invested and surged above $25 in November, were down $4.15 to $11.40 in late-trading Thursday.

Shares of smaller weight-loss rival Nutrisystem Inc. fell 9% after hours. Nutrisystem, whose eating plan focuses on selling meals, reported a 28% drop in profit despite higher sales,

Good thing she can still eat her bread!, but apparently the public isn't buying it.
  #143   ^
Old Fri, Feb-26-16, 10:44
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
http://www.wsj.com/articles/oprah-h...hers-1456440538

Good thing she can still eat her bread!, but apparently the public isn't buying it.

Good comment, JEY!

Here's another article:
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/bus...-plunge-n526346

This news is blowing up all over the place.
  #144   ^
Old Fri, Feb-26-16, 14:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Somewhere I read the shares are on a crash diet. LOL!
  #145   ^
Old Sat, Feb-27-16, 04:36

WW on a slide Begs for corny diet jokes

"But since Oprah first got involved with Weight Watchers, the stock price has fluctuated more wildly than the weight of a person on a fad diet. (Grapefruit, anyone?)
The stock is now down 50% this year and is trading nearly 60% below the peak.
The value of Oprah's stake in Weight Watchers fell by more than $27 million on Friday alone. But don't shed any tears for her. Oprah is still sitting on about a $30 million profit since October. And she is continuing to eat bread after all."

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/26/inv...tock/index.html

The interview CNN put with this story about a Foodie editor/model is that even busy millennialist living in a city care where their food comes from and about being healthy. Cardboard packets of frozen Smart Ones desserts don't cut it.
  #146   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-16, 11:13

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.8/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

I wonder if Oprah has ever seriously tried a low carb diet….like Atkins!
  #147   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-16, 13:37

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Not likely. It's one of those WOE that people can do themselves with a little knowledge without having to invest in a weight loss program.
  #148   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-16, 04:13

You will see her claim she has tried LC, but as Dr Eades described back in 2008, she picked the worse version for her...CAD. For someone who gets that wild, crazy eyed look when moaning "I Love Bread" a Reward Meal is the kiss of death. https://proteinpower.com/drmike/200.../oprahs-plight/
He adds the social and emotional pulls around her diet problems too, a sympathetic article.
However, as others have already written, the more cynical answer is there is no money in it. Tell her fans not to eat bread, rather than sell them fake breads and diet bars? No profit in that advice.
Bringing back this thread reminds me..has anyone seen an update on her WW weight loss successes?

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Apr-23-16 at 04:47.
  #149   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-16, 08:04
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Bringing back this thread reminds me..has anyone seen an update on her WW weight loss successes?

I've read that she started the diet back in August 2015 .. decided to purchase shares in the company in October. By January, with the release of her "I love bread" ad, she'd lost 26 lbs. In the last week or so, there are reports that she's down a grand total of 30 lbs, so 4 more lbs since January.

One can't help but wonder where she'd be at if she'd conquered her love for bread instead of glorifying it
  #150   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-16, 07:17

I wish Oprah only the best of improved health on her WW diet, but to me, obsessing over "points" does not lead to a healthy relationship with food and controlling cravings. Not that I'm keeping track, but this was on a news feed...
She hasn't lost another pound since April...

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/03/enter...loss/index.html