Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 07:02
Registered Member

Plan: Pesco vegetarian/lowcarb
Stats: 180/175/127 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 9%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmango
I read this info from a book I had recently checked out of the library , pesco vegetarian , I don't eat poultry, red meat or pork, some dairy,this is more for my lifestyle mainly my breakfast meals i have trouble with same old thing eggs, oatmeal or dry cereal~`

I am looking a low carb high protein shake any suggestions!! no milk mixtures, don't like milk. I knew A lady who mix hers with diet coke what do you think!!

Last edited by sweetmango : Tue, Jun-29-04 at 07:03. Reason: attn; kathy
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 10:19
Registered Member

BF:

I am a Pesco vegetarian , since june 7, is when I cut out poultry, I don't eat red meat or pork/ fish, no seafood , some dairy! I am a coffee drinker, and I drink herbal green tea/flavored kind, need all the support I can get. also trying to adjust to low carb. This is a life time change for me!!
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 12:43
Registered Member

BF:

karen ! I am consider to be a pesco vegetarian, no meat, just fish, some dairy, I am getting into Protein drinks, and I feel better, not as tired. Any Sugestions I want my carb level not to go 30!
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 16:46

Plan: researching
Stats: 240/240/160 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have recently been told by me Primary Care Physician that I need to watch my carbs in order to lose weight. On the same day, my Neurologist told me that, because of the medication I take (Depakote), I need to watch my proteins, because I can't digest them as well. Any suggestions?
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 10:59

Plan: my own
Stats: 279/258/180 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

thanks karen for the info.....I am starting this eating plan and am a bit lost......you really helped!
blessed be
izyb
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-05, 12:37

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 220/216/145
BF:n/a
Progress:
Cool Thanks

Hi

I am very happy to find this forum. I wanted to do the veggie low-carb because I was on the atkins low carb and it works but I want to stop eating meat. Presently I do eat lot of vegetables, fruit and nuts (raw and cook) I am more drifting to eating mostly raw food, vegetarian style eating plus loose weight for optimum living.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-05, 12:50

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 220/216/145
BF:n/a
Progress:

Hi, Can anyone give to tips on what to eat during the induction period on the veggie low carb or direct me to a site that will instruct me?

My present stat is 220/210/145

thanks
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Oct-01-05, 20:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 325/220/155 Female 5'6"
BF:not sure
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by joycelyn
Wow! I am so glad I found this forum! I too am a vegetarian - lacto ovo ( I do eat eggs and dairy), and it's a relief to see others who want to reduce carbs yet maintain the integrity of a vegetarian eating plan.

I am on the Insulin Resistance Diet; it's a modified protein/carb balanced eating plan that lets you eat things like beans and dairy, lots of low-starch veg, along with measured amounts of fruits and grains. Nothing is denied, so this is something I can live with the rest of my life.

I modify the Insulin Resistance Diet to include more fats than they allow, as I feel their emphasis on a low fat diet is outdated, but other than that, I am thrilled with this eating plan. Besides, I'm a firm believer that the best diet around is the one we tweak to suit our own needs!

You can go on Amazon.com and view, I think, 38 pages of the book for free, if you're interested!

If anyone wants to swap recipes or needs a particular vegetarian recipe, just let me know...I have lots of low carbohydrate books on my shelves, and I also enjoy modifying meat-containing recipes to be vegetarian ones.

Jocelyn, what book on amazon are you talking about?

april
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Oct-01-05, 20:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 325/220/155 Female 5'6"
BF:not sure
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
It depends on how it's made. Less/more chickpeas, less/more tahini, garlic and lemon juice. There's a pretty good carb counter under Tools at the top left of the page and fitday.com is another way to figure out carb counts.

You can make a pretty decent hummous out of tofu or canned black soy beans if you don't object to using soy. And, it's lower in carbs, higher in protein.

Karen

Karen, where can I find the recipe for the hummus made from black beans and soy?

april
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Nov-03-06, 23:48

Plan: south beach
Stats: 187/185/154 Female 5ft 8in
BF:
Progress:
Question are unlimited lentils allowed

I couldnt help but see that most of the veg lc diet is based on soy. how abt lentils?? are unlimite portions of it allowed??
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Nov-05-06, 19:38

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Ronchick, it's harder to be vegetarian and low carb without soy, but if you are ovo-lacto, you don't have to use soy unless you want to.

I eat all of it--eggs, dairy, and soy--and I also include seeds, nuts, and small amounts of lentils. I wouldnt say 'unlimited amounts,' since lentils like all vegetarian protein sources have some level of carbs. So I suppose the way to put it is that you can eat all the lentils you want up to to your daily carb maximum. That usually isn't an issue on Protein Power's 40g ECC per day...but it can be pretty limited amounts if you're trying to stick to the 20g of Atkins induction. Hope this helps.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Nov-06-06, 00:46

Plan: south beach
Stats: 187/185/154 Female 5ft 8in
BF:
Progress:

thanks Gaelen...i dont really like the taste of most soy products....i mostly have about 2 cups of lentils a day...i hope that is okay...though i have been on p1 for a week now and have lost only 2 lbs
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Nov-07-06, 21:07

Ronchick, 1 cup of cooked lentils is 39g carbs (16g fiber, so about 23g ECC per cup). Two cups would be 46g effective carbs per day...not counting any other carbs you take in, that's pretty high and might explain why you're not losing much. Have you read any low carb books for guidance?
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Nov-11-06, 21:11

Plan: Pesco-vegetarian
Stats: 145/130/115 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress:

This is my 1st holiday season as a vegetarian and I have no idea what to eat for thanksgiving. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Nov-13-06, 16:53

Try stuffing a pumpkin, winter squash, zucchini or portobello mushroom caps with a mixture of finely diced mushrooms, shredded zucchini, ground walnuts or almonds, tofu or cream cheese, herbs, etc.. Add a side of either steamed greens or spinach salad with red onion, and top the whole thing off with a dessert of whipped cream with cranberry/orange drizzle. And enjoy!