Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Plan comparison
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-09, 15:58

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 220/179.6/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Coconut Diet

I'm looking for a forum to discuss the coconut diet. I was advised that this might be the place to post it. I am currently reading "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" by Mary Enig and Sally Fallon. I've read some posts about it on other sites but they don't mention the book. I would like to get your opinions and experiences with the diet and on coconut oil in general. The book has been helpful. For my weight, I am supposed to take 4-1/2 tbs. a day. I've been doing this amount for about four days and I have noticed an increase in energy and a decrease in hunger. The authors write that coconut oil and cod liver oil can cure many ills. Although I have never been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, I have many of the symptoms (low BP, low body temp, tired, etc.) Has anyone read this book? What are your feelings about coconut oil and cod liver oil? Has anyone with thyroid problems or other illnesses seen improvement after taking the oil?

I took my measurements about 2-3 weeks ago when I started back on LCing and experimenting with coconut oil. As of now, I have lost 1-1/2" off my waist and 1" off my hips!!! I've only lost 2-1/2 lbs. Along with the coconut oil, I am following a my own modified Atkins Induction program and doing 20 mins. of bicycling 5-6 times a week. Something must be working!!

Hope to hear your opinions, progress, etc.

Abby
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-09, 22:20

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I use coconut oil, milk and coconut meat. The one thing that I would want on a deserted island would be a coconut tree. I reccommend the book "The Coconut OIL Miracle" by Bruce Fife. I think that it is amazing that I have lost weight with coconut oil etc in my diet. I also use MCT oil which is derived from coconut oil.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-09, 09:18

BF:

Thanks for the post. I will look for the book. I'm sorry but I do not know what MCT stands for. The last two days I have gained back about 1.5 lbs. Is it possible to use too much coconut oil? I'm taking 4-1/2 tbs. a day and keeping the protein and carbs low. I am eating around 1200 cal. The book wants you to eat 1800-2500. I don't know if I can do that.

I feel the same way about coconut - it's delicious. Glad to hear it works for you. Your stats are fantastic.

Abby
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-09, 09:26

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?

Medium Chain Triglycerides.

What is the "coconut diet" exactly? Is that what "Eat fat, Lose fat" proposes? I've read Nourishing Traditions by the same authors, but that's a much more varied diet, I think.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 09:01

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
What is the "coconut diet" exactly? Is that what "Eat fat, Lose fat" proposes? I've read Nourishing Traditions by the same authors, but that's a much more varied diet, I think.

I have a copy of "Eat Fat, Lose Fat", though not right here in front of me, so can't swear to what I'm saying. However it's basically a lowish-carb diet, but especially touts the benefits of coconut oil, and does recommend coconut oil be included as part of the daily diet. There is a fairly extensive recipe section too, with lots of recipes showing how to incorporate coconut into the diet. I'd call it more a high-fat diet I think - which sounds good to me.

You can see some exerpts from it here at google books:
http://books.google.com/books?id=_MVwKoDvcj4C&pg=PA208&lpg=PA208&dq=coconut+muffins+"eat+fat,+lose+fat"&source=bl&ots=HpycBr3RL0&sig=Jjsu-NDoiw8cSTScOOEbpOSKG9Q&hl=en&ei=jXQRStOuFM3gtgeu97WICA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

showing recipes for things like coconut pancakes and coconut muffins. These recipes *do* use flour, so very likely higher carb than many of us want to go! I don't think it's a VLC plan. It also allows oats and legumes. The book states: "While most other diet plans tell you to leave certain foods out of your diet--such as fat, dairy, grains, meat, salt or desserts--the 'Eat Fat, Lose Fat' plan tells you how to include all these foods in your diet."

Their principal message seems to be not to fear fat. You can see quite a lot of the book at the google books preview. Page three there talks about America's anti-fat obsession, and goes on to say many people in the US are fat-deficient. They do refer to their experiences with the Weston Price Foundation.

They build on Nourishing Traditions, with notes about how grains must be soaked to help neutralize the phytic acid. In some ways it's a sort of Nourishing Traditions "lite" with emphasis on weight loss rather than general overall well-being, and emphasis on coconut oil comsumption.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 12:17

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 163/121/135 Female 5ft. 7 inches
BF:Just perfect:)
Progress: 150%

Does the diet consist of eating coconut oil or coconuts, coconut milk or all of the above?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-19-09, 05:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaunt
Does the diet consist of eating coconut oil or coconuts, coconut milk or all of the above?

All of the above, though not *only* those things of course, but the emphasis is on getting coconut oil every day (and with every meal I think) - and other coconut in many of the recipes.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-19-09, 07:50

BF:

I followed this diet for about a month and as mentioned above I did lose some pounds and inches. Along with the 1 tbsp. coconut oil at each meal they prescribe, I ate what the book advised such as the skin of chicken, bacon, cream cheese, etc. It was delicious but then I had my cholesterol tested and it was up 20 pts. from two years ago. I'm not sure if I can attribute this to just one month on this diet. It may be heretitary or just the fact that I am getting older but I am now back to my low fat/low carb eating. However, I wanted to continue the coconut oil because it gave me so much energy but I didn't want to ingest it although I still use a little for cooking. I read about oil pulling on the net and decided to try it. I did it for about two weeks and had great results. My gums got healthier and teeth whiter every day, my sinuses drained and the mild pain that I've had for years in my right ear causing dizziness cleared up. I have stopped the last three days to give my body a break from the detoxing but I plan to start again after awhile.

Now I am trying 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper with warm water in the morning. It is supposed to clean the blood and lower bad cholesterol. I also add 1/4 tsp. apple cider vinegar to my daily three 32-oz. water to help with digestion.

Obviously, I am experimenting to see what works for me. I like the idea of homeopathic medicine and eating right for health.

Anyone tried any of these? I'd love to hear your feedback. I will post my progress for anyone interested.

Abby
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-19-09, 09:31

Coconut oil is higher in saturated fat than anything - even tallow. Saturated fat does raise your cholesterol. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It raises HDL and LDL together. Some evidence suggests that saturated fat does not raise VLDL. It does not raise triglycerides. High triglycerides are a stronger indicator of heart disease than low HDL, high LDL, or high total cholesterol.

Studies of the "cholesterol-lowering diet," which reduces saturated fat intake but not total fat intake, have not shown a reduction in death from heart disease. But they have shown an increase in death from cancer and trauma.

But I'm assuming most of this information is in the book.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-20-09, 08:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
Coconut oil is higher in saturated fat than anything - even tallow. Saturated fat does raise your cholesterol. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It raises HDL and LDL together. Some evidence suggests that saturated fat does not raise VLDL. It does not raise triglycerides. High triglycerides are a stronger indicator of heart disease than low HDL, high LDL, or high total cholesterol.

Absolutely, plus I have read that on a LC diet there is also often a slight *rise* in total cholesterol at the very beginning, which then lowers after that, which I think is why it's often recommended that you not have your blood numbers tested until you have been on LC for at least 3 months.

But 20 points one way or the other is pretty insignificant, *especially* without our knowing what the HDL, LDL and triglycerides were for each of those tests also.

Coconut oil is beneficial for the heart. It contains about 50% lauric acid, which helps in preventing various heart problems including high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure. The saturated fats present in coconut oil are not harmful as it happens in case of other vegetables oils. It does not lead to increase in LDL levels. It also reduces the incidence of injury in arteries and therefore helps in preventing atherosclerosis.

I love my coconut oil.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-20-09, 08:44

BF:

Thank you for that explanation. I wasn't aware that CO would raise both HDL and LDL. I am not overly concerned about my cholesterol since the ratios are still in the normal range, although my triglycerides did go up from 71 to 88 (Total 263; HDL 68; LDL 177). Of course, my doctor wants me to take meds for this but from what I have read I'm afraid they may do more harm than good. I do remember reading in the book that EVCO oil is supposed to be good for cholesterol and a whole lot of other things and that is why I want to continue it. Maybe I just need to cut out the cream, bacon, cream cheese, etc. Thanks again for the info.

Abby

Last edited by Abby3 : Wed, May-20-09 at 08:52.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-20-09, 12:07

If you have a problem with dairy, smoked foods or foods cured with salt and sugar, then maybe cutting out bacon and cream/cream cheese makes sense. Otherwise it would probably do more harm than good to eliminate them - they are full of high-quality proteins and fats.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-21-09, 07:11

BF:

I guess I'm finding it difficult with so much conflicting information out there about what is healthy and what is not, what diet works and how to eat right. Five years ago I started out doing Atkins and over a year lost 50 lbs. I have kept it off by eating a low carb/modified Atkins diet (I did add low carb yogurt). Now I seem to be stuck in the 170s. As I said, I tried the eat fat, lose fat diet and I loved it and I did lose 3-4 lbs. Maybe I should just forget about the cholesterol issue. It's so hard to know if you're doing the right thing. I am 56 with a history of lupus, in remission, but I have neutropenia (low white blood cell count). I am constantly reading and getting as much as informaton as I can about lupus and getting healthy. I sure wish there was a one size fits all answer!!

Abby
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-21-09, 08:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby3
Now I seem to be stuck in the 170s.

I understand the frustration of being *stuck*, though I tend to *stick* at a weight still some hundred pounds higher than your current weight - which frustrates me no end as I still can't get my head away from the idea that someone who weighs as much as I do should start to lose easily with a better eating plan.

I'm 57, and T2 diabetic, so I can also empathize with the difficulties of being an "older" female with some health issues to deal with.

Right now I'm trying out the Kwasniewski "Optimal Diet" plan, which is based on low carb, adequate but not excessive protein, and proportionally plenty of fat. The premise that some of us are working on who have experienced stalls, is that it is too much *protein* which can cause it. Kwasniewski's biggest critique of the Atkins diet is that he feels it allows too much protein.

I don't know yet if it will be a "magic bullet" for me, but so far I've lost 7.5 pounds on the plan. There are lots of threads on it, mostly under 'General Low Carb" - but at least one long and interesting one in the Paleo subgroup also, if you are interesting in looking there at all. The one with the most experience with his plan is Pangolina.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-21-09, 13:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby3
Maybe I should just forget about the cholesterol issue.

Yes! You have bigger fish to fry. There's very little conclusive data about cholesterol anyway.

I find that things get a lot less confusing if you consider the source. Most sources of information that say that meat is bad, fat is bad, or carbohydrates are good are based on the lipid hypothesis of Ancel Keys. This hypothesis is fundamentally incompatible with the idea that eating low-carb is healthy, so if you accept it you are bound to be confused. A combination of personal experience and plenty of low-carb reading has helped me decide what to think of the lipid hypothesis (and the competing "carbohydrate hypothesis"). If you haven't made up your mind yet, it might help to tackle this big question first before you examine the details.

"Good Calories, Bad Calories" is mostly about how these two hypotheses came about and what evidence exists to support them. While I agree with Fallon and Enig on most things, their writing style and facility with the facts tends towards the fanatical. Taubes is much more level-headed and scientific about the subject.