Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 07:21

Plan: CALP
Stats: 180/164/120
BF:
Progress:
Default Love this program

I have only been on the CALP for a week but have dropped 7 lbs from my highest point about 4 pounds average. I am thrilled.

One question. Has anyone else tried the cinnamon bread recipe in the book? I tried it last night. The recipe called for you to bake it at 300 degrees for 45 minutes. Mine took well over 1 1/2 hours and I probably could have baked it another 15 minutes. Any idea what I could have done wrong? Tasted good this morning though.

Joyce
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 12:01

Plan: Mostly Atkins these days
Stats: 260/225.9/175
BF:
Progress: 40%

I made the cinnamon bread -- and threw three quarters of it away! I thought it had a very sharp, bitter taste to it. Maybe because of the cream of tartar? I don't know. I just know I'd rather go without than eat it. Of course, that's just MHO.

P.S. I've been on CALP for less than a week, but so far I'm loving it. The cravings have really been reduced. I didn't think that was possible!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 13:09

BF:
Progress:

Hi Stormy:
I didn't have any sugar substitute so baked it without sugar. The taste was ok. At least it gave me something else to eat for breakfast. It just took forever to cook.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 05:47

Plan: cad/calp
Stats: 200/186/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default I've tried the bread too

I've tried those bread recipes too and they never seem to turn out and it is the soy flour that is so bad. I had rather get used to not having bread . I find the eggs and meat of choice is very filling and keeps me from getting hungry. When I used the bread , I would be starving in a short time. To get used to not having the bread at breakfast, I would take a slice of chunk cheese of some kind and eat as bread with my eggs and meat and now I don't miss at all and don't have the cheese to much anymore except for the enjoyment of eating. Hope this helps. WAwtigress
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 06:57

BF:
Progress:

I had never tried the soy flour before. I brought some cheese for a snack if I get hungry but I am amazed how long I can go now without craving something to eat.

I was soooo proud of my self yesterday. One of the girls brought in chocolate chip cookies(my favourites) and I declined without feeling the least bit deprived.

What a difference in only a week. I may just make it this time. I have tried so many diets, Atkins, Weight Watchers, 5 day Miracle Diet, etc,e tc. I lose a little at first and then it stops so I lose my motivation.

Thanks so much for all your help. Joyce
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 08:43

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Question BREADS????????????

Since you all were discussing breads, I was wondering if we will ever be able to eat the SUGAR BUSTERS BREADS. I am not sure of the carb count, but I do have a grocery, in my area, who is selling it.
I am on the Atkins and I am so proud of you people who can do the CAD/CALP. To me, all I would do is gain or maintain on that WOE. But, good for you guys!
When you have a desert, for your reward meal, what kind can you have? I am just curious? Do ya'll not worry about the carb count at all , during that one hour reward meal?
JoAnn in TEXAS
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 09:03

Plan: Mostly Atkins these days
Stats: 260/225.9/175
BF:
Progress: 40%

If you'll check out my journal, you'll see that although I've only been on CALP for less than a week myself, I HAVE lost weight -- even eating pasta, bread, and baked potato -- as long as those items are part of my Reward Meal. During the day I stick to proteins and vegetables. I never even thought about how many carbs I was taking in. Then I went to fitday.com last night and plugged in my food list for the day and found that I had taken in 54 carbs for the day. That was a little disconcerting when I read on here about people staying under 20 carbs a day. Then I said to myself, "Self," I said, "it DOESN"T matter! As long as you aren't getting those cravings, aren't eating carbs at anytime other than your Reward Meal, and ARE losing weight, that's all that matters!"

I've decided that I'm just going to keep following the CALP program and NOT worry about how many carbs I take in. Apparently, on this WOE, the TIMING is more important than the number.

Right now, I'm satisfied. I'm NOT hungry. I drink about a gallon of water a day and I'm not going to stress over NUMBERS!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 09:20

BF:
Default Thanks Stormy!!!!!!

In your opinon, what is the difference between the 2 books:
CAD and CALP ?

Your WOE is certainly worth checking into. The only problem is, I have about 40 pounds to lose. I don't know if I should be swithching with that much to lose?

Do you think the CAD/CALP is a plan for someone with only a small amout to lose?

I must admit, I am discouraged with the Atkins rate of weight loss. I have been on the 20 gr. a day for 3 weeks.........NO CHEATING................and only have lost 8 pounds!

I most definitely will check into this CAD/CALP. Just wondering which book would be the most important to get?

Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 11:53

Plan: cad/calp
Stats: 200/186/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default 2 lbs a week is all you should lose

on any diet after the initial induction on Atkins or the entry phase on CAd. If you lose more than 2 lbs. a week , It will not stay gone. Both books state this. I'm on Cad/Calp and lost very slowly when I first switched from Atkins. In fact , the first two weeks 1.4 lbs and the 2nd 2 weeks only .8 or something but then regularly 1/2 to 1 lbs every week . On Atkins , I went 3 weeks without losting anything after induction so I switched and started to lose slowly again . you may gain on the week but that 's why you average for the week and after a few weeks you'll see the difference. I've lost on the average of 1 lb for each week I've been on it which is right on target.You can have any sweet you want at the reward meal ,and have anything you want at the meal but must eat within the hour. It has to do with the insulin your body produces in this amount of time . The book will go into depth and explain it to you. Hope this helps some. Wawtigress
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 12:01

BF:
Default Thanks Watigrass!

I have got a request at the Library for both the CAD and the CALP. It just seems to good to be true! I will most definitely read both of the books to see if I can figure out how in the world you are allowed to eat that reward meal and still lose weight????

One piece of pie.............could be between 35-75 carbs.......then you have not counted your protein and veggie, yet? I hate to sound like such a skeptic, but I am sure you can understand when we, on Atkins, are so limited to the carbs.

And it doesn't seem that the people on ATkins are losing any faster than the CAD/CALP people.

Any comments on that?

Your help is so much apprecited!

Jo Ann on Atkins and getting tired of meat!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 12:14

Plan: Don't know
Stats: 260.2/254.2/150 Female 68in
BF:
Progress: 5%

CALP is actually pretty complicated. It's all based on insulin and it's not all fun and games because you cannot snack, not even sugar free gum or soda.
There is no ketosis involved. it's all about keeping insulin levels normal/low and reducing insulin resistance.
They say that when you start eating your reward meal, insulin is released. If you stop eating within an hour, no more is released, and they believe that it is the lack of high insulin that keep you from getting hungrier, and it makes your body use stored fat.

Hopefully it will be clearer when you read it. I seriously suggest you read CALP rather than CAD. I read both and CAD was basically all stories rather than useful information, and the chapter on insulin was very difficult to understand.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 12:20

BF:
Progress:

Hi Joann:
I have only been on the CALP for a week. Since it is my first week I am losing more and it will slow down I am sure next week. So far I have lost an average of 4 lbs and the scale said another pound today but that could be a little different tomorrow.

For the reward meal you can have that piece of pie but you must balance it out with equal parts protein and vegetables. I have been having a potato, or fruit usually but on Sunday I had a small piece of Triple Chill cake. I find that I only want a small piece and the fact that I am not deprived of anything I want at that one meal keeps me honest for the rest of the day.

I can only say that for me the CALP program is the best (and again I have only been on it a week) and is very easy to follow.

Hope that helps. Joyce
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 12:29

BF:
Default Howdy Meeker and Joyce!

Ya'll have been such a help to me! I am afraid I am getting ready to BLOW on the Atkins, and I wanted to think there might be another program I could try? And this CAD/CALP sounds like something I could live with. Whether I would lose any weight on it ...............I don't know?
But, it makes sense, like Joyce said , if you know you can have a piece of pie or cake, you don't have to have such a large piece. Small portions is the name of the entire diet game, I am thinking!
I certainly will try this WOE before I blow the entire thing! And go back to my old ways of eating. That I do not want to do!

It certainly will not hurt for me to try this WOE for a while. Since I don't have either book............can you tell me what your limit of carbs is on your 2 meals in the early part of the day and then how many carbs allowed for the reward meal?

Hoping to hear from you CAD/CALP guys!
Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 15:14

Plan: Don't know
Stats: 260.2/254.2/150 Female 68in
BF:
Progress: 5%

Your 2 meals are protein and veggies, period. There's a list in the book, they're called "craving reducing foods". There is not an emphasis on carb counting. There is no snacking, no drinks except water, unless you are losing more than 3 lbs per week. Then they suggest you snack to reduce the dangerously high speed of your weight loss.
Your reward meal is as many carbs as you want as long as it's balanced with veggies and protein. Again I say... there is no ketosis on this diet.
If you stick to lower carb foods in your reward meal though, you may stay in ketosis, but it is very unlikely. I "think" you'd have to eat less than 30 in that one meal, since it's about 60 in a whole day to stay in ketosis.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 15:30

BF:
Default Thanks Meeker!

Thanks for the mini run down on the CALP. I am anxious to get the book from the library.
I am feeling very tired of the Atkins........and I am so fearful of blowing the whole thing. But, my hope is to continue on the Atkins until I get to read the book. I will begin to think about what I would eat if I did go to the CALP.
When you eat the reward meal............do kinda divide your plate into thirds visually? Salad first........then on the plate Protein, carb, desert? Is that kinda the way you do it?
I can see if you eat a big salad before the meal.....then you won't tend to eat as much that is on the plate.
Any suggestions you have would be appreciated. Give me an example of one of your reward meals, if you don't mind?
Jo Ann in TEXAS