Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Mon, May-09-16, 06:39

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Dr Fung has outdone himself here. Snarky, very funny and on point.

Jean
ha-ha. I'm sure many of us have entire libraries filled with books exactly like these.
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Mon, May-09-16, 06:53

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
ha-ha. I'm sure many of us have entire libraries filled with books exactly like these.

Johnathan Swift's take on low carb perhaps? That one occupies a prominent spot on the shelf.
  #213   ^
Old Mon, May-09-16, 08:20

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Dr Fung has outdone himself here. Snarky, very funny and on point.

Jean

Excellent post by Dr. Fung and why having Taubes and Fung on the bookshelf covers that vast majority of what one needs to know to approach healthy eating and periods of not eating.

Fung is trying to treat people to make meaningful changes, not a hint of snake oil in anything he does.
  #214   ^
Old Tue, May-10-16, 08:21

BF:

New video by Dr. Fung on the DietDoctor website. Unfortunately, I believe this is restricted to members, but it's worth watching, as Fung basically summarizes his book in just under 40 minutes:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/member/pr...tions/fung-vail

He references Marty Kendall's work in insulin loads for food types as well. Very informative.
  #215   ^
Old Wed, May-11-16, 03:34

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Another good Dr Fung video!

Yesterday Jimmy announced the new Fasting book with a new name. Not promoting it, just letting you know of name change and new cover.

"After deciding to change the name of my upcoming October 2016 book with Dr. Jason Fung from Fasting Clarity to The Complete Guide To Fasting, we now have the new cover and listing on Amazon.com: TinyURL.com/FungFastingBook
PRE-ORDER NOW! If you previously ordered Fasting Clarity, that book has been removed and this is the new one. Please order this final version"
  #216   ^
Old Wed, May-11-16, 11:43

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

Couple of questions:

Is it worthwhile to become a member of Dr. Fung's website? Do you get your personal questions answered?

Will the new book cover fasting for both diabetes and obesity? We are a household of a skinny T2 diabetic and a non-diabetic obese person.
  #217   ^
Old Wed, May-11-16, 12:54

His website is free, join his email list to get the blog posts delivered to your inbox.
He has a Distance Program with his assistant, and you have to have a local doctor to manage your bloodwork, etc. (See Join tab)
But by joining DietDocotr for $9/month you do have access to him for questions (but not personal medical advice). He has already answered hundreds of questions there, all archived.

The tinyurl is to the Amazon description of the book..that's all I know.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1628600012
  #218   ^
Old Wed, May-11-16, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
His website is free, join his email list to get the blog posts delivered to your inbox.
He has a Distance Program with his assistant, and you have to have a local doctor to manage your bloodwork, etc. (See Join tab)
But by joining DietDocotr for $9/month you do have access to him for questions (but not personal medical advice). He has already answered hundreds of questions there, all archived.

The tinyurl is to the Amazon description of the book..that's all I know.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1628600012

OK, thanks for the info -- I'm already trying to watch all the videos posted on youtube. I'll check out the description of the book on Amazon. Kat
  #219   ^
Old Thu, May-12-16, 06:16

I like Robb Wolf as an Interviewer, so happily listened to a new poscast with Dr. Fung while walking. Many of his comments about obesity and fasting you will have heard before in his talks.

At the end he mentions the new book...amazed that a whole book can be written about "Don't Eat" Then he has another book planned for 2018 about Diabetes ...although he has some of the info in Obesity Code, this will be the expanded version on diabetes that Kat wants.

He also thinks Dr. Eenfeldt's site is amazing...and directs people to his FAQs there. As he say, fast and skip 2 Big Macs...you've covered the cost

If you read the transcript instead, his verbal tick of saying RIGHT? at the end of most sentences might drive you crazy...funny to see it in print
  #220   ^
Old Thu, May-12-16, 13:40

BF:

Latest blog post: How to Fix your Broken Metabolism by doing the Exact Opposite

https://intensivedietarymanagement....ken-metabolism/

Sounds good to me . . . .
  #221   ^
Old Thu, May-12-16, 16:49

Sometimes analogies are painfully stretched. But, for me, the accessing the deep freeze analogy is perfect -- it really keeps me on my fasting regimen as I actually imagine my body getting into it's deep freeze storage.
  #222   ^
Old Thu, May-12-16, 20:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 265/165/145 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Has Dr. Fung ever directly address fasting along with low carb? I mean, I know he says it's a good match. But does fasting work any differently with low carb than it does with other food plans? My question relates to calorie intake. He says it's not good to eat low calorie, because your set point lowers. But if someone is low carb, and already in ketosis, does that same restriction apply? I ask because when I try intermittant fasting, I have a hard time eating a decent amount of calories.

I fasted Mon/Tues, and then had a BIG meal Tuesday evening over a couple hours. I mean, I was stuffed!! But I totaled it up, and it was only about 1200 calories. Then I went right back to fasting. The earliest I will break my fast is Friday morning...and I may go further through the day. I've honestly only had twinges of hunger a couple times. But this weekend I have to move one daughter out of her dorm room Sat, and the other on Sun. So, it will be a lot of physical activity, and I think it would be tough to do if I was fasting. So, I'll eat Friday night and probably over the weekend. I was only down a pound as of this morning, but I'm hoping that if I keep this up, I'll lose a pound a week (which is WAY more than I've been losing for months!). I have to keep telling myself "It's really not that hard. It just SOUNDS over the top!"

btw, is it common to be freezing when you fast?
  #223   ^
Old Fri, May-13-16, 03:58

About being cold...quote from Dr Fung on page 167, post 2496, previous thread.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&page=167&pp=15

Other comments about not eating enough around that point.
  #224   ^
Old Fri, May-13-16, 04:31

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

LauriSinge--maybe you just need a bigger eating window between fasts? Or maybe a slightly more indulgent form of low carb would increase your appetite a little bit. I'm talking a little cream cheese and pork rinds and bacon, things like that, not going off-plan.
  #225   ^
Old Fri, May-13-16, 07:16

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauriSinge
btw, is it common to be freezing when you fast?

Not for me anyway. Larui, what is your fasting eating schedule look like or are going day by day and letting your body and or hunger dictate eating times?

I have tried a bunch of different length fasts but i don't usually string them together. It's just different way to approach it.

Here's to sending some warmth your way...