Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Fri, Sep-29-23, 08:10

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Some awesome results last month both lowering BG and weight loss over only four weeks! This was the 25 th DDF Challenge and the first using the new manual. Anyone can do this program with the free app and manual, but you can enjoy extra support by joining a challenge. Next starts Oct 7.
https://optimisingnutrition.com/dat...led/#more-43754
A new member lost 6.2% of her starting weight in 4 weeks, another dropped his waking BG by 54%. Use your glucose as a fuel gauge to lose weight and optimise your metabolic health

Also consider while doing the simple DDF program…Start to add in Nutrient Dense Foods. Unlocking the Power of Nutrient-Dense Foods: Your Guide to Optimal Nutrition
https://optimisingnutrition.com/nutrient-dense-foods-2/

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Sep-30-23 at 04:01.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-23, 04:01

Last DDF challlenge of 2023 starts today, and a Macronutrient class as well for experienced Optimisers. I thought no one would sign up for challenges during the holidays but was wrong, they are actually popular.

This year has been spent simplifying the information and lessons, especially the top 12 most popular foods in each category in a simple graphic.
https://optimisingnutrition.com/data-driven-fasting/

The guy who dropped his BG 54%, 249 to 114, has completed two more challenges. His waking BG is now 86! And he and his wife are dropping weight at a reasonable, safe rate while eating satisfying nutrient dense foods.

Data Driven fasting can lead to finding the perfect diet that works for you and your goals. If you haven’t been successful at maintaining your goal weight this year, year end may be a good time to evaluate alternatives.

Did Diet X Fail You?
https://optimisingnutrition.com/did-diet-x-fail-you/

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Nov-25-23 at 04:18.
  #108   ^
Old Wed, Dec-20-23, 04:39

In time for the first DDF challenge of 2024, which starts Jan 6, are new updates on the blog. The updates are based " on the analysis of 854,632 glucose values from 8,880 people who have used the Data-Driven Fasting app. They will give you insights that will empower you to take control of your weight, body fat and metabolic health."

This article Fasting Glucose: Your Key to Metabolic Health shows how to regain metabolic health. Best article to see in graphs the hows and whys fasting glucose correlates with weight, W:H ratio, BP, etc. This version includes Muffy's amazing success story, overcoming multiple health issues in her mid-70s.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/fas...ose/#more-46430

EDIT ADD:
Another three articles have been added, total of seven, all about Blood Glucose and how to use your own BG to lose weight, at the pace and levels right for YOU. This one explains how Data Driven Fasting, especially the PRE-MEAL BG, is used to tap into the fat stored on your body, and why the fat loss and metabolic health is easier to maintain.

The Powerful Premeal Blood Glucose: The Unsung Hero of Optimising Your Weight and Metabolic Health

https://optimisingnutrition.com/premeal-glucose/

A new year challenge starts January 6, 2024.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Dec-21-23 at 03:32.
  #109   ^
Old Fri, Dec-29-23, 04:47

Still more posts on how to use Hunger Training to conquer sugar cravings, the latest with updates from long-time DDF users and coming up, new success stories. Next DDF Challenge will start January 6th. The free book that goes with it is about 230 pages, so it is useful to prep this coming week.

Lori's health story: Lori’s Data-Driven Journey to Nutritional Empowerment and Wellness https://optimisingnutrition.com/lori-leeke/

Quote:
DDF Works Very Well for Older Women! To my surprise, Data-Driven Fasting has become very popular with older women who have tried many other approaches, like extended fasting and high-fat keto, to lose weight without long-term success. Around 80% of people using our DDF app are female and often in the post-menopausal demographic.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Dec-29-23 at 05:21.
  #110   ^
Old Sat, Dec-30-23, 04:37

This new blog post shows how DDF works long term for weight loss is awesome. The process is slow and steady, Progress over Perfection, and more importantly, Permanent.

Quote:
Over three hundred Optimisers have lost more than 10% of their body weight in our Data-Driven Fasting Challenges!

At the end of each challenge, we love to celebrate those who have seen the biggest changes in 30 days. But this article unveils the ‘secrets’ of Optimisers who have seen the biggest weight loss.

By the end of this article, you’ll see how changes in premeal glucose lead to reduced body fat, weight and fasting glucose.

Each person’s journey takes a different trajectory. But as you’ll see, your glucose only needs to lower a little to allow your body to burn off all your excess body fat.

Success Stories and Secrets of the DDF Biggest Losers
https://optimisingnutrition.com/biggest-losers/

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Dec-30-23 at 08:49.
  #111   ^
Old Sun, Dec-31-23, 04:42

The results of the most recent DDF Challenge, 4 weeks that took place from Saturday after Thankgiving to just before Christmas.

Data-Driven Fasting Challenge Triumphs: November 2023 Edition

Quote:
Special congratulations to Laura, who achieved a 19 lb (8.6 kg) weight loss in the four weeks of the challenge, which brings her to a total of 47 lb (21 kg) lost since she started her first Data-Driven Fasting Challenge in April 2023!

Note clips in the article, Laura was STUCK at 227 pounds for 7 YEARS before she tried DDF. Now with DDF, she lost 47 pounds in 8 months, 19 pounds during the holiday season.
https://optimisingnutrition.com/ddf-27-results/

Others smashed their Waking Blood Glucose down to no longer diabetic ranges. Judd in the past 2-3 sessions is a superstar in this area.

DDF works with any style of diet, but nobody starves, slow and steady weight loss can be achieved eating two healthy meals optimised for nutrition. I maintain eating two meals of meat, loads of vegetables and a snack of NFyogurt, milk or cottage cheese plus protein powder.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Dec-31-23 at 05:00.
  #112   ^
Old Thu, Jan-04-24, 04:58

First DDF Challenge of 2024 starts this Saturday January 6th.

A new amazing success story using DDF and the Macro/Micronutrient classes to turn around health in 4 months. After five years on a low carb diet, Maile lost 40 pounds in 4 months, reduced inflammation and thrives with increased diet quality.

Maile’s Triumph: From Lupus Struggles to Thriving at 50

https://optimisingnutrition.com/mailes-triumph/ *

*ps: I linked Maile's story from Marty Kendall's public blog, but the Q&A about Maile's success is in the Optimising Nutrition Community. Free to join, you can read new posts, find food lists, check nutrients helpful for various health conditions, etc. Like this forum, it has no distractions from Facebook, a calm, supportive community. https://members.optimisingnutrition...m_source=manual

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jan-04-24 at 05:41.
  #113   ^
Old Thu, Jan-04-24, 12:26

Plan: IF+HP+Cycling+Stillman
Stats: 148/147/130 Female 5’6”
BF:29%/27%/20%-25%
Progress: 6%

Hi JEY. Do you mind if I ask whether there is a lower bound in DDF on one’s trigger point? eg, might it go below 80 over time? below 70? is there a notion that it can’t go too low (much like the Apple Watch seems to have a notion that no matter how much exercise you do, you can always do more)? or is there a notion that 60, 70, even 80’ish is low enough.

Thanks!
  #114   ^
Old Thu, Jan-04-24, 13:19

Hi,
There is quite a long answer to your question in the manual DDF101, which is often updated, last in September. This may be new, it's 230 pages now! You can get the new manual for free. It starts:

Quote:
3.13 Does the DDF App Have a Lower Limit for Blood
Glucose?

Some people see their blood glucose fall when they begin Data-Driven Fasting and wonder how low is too low and if the DDF app has a lower glucose limit.
The answer is no. The DDF App doesn’t have a lower limit for blood glucose, but your body does. But, because DDF encourages you to eat before your glucose gets too far below your
current trigger, very low glucose levels should be rare.

The charts below show the range of premeal blood glucose values in people undertaking the Data-Driven Fasting Challenge. Some people see their blood sugar levels get down to 60
mg/dL or 3.5 mmol/L. However, most people will have reached their weight loss or body fat goals before they reach this point.
For more details, see What are Normal, Healthy, Non-
Diabetic Blood Sugar Levels?

https://optimisingnutrition.com/non...od-sugar-levels
Then there are charts of distribution of pre-meal triggers, but I can’t copy, why it is best you check the manual or read that article on the blog.

It continues…
Quote:
While these values are much lower than what passes for ‘normal’ in a world awash with diabetes, there is no issue if you are not taking medications to actively lower your blood glucose (e.g., injected insulin, metformin, etc.) and feel OK. Once you reach a waist-to-height ratio of less than 0.5 and a waking glucose of less than 100 mg/dL or 5.6 mmol/L, we suggest you transition to maintenance.

After each round of the Data-Driven Fasting Challenge, we encourage people to take a break to practice maintenance until they are ready to push again. You shouldn’t keep pushing if you can’t successfully maintain your reduced weight for a few weeks between challenges. Because Data-Driven Fasting guides people to delay or skip their meals rather than fasting for days at a time, we don’t tend to see people having the same issues that are more common with prolonged fasting or aggressive dieting.

Hope this helps

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jan-04-24 at 16:42.
  #115   ^
Old Thu, Jan-04-24, 16:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Hi,
There is quite a long answer to your question in the manual DDF101, which is often updated, last in September. This may be new, it's 230 pages now! You can get the new manual for free. It starts:

https://optimisingnutrition.com/non...od-sugar-levels
Then there are charts of distribution of pre-meal triggers, but I can’t copy, why it is best you check the manual or read that article on the blog.

It continues…

Hope this helps

Thanks!

I recall reading some of that before, but not the part about shifting to maintenance once your waist is no more than 1/2 your height and your waking glucose is normal (<100). Hmmm. I was thinking of trying DDF again now that I am not doing a stressful amount of exercise. I guess I have some more reading to do.

Thanks again for responding!
  #116   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-24, 05:31

There is always "more reading" to do on Marty's blog!
Today is the day to Restart DDF Baseline, it is worth it to take it step by step in January, all fresh and clean data.
  #117   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-24, 14:09

Thanks! I did restart my DDF Baseline, though I am not in the actual challenge. I do get daily emails. I think I have access to all the documents.

Related to my comments on low protein recommendations from Hava, I noticed yesterday that after my low-fat, super high protein “breakfast” yesterday, my BG went up to 100 (from the high 80’s) and never came back down, even 5 hours later. In contrast, after my “breakfast” today, which included more fat (guacamole) and less protein than yesterday (but plenty of protein by normal standards), my 1 hour Post-Prandial BG was a point lower than my Pre-Prandial BG (both in the low 90’s). Hmmm, is it possible the naysayers are correct and too much protein is keeping me fat?

The experiment continues.
  #118   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-24, 14:29

one point or 12 points are within the range of meter error, I wouldn’t try to give that difference much predictive power. Melissa is "very small" always trying to lose more…maybe her story will have tips for you how she lost more weight?
https://optimisingnutrition.com/fro...optimal-health/
  #119   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-24, 15:04

Thank you for that link. I aspire to reach her “before DDF/ON” body composition!

I just read something that seems new to me - that maybe it is ok to eat on DDF when you are above your trigger but are feeling vulnerably hungry as long as you focus on eating protein and fiber while minimizing fuel (fat, starch, sugar). That makes me feel less stressed about the DDF concept (since exercise and, apparently, protein seemed to keep my BG above my trigger when I tried before). If I can eat steamed fish or skinless chicken breast and lettuce when hungry, I can cope with that long term. I do wonder whether under-consuming Calcium is part of my issue…I am working on that too.

Thank you again for all the generous support you provide here.
  #120   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-24, 05:42

NHSB I wrote a nice long answer to eating when still above your trigger…and somehow placed it in my own journal! Or should I have placed it in yours? Whatever, Here you go:
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showpos...0&postcount=254

Calcium and the other nutrients in vegetables and fruits were definitely too low for me when eating 20g TC. I now have strong nails, thicker hair, do not bruise as easily, and feel all those "low thyroid" symptoms are gone..but am also eating more protein? Whatever the reason, I am more satiated, full on lower calories and lose weight.

A DDF challenge is mostly about "Hunger Training" but also involves Habit Change, the Progress not Perfection attitude, winning the Mind Game, etc. All of Chapter 6 is on Mindset and the psychological impact of data driven fasting.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jan-07-24 at 06:47.