Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-24, 14:59

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Observational studies on red wine were wrong

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/17/...&smid=url-share

Quote:
The possibility that a glass or two of red wine could benefit the heart was “a lovely idea” that researchers “embraced,” Dr. Stockwell said. It fit in with the larger body of evidence in the 1990s that linked alcohol to good health.

In one 1997 study that tracked 490,000 adults in the United States for nine years, for example, researchers found that those who reported having at least one alcoholic drink per day were 30 to 40 percent less likely to die from cardiovascular disease than those who didn’t drink. They were also about 20 percent less likely to die from any cause.

By the year 2000, hundreds of studies had reached similar conclusions, Dr. Stockwell said. “I thought the science was in,” he said.

Quote:
The studies were further researched to account for biases and found different results.

Since then, many more studies, including one Dr. Stockwell and his colleagues published in 2023, have confirmed that alcohol is not the health drink it was once believed to be.

In 2022, researchers reported graver news: Not only was there no cardiovascular benefit to drinking alcohol, it could even increase the risk of heart issues, said Dr. Leslie Cho, a cardiologist at the Cleveland Clinic.

Today, more and more research shows that even one drink per day can increase your chances of developing conditions like high blood pressure and an irregular heart rhythm, both of which can lead to stroke, heart failure or other health consequences, she said.

For decades, red wine was touted as healthy based on biased observational studies. Based only on observational studies, red meat has been blamed for health problems for even longer. Red meat is still considered unhealthy by most of the medical community.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-24, 17:39

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Yup, too true.

My favorite is beef. I can eat that fir days and turn my nose up at anything else. Beef is my preferred meat.

I dont drink. Maybe one a year. Alcohol gets in the way of weight loss, and increase chances of cancer. Blue grapes have been my go to. I try to eat just the skin, but ya, slipping the skins only works with wild Concord grapes.

I struggle to trust old studies......
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-24, 18:23

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Considering the unpleasant digestive reaction I have to grapes in general (including grapes that have been fermented into wine), I've avoided wine and grapes in general for years.

I tried many times to have just a little wine, but it seems even an ounce or two is every bit as disruptive to my gut as a whole glass of wine.

I figured I must have been destined for heart problems due to my inability to consume all that healthy resveratrol, so this is good news.

Now, it'd be really nice if THEY would go back over the data about red meat, butter, and carbs, take notice of the biases and contradicting conclusions, and set the record straight on those too.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-24, 20:19

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

It is the sulphites in most wines & ciders in North America that makes them undrinkable for me now.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-24, 04:04

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
It is the sulphites in most wines & ciders in North America that makes them undrinkable for me now.

Agreed, and the high sugar content for "palatability."

I tried an organic, low sulphite, chardonnay from a local place with an enthused owner. It was delightfully fresh tasting, and made with traditional methods.

One glass is enjoyable and doesn't create anything unpleasant like a headache. I rarely have it, anyway. But for those special occasions, an organic wine might be the best choice.

From what I've read, it's similar to the bread situation in the UK. Modern bread takes all kinds of shortcuts which makes it less nutritious. I've concluded wine might be ruined by the same thinking. Judging from the beer fans among my friends, local breweries have the same appeal.

They eat and drink much more traditionally in Europe. I think that counts more than such low-rent producers want to admit.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-24, 10:46

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

One of my daughters gave me some kind of wine stirrer things that were supposed to remove the sulfites from wine, thinking that would make it possible for me to drink wine with no problems. The sulfites are apparently the culprit when it comes to headaches from drinking wine.

The thing is, I wasn't getting a headache from wine - I was getting The Runs from it, and the sulfites had nothing to do with that at all, because I have the same problem with fresh grapes, and grape juice too.

Obviously sulfites are a problem for some people, I just don't happen to be one of them. Or at least I don't think I am - I have a very low tolerance for alcohol anyway, and can be absolutely loopy on just an ounce or two of wine. I was never able to drink enough wine to cause a headache, because I'd be dashing (ok, stumbling) to the bathroom.

(If I ever get constipated, I certainly have a list of foods and drinks that will eliminate that problem in a HURRY.)