Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-25-21, 07:34

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Keto "ice cream"

I've become pretty good at adapting a lot of different foods. But the usual ice cream methods don't work for me.

I can find low carb. In boring flavors. But half a cup is not going to cut it and it's also too sweet for my adapted taste buds. Also, they don't use sweeteners I like.

I don't have the freezer room for an ice cream maker, which leaves out the traditional approach of making regular ice cream with other kinds of sweeteners. I tried the "ziploc bag with ice" approach, but it didn't work for me. And in every instance, the time gap between wanting it, and having it, stretched too long.

But now, I have something. Easy, quick to make, ingredients sit around until they are ready to be combined. High protein, low sweetener, and as many flavors as I can think of

3/4 cup Greek yogurt (I get 10% milkfat)
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup frozen raspberries (I like to buy them on sale before they go bad, and freeze them myself)
1 scoop protein powder

Mix, let the frozen fruit sit for 10 minutes. This stiffens the texture and lets frozen fruit reach the perfect state of thaw.

This would work without the protein powder, but that's my satiety. This turns a treat into nutrients. And the protein powder is where I get my sweetener: I get the kinds with stevia or erythritrol, which works well for me. And none of those additives we find in commercial low carb treats.

I can vary the fruit, too, but berries are the lowest sugar. From chocolate protein powder to those collagen drink mixes which come in flavors like tangerine or watermelon, I have a rainbow to choose from. I can even drop the fruit for less sugar if I have these kinds of flavors added to the mix.

And one bowl of this is a meal. Ice cream as a food? Close enough!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-25-21, 12:18

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Looks good !!!

My teens make an Ic cream smoothie by using frozen fruits. And I have used icecubes to decrease the amount of fruit. The blender makes a wonderful soft serve type ice cream in a short time if all ingredients are properly cold or frozen in advance.

While my son's banana soft serve is not keto friendly, it's fast and easy : frozen bananas, milk (or yogurt and water) plus honey. Easy method to adapt to low carb.

Rebel icecream has become my only keto commercial icecream to eat. Tried many brands and flavors..... none tick all the boxes for me like Rebel. The one issue is a whole pint can cause GI issues. Eating 3/4 pint of The triple chocolate didn't have that effect but not sure why. Was it the smaller amount consumed? Or us the triple chocolate a different formulation.

WB, thanks for sharing your new recipe.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-26-21, 05:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Rebel icecream has become my only keto commercial icecream to eat. Tried many brands and flavors..... none tick all the boxes for me like Rebel. The one issue is a whole pint can cause GI issues. Eating 3/4 pint of The triple chocolate didn't have that effect but not sure why. Was it the smaller amount consumed? Or us the triple chocolate a different formulation.

I only have access to Breyer's, where the second ingredient is malitol. No, no, no! This is the ingredient that inspires the hilarious what-gummy-bears-did-to-me entries in reviews

I would say the triple chocolate flavor probably has a different sweetener profile. But now I don't have to worry about that, since this version of a smoothie works the best for me. I might try mixing the protein powder with the fruit as an intermediate step, but knowing I don't have to do that if I'm tired and hungry is just another bonus.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-26-21, 05:30
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
3/4 cup Greek yogurt (I get 10% milkfat)
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup frozen raspberries (I like to buy them on sale before they go bad, and freeze them myself)
1 scoop protein powder

Mix, let the frozen fruit sit for 10 minutes. This stiffens the texture and lets frozen fruit reach the perfect state of thaw.

Thanks WereBear, I'll definitely be trying this. Just to clarify, do you mean that you let the fruit thaw for 10 minutes, then combine everything?

I can see this being a staple when it's hot and humid in the house and I ain't cooking.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-26-21, 07:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Just to clarify, do you mean that you let the fruit thaw for 10 minutes, then combine everything?

No, I mix everything at once, then let it sit. The icy fruit lends a more ice cream texture to the mix as it thaws into chilled, but still with substance.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-26-21, 08:41

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Thanks WereBear, I'll definitely be trying this. Just to clarify, do you mean that you let the fruit thaw for 10 minutes, then combine everything?

I can see this being a staple when it's hot and humid in the house and I ain't cooking.

Kristine, Ted Naiman's P:E version of this is 0% Fage yogurt, no sour cream. I use the Isopure no carb, low fat protein, there are flavors like Banana Cream, Strawberry, beside Chocolate. Thanks for the tip about defrosting the frozen berries in yogurt, WearBear. Keto ice cream, protein ice cream...very happy to have welcomed yogurt (and cottage cheese) back into my life

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Feb-27-21 at 05:53.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-21, 08:58

BF:

Wanted to add that this concoction also makes an excellent "sick food." Super-easy to make, not heavy when my appetite is iffy, and in scalable portions.

I got my first vaccine a week ago and while it didn't make me sick, it did mess up my sleep and my appetite like every other day. So this dish uses staples I can keep handy for such times.

And we all need something like that