Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 11:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/201/145 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Anyone still using coconut oil?

I did a search and found lots of threads for coconut oil, but they mainly seem to be from summertime (I think that's when the Woman's World article came out). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone is still using it and what results you are having. I have been on Thyroid meds for over 20 years (I'm 44). I have had my thyroid removed twice, so not sure how that works for me. I just started this WOE, but am still using the Coconut oil. I buy mine at www.tropicaltraditions.com and have learned alot baout it from reading the website and books out on the subject. Since it is an antibacterial, I had a friend who had SEVERE psoriasis on his legs and got him to topically apply the coconut oil several times a day. He says it feels SO much better now!
Let me know what you're doing with Coconut Oil!
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 16:44
Registered Member

Stats: 145/135/120 Female 67.00
BF:24%
Progress: 40%

I am still using coconut oil. I love it! I used to be cold all the time and when I take three tablespoons a day, my body temperature rises. I hope this means that my metabolism is also higher.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 15:59
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I get my coconut oil from wildernessfamilynutrition.com

You can get coconut oil by the keg if you really want, and it's very high quaklity. They have other coconut products I just love.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 00:20

Stats: 280/188/150 Female 66"
BF:Day37=2"loss belly
Progress: 71%

I do believe in the health benefits of coconut oil but I have a concern with it effecting weight loss on a low carb WOE since it is "converted into energy – just like a carbohydrate". If your body is being fueled by this fat then would it NOT dip into your fat stores??

"A big question at this point has to come to the mind of any low carber. If MCFAs are treated like carbohydrates, is it possible that they would raise insulin levels, like carbohydrates do?"
per Jim Stone. Apparently he has a similiar concern as I.

"MCFA, however, are digested and utilized differently. They are not packaged into lipoproteins and do not circulate in the bloodstream like other fats, but are sent directly to the liver where they are immediately converted into energy – just like a carbohydrate." by Bruce Fife, N.D

I have been using coconut oil since last summer and have gained weight - I wouldn't blame it on the oil though. (I wasn't dieting and have serious health problems.) I have been using expeller pressed oil and have gone through gallons of it. Today I used for the first time 2 Tbls. virgin coconut oil on 3 Tbls. flax seed meal & got the "rush" I've heard others experience - but I've never eaten coconut oil quite as near as out of the bottle as this before. I will try the same with the expeller pressed another day.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 01:07
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

I stopped using my coconut oil for a bit and I'm starting it up again. Not for weight loss, I think I'm doing fine in that department but for dry scalp. I suffer from dry scalp causing me to flake like if it was snowing. I hate it.

When I started using Coconut oil my head was always in great condition. I stopped it and now I'm flaking again. I hate the itch too.

Coconut oil really does have alot of great benefits.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 01:32

Stats: 225/194/130 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

http://www.coconutoil-online.com/

I bought coconut oil here after searching all over the net comparing prices. I use it to stir fry veggies and meat sometimes. It tastes wonderful!

The oil I got here has a great smell and taste. It's very white when solid. If I ever get to the point of using lc bread, I am going to try it with splenda,coconut oil and cinnamon for some cinnamon toast!

I didn't know it metabolized like carbs though! Agh!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 07:15
Registered Member

Stats: 145/135/120 Female 67.00
BF:24%
Progress: 40%
Default Stopped Using Coconut Oil

I stopped using the oil several months ago. I tried it for 3-4 weeks and my weight stalled. I resumed losing when I stopped. It could have been a coincidence, but I am not taking a chance.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 08:25

Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

I don't think it'e metabolised like carbs as in affects insulin. I think its just that it is used straight for energy like carbs are.

How do people use their coconut oil? Is it solid or liquid? What do you do with it?
Thanks for any tips.
Jay
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 08:31

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

I am just about to start using it myself, my CO arrived today

Would be interested to know if people are just eating it straight from a spoon (which I've already tried and didn't really like) and/or using it to cook with, and obviously which method they think is best.

Lily (AFWife) - do you use it straight on your scalp, or just ingest it ?? I'm interested because I also have a flaky itching scalp, so was hoping that the CO might help.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 08:32
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I still use it occasionally for cooking, but when I took it as suggested in the article and by some on the board, I not only stalled, but GAINED weight. far from the weight loss miracle it was made to sound like for ME.