Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#241   ^
Old Sat, May-31-08, 23:09

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

I've read this thread but don't recall seeing anything about what to do about the current style of tops being long in length.

Approx. 95% of the tops I see these days hit me mid-thigh - very unflattering on me. I'm 5'3" and wear (to give an idea) a size Blue 3 in Lane Bryant jeans (under their new size system).

I have no clue what can/can't be altered and really can't afford to buy tops then pay to alter them and do not have the skill to alter myself.

How do I fix this problem - beisdes losing sizes and utilizing a 'rack' to increase my height? One idea I was thinking about is something I saw on Friday night's episode of What Not to Wear. The gal was not skinny (not my size either) and appeared not be tall. Stacy encouraged her, not to tuck the top in, but use a belt and blouse the top over it (one top had an elastic band about belly-button height and the top was designed to blouse over the elastic). It looked flattering on her.

Does anybody think this would work for a bigger gal? I'm having a heck of a time finding shorter tops ... Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #242   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 11:58

Plan: paleo/ lyme diet
Stats: 226.5/187.5/125 Female 5'7"
BF:lots
Progress: 38%

My mom will take a t-shirt and run a piece of elastic through the bottom hem. She just makes a small slit in the hem, runs the elastic through, and ties it in a knot. THis will cause it to blouse over. Gypsy, that might work for you, because then, the bottom of the hem would sit where you wanted it, like on your waist, and the rest would fold over, taking several inches off the length.
Does that make sense?
  #243   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 14:15
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

I've had the curious experience of all the tops that fit me around my middle being too long in the sleeves, too big in the chest and too big in the shoulders.

What's working for me is shopping for tops in the petites dept. even though I'm 5 feet 6 inches tall.

Try the petites plus section in major department stores - that might help you find right-sized tops and t-shirts. I think this will help out a bit.
  #244   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 19:52

That makes sense Paleogal. Thanks for the suggestion.

As for petites - I'm not finding much out there in plus-sized petites and I hit the major stores (Macys, Lane Bryant, Dress Barn, Sears, JC Pennys). Citrus, can you suggest any other stores that have plus-sized petites?

Thanks!
  #245   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 19:58

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

I used to see petites even at Walmart's plus size dept.

I used to get upset because I would inadvertently buy petite pants (what an oxymoron, eh? size 28 petite), but they were always so short on me. I'm not tall, but I have long legs.
  #246   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 19:59
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

I noticed that Lands End and Chadwicks both have plus petites. You might also try plus Junior sizes since they tend to be shorter and younger looking.

Frankly, I'm thrilled about longer tops. The belly button seepage is getting old.
  #247   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 20:09

If you buy something from those two and it doesn't look good when you try it on, do you pay the return shipping? I'll go look up the answer too ... just lazy tonight.

I'm not after tops that are above the belly button - even if I were - my jeans come above the belly button (always have). I just want some tops that don't cover my butt. To the top of my hips would be ideal.
  #248   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 20:11
I've decided

I thought that Lane Bryant has some petites? I could be wrong though. Maybe that's just in some of their pants, which doesn't solve your tops and tees for summer problem.

I know I've seen plus size petites in Dillards.

Ok, I know these are hard to find...so I just checked Talbot's Woman ..and yes, they have Plus Petites. Here's a link to their Plus Petites tops/t-shirts page:

http://www1.talbots.com/talbotsonli...8&BID=&h=T&sk=T

Yeah, they're pricey - and you may not find a store in your local area, but I can vouch for the high quality of Talbot's clothing in general. It'd be worth it to order a couple of tops online, you'd get the good quality, and might find some nice tops for summer.

Also, while shopping recently in Dillards - I noticed that if you go for some of the more upscale brands - such as Jones New York, Jones New York Sport, Liz Claiborne and so on - their tops aren't all the super long style. Now granted, they will be pricey - for a t-shirt, but then I do think it might be worth it for comfortable summer wear.

Geeze I hate that. The super low pants, the overly long tops, and the overly short sleeves. These things don't do me any favours.

Try Dillards too - phone first though. Also check out some different brands/styles to see if you can't get away from the current 'overly long' tops trend.

Good luck - I know this can be a real pain. I hope you can find some nice tops.
  #249   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 20:15
I've decided

Another option is C.J. Banks - a plus size clothing store. No, I don't see petites, but I think their clothing is a wee bit more conservative, and I don't think their t-shirts would be overly long in general. You might not like everything in the store, but you might find a few things that are nice too. They're not too expensive either.

http://www.cjbanks.com/family/index...2962142.2962733

I see they even have some screened tees as well.

Here are two CJ Banks stores potentially in your area:

http://www.cjbanks.com/storeLocator/index.jsp
  #250   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 20:16
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Land's End will pay the return shipping. I've not returned anything to Chadwicks.

I have just the opposite problem than you. I buy long torso bathing suits from Lands End.

I can't find jeans that cover my belly button. Most of them have what looks like 2 inch zippers.
  #251   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 20:17

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

for Ts, buy the long (and everyone has these, even Old Navy whose are pretty large) tanks to wear underneath the T and they're about 6 to 8 inches longer than most Ts made now.. You make sure they co-ordinate with the T. It looks great.
  #252   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-08, 07:11

Thanks for all the suggestions!
  #253   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-08, 09:56

Plan: paleo/ lyme diet
Stats: 226.5/187.5/125 Female 5'7"
BF:lots
Progress: 38%

I didn't know that land's end will pay return shipping! I always return it to Sears to avoid paying return shipping! They will also pay for shipping to your house if you place your order in the Sears store. Most Sears have a limited land's end department, which is nice if you want to figure out your current size.
Right now, through 6-5-08, Land's end is offering free shipping.
Promotion Code FLIPPER and the PIN 530853085
I love their tank tops (not too long!)
http://www.landsend.com/pp/Scoopnec...17&origin=index
http://www.landsend.com/pp/PrintedS...u_0=::WBP?bcc=y
and these dresses, which ARE EVEN MORE COMFORTABLE THAN SWEATPANTS!!!! (ROTFLMAO!)
http://www.landsend.com/pp/1X3XGath...31&origin=index
  #254   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-08, 10:39
Dazed and Confused

BF:

If I recall correctly, the return label you get with your Lands End invoice has a postage permit on it.
  #255   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-08, 13:11

It looks like Lands End you can return to Sears - doesn't indicate a handling charge. But if you mail it back, then Lands End deducts $6.50 from your refund.

Chadwick's is $5.95 shipping charge deducted from your refund.

At least that is according to their websites ...