Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-13-06, 13:02

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 246/233/175 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Sesamin boosts the effects of CLA!

This may be of interest to those that use CLA. I was reading through the supplement section of one of my diet books (The Perricone Diet, not LC) and the author mentioned rather offhandedly that sesame oil works synergistically with CLA to produce even better results. I decided to google it and came across some articles. Apparently, sesamin is a component of sesame oil.

Sesamin + CLA Supplementation

The combination of Sesamin + CLA should prove very potent for fat loss or fat gain prevention. Supplementing with CLA will cause a decrease in triglyceride uptake by adipocytes and lipogenesis/fat storage, but if these fatty acids are not oxidized, they will build up in the blood and liver leading to insulin resistance. By adding Sesamin into the mix, fat oxidation will be increased (very strongly in the liver), resulting in the oxidation of the elevated fatty acid concentration caused by CLA as well as working synergistically with CLA to decrease fat storage. The combination of Sesamin + CLA attacks fat oxidation and storage from multiple angles, resulting in less stored body fat.
*Common dosages for Sesamin range from 500-1500 mg per day.

Another article I found:

SESAME LIGNANS ENHANCE CLA’S ACTION Lignans, the fibrous compounds found in many plant-based foods, possess numerous health-promoting effects. Sesame seed lignans in particular are beneficial. Studies show that sesame lignans, including sesamin and sesaminol, enhance vitamin E’s absorption and availability, improve lipid profiles, and help normalize blood pressure.40-42 (See also “Do Your Antioxidants Suppress Enough Free Radicals?” in the February 2005 issue of Life Extension.)
Animal studies show that sesame lignans enhance the burning of fat. One study demonstrated that sesame increases the activity of several liver enzymes that break down fatty acids.43 Optimizing the liver’s fat-burning capacity may promote fat loss and may account for sesame’s lipid-lowering effect.
Sesame lignans also boost the weight-loss effects of CLA. Japanese scientists studied whether dietary manipulations could enhance CLA’s effects in reducing body fat. They found that sesamin helped stimulate the loss of adipose tissue. Researchers think that sesame lignans increase CLA’s effects by stimulating a pathway of fatty acid breakdown called beta-oxidation.44
The combination of CLA with sesamin is also effective in lowering serum triglycerides, according to another research team. Triglycerides may increase the risk of heart disease and stroke. Enhanced fatty-acid oxidation in the liver may be responsible for the triglyceride-lowering effect of CLA and sesamin.

And this is from Netrition:

Sesamin and Insulin Sensitivity
Due to sesamin’s strong beta-oxidizing properties the substance can also affect leptin levels and is documented to restore insulin sensitivity in obese rodents. Insulin sensitivity is often impaired in those whose body fat levels exceed 15% and above. In more simple terms, by providing the necessary substrate; sesamin is believed to act as a thermostat of sorts that can regulate leptin as well as insulin levels from within the body keeping both in optimal balance.

Sesamin and Ketosis
Sesamin is a welcomed addition for those who are on ketogenic diets as it is known to increase ketone production thereby sparing lean muscle tissue that is otherwise lost through amino acid conversion, usually sacrificed to fuel the body on low carb diets. Ketogenesis (or the formation of ketones) becomes a major fuel factor on low carb (Atkins) diets as the brain cannot be driven by fatty acids and thereby relies on glucose first..and ketones second. So essentially, without Sesamin in your diet, the body will tap into muscle tissue for its ketone needs since carbohydrates are obviously kept at bay (at least in those who are on ketogenic or low carbohydrate diets).

Apparently the highest concentrations of sesamin is found in the husk of the sesame seed, which is removed during processing. So I am not sure if eating sesame seeds will provide enough sesamin.

This combo appears to be well known to body builders. In fact, I found several body building sites selling this combo as "The Never Get Fat Stack." I perused several message boards, and many posters stated that they had minimal fat gain during their bulk up phase.

I haven't tried this yet, but I am ordering it soon. I have seen great results with CLA and am excited to see wether sesamin can improve them.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-13-06, 13:18

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 220/214/145 Female 67
BF:yes, I admit it
Progress: 8%

This is really interesting. I too googled and found info on the subject, but didn't find much about it when I visited sites like Vitacost.com and GNC. There is certainly not enough information here to convince me to supplement with sesamin myself, but I would be interested in hearing from people who have tried it!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-13-06, 16:14

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

I just started taking Life Extension Super CLA Blend with Guarana and Sesame Lignans a few days ago. Just because I found it really cheap at a local salvage store. I then googled it, and it sounded good.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-13-06, 16:35

Guarana is essentially caffeine, and that isn't something I am interested in. I do take CLA however, and am really happy with the effects.

How will we know if you do like the results from your new supplement which ingredient (or combination) is responsible?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-13-06, 16:53

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

I've been taking CLA since September and have been pleased with the results too. I can't answer your question really. I can say if I notice more of a difference with the new blend, but that's about it.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-13-06, 16:59

I would be interested!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-13-06, 18:57
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

Life Extension Foundation (LEF) is big on sesame.

LEF.org

http://search.lef.org/search/defaul...=1&QUERY=sesame
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-14-06, 23:19

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 246/233/175 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

I just ordered my sesamin. Once I start taking it, I will post my results. I don't mind being the guinea pig .
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-15-06, 08:16

I've continued to try to research sesamin, and all the reports I've found are good. Sesame oil seems to be an omega 6, but I am unclear as to whether or not the sesamin lignans are also omega 6. And if they are, should you up your doses of omega 3s to maintain the proper ratio of omega 3s to omega 6s?