Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-01, 18:19

Plan: induction just finished
Stats: 274/248/215
BF:
Progress:
Default I have hit a slow down!

I have just hit a slow down on my weight loss! I'm not quite sure why. If you don't eat very much at all on this diet could that cause a slow down? I just don't feel hungry very much anymore, so I don't really eat much. I eat dinner usually, and that's it. I have stayed in ketosis for like a month now. Is that ok? Because I still feel fine. I'm also popping metabolife, is that ok? It is just a herbal pill that speeds up your metabolism. Could someone please help me out?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-01, 18:31

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Bri, you need to eat. I know ketosis makes you not feel hungry, but your body needs fuel. You should be eating 10 to 12 times your body weight, this can be done by adding things like olive oil, mayonnaise, butter, olives, nuts and seeds, avocados, sardines and by eating the skin on your chicken. These are calorie dense food and a little goes a long way.

Remember, 3 meals a day, more is better; 6 smaller ones spread out. And it is important that you drink your water.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-01, 19:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 274/265/170 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

You sound like me... it is a frustrating place to be. All I can suggest is what I keep telling myself... hold on, eat properly and the results will come eventually. I also find it very helpful to graph weight loss so that when we hit these rough spots we can ACTUALLY SEE how far we have come by eating this way. Best wishes
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 14:29

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Check your Journal

Congratulations - you have done very well.

I would second everything that Natruska has said. When you do not eat enough your body starts conserving energy, you burn less and weight loss slows down.

Have you been keeping a journal? Check if there is anything you have eaten recently that could have caused this slowdown.

Take your measurements. Inches are as important as weight. Most importantly stay with it. Check out the Tips on Stalls and Plateaus. http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips008.html

Take care.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 16:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 135/135/120
BF:
Progress:
Default slow down

HOW ABOUT EATING TOO MUCH!!!!!!!! That wont make you lose either!!!!!

HA HA Just Kidding I am in a weird mood!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 00:00

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up Interesting point to ponder on

{Orsolag: HOW ABOUT EATING TOO MUCH!!!!!!!! That wont make you lose either!!!!! }

That is actually an interesting point. On Low-fat I remember every now and again I would get pleasure (?! sounds wierd now) out of eating far too much - enough not to be able to move afterward. And I did do it quite regularly.

I have not done that once since starting Atkins. I eat; I am full; I stop. It actually feels good not to have experienced that horrible heavy, bloated, full of food feeling for so long.

Thanks Orsolag !

As for Bri-Guy could it be the metabolife pill you are taking somehow affects hunger pangs? It is important to eat 10-12 times your weight in calories. Otherwise your body thinks food supplies are going down and starts conserving them instead of using them up.

Take care.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 18:39

Stats: 200/174/135 Female 5ft 3in
BF:(Postpartum)
Progress: 40%
Unhappy Sympathizing With You

These past few weeks have been slow for me too. Think maybe I'll start a journal so I can look back and see what's up. I HAVEN'T been in ketoacidosis since the Induction phase, but slowly have lost weight until the last 2 weeks.
Thinking maybe about going back onto the induction for another week. Maybe I've added too many carbs!?!

Enough about me. Hang in there, remember this isn't a DIET but a WOL.Good Luck and post if you have a breakthrough and start losing again. I'd like to know your secret!

Mary B
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 18:56

Plan: referencing Atkins
Stats: 330/282.5/175
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default wow

I learned a lot from all of your replies. I have two questions.
what is ? I already forgot the word ketosis? Is it a pill? What is the pill that makes you not hungry? What little miracle do I not know about.

Are you saying if you weigh 300 pounds you should consume 3000 to 3600 calories a day? Are you kidding? I am in big trouble if this is true. I am eating about 900-1000 cal. 20 carbs and 20 fats. Is this too litlle.

I promise, I will start researching some of these programs as soon as I can have the books sent to me.
Kathie
Oh, and how do you get all those little characters to dance around at the end of your messages? hee hee!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 19:16

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Kathie - click on the smilies located at the left of the screen and whichever one you click on will insert in your message

The more you weigh, the more calories you consume in everyday life (digesting food, moving around, etc), as you lose weight, you will need to reduce your calories so that you continue to lose.

As I said in another post, eating too can cause you to stop losing weight.

There are more precise formulas to calculate caloric intake, but the 10-12 x your body weight is a good start.

I'm at 145 and I probably eat about 1500-1600 calories a day when I am maintaining - so you are eating 1/3 less calories than I am. That is not good.

I know it sounds wacky to tell you to EAT MORE! but it's true. Isn't this WOE amazing?

BTW - when you eat more it needs to be more protein and fats - not necessarily more carbs.