Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 13:49
Renaissance Man

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 298/197.5/185 Male 66 inches
BF:26.08
Progress: 89%
Default some more questions...surprise surprise eh?

if a label says 0. grams of sugar per serving, can I assume it has some quantity of sugar since sugar was at least listed.....and then assign a 1 gram value to the specified serving amount and be well within a reasonable limit for accuracy?
Condiments on FitDay...? cannot seem to find things like A-1 Sauce. I can understand not finding my exotic favorites like Pickapepper but A-1 is kind of a major item.
Also, somebody pointed out that you can deduct the fiber content in carbs from veggies but where do you find out what those amounts are? I have sent for the two Netzer books but they won't come until mid-week. I'd eat a lot more broccoli and summer squash if the total carb count were definitely lower. Like tomatoes, I love them....it's just that I am trying desperately to stay really, really low carb for the time being.

Last edited by lasert : Sun, Jul-13-03 at 13:58.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 19:12

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hi Lasert!

The nutrition information for A 1 sauce can be found on its website:

http://www.a1sauce.com/product_main.htm#nutritional

If you don't find something on fit day, I would recommend just doing a search for the product brand name. Most larger companies are online now!

For fiber in veggies you can go to this site:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

Then you type in the name of the veggie you want to find, you can choose the amount - 100 grams, or 1 C. chopped, or 1 medium whole one, etc, etc. and then it says the carbs and fiber so you can easily subtract it. I use this site all the time!

I am not sure about the sugar question, I would probably just stick to the carbs listed and read the ingredients to see if there are any actual sugars in there. That method has worked fine for me so far!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 22:16
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%
Default Try the Hidden Carbs Inspector...

(Right-hand sidebar) Run the label ifo through, you may me suprised! Also, haelpful info on how many carbs are hidden in foods labeled 0 g carbs. In the US, a product with less than a gram of carbs can label it as zero.. even if it has .99 g of carbs. So you aren't aff the mark at ALL counting it as a gram if you suspect it's in there!

Good luck!