Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 09:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Green Tea and Peanut Butter

Just wondering where I can buy Green Tea and natural peanut butter? Do I have to go to a Health Food Store? Everything seems more expensive there.

Akiwican
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 10:06

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

green tea seems to be everywhere these days! natural PB is available at my local "regular" grocery store both on the shelf (Adams is an okay brand and available all over the US, at least) and in their health food section in a grinder. I prefer the latter--I can get just a dab, sprinkle in some Splenda (sorry purists, but I can't stand it without a bit of sweetness!), mix, and leave in the fridge--and I don't have to struggle with re=mixing it in a too-small jar, as I would have to with Adams.

Out here on the left coast, pretty much every major grocery store has a health food section now--and it is much cheaper than the specialize HFS, certainly. I hope a Ontario person can tell you about your own locale.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 10:18
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Lesley, here in Ontari-ari-ari-oh, you can find natural "just peanuts and nothing else" peanut butter at Loblaws Superstore or Zehr's, or NoFrills or any place that sells President's Choice Too Good To Be True products. 500g and 1kg jars. Cheaper and fresher tasting too. I don't like buying nut butters from the bins at health food and bulk foods places ... the oils go rancid quickly when open to the air. I prefer a sealed jar, thanks. Of course, if you want specifically organic nut butter, then you'll need to go to a health food store. The health food section at Superstore has a good variety of natural nut butters too, made by Nuts to You Nut Butters Inc., here in Ont. Hazelnut is my fave, they also have macadamia butter, and toasted almond in smooth or crunchy

Green tea is available in most groceries too .. with the regular teas. All different flavoured types, and also plain looseleaf green teas. Some stores may have a separate Chinese/ Asian foods section, and you can find various green teas there too.

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 10:25

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Bulk Barn carries both natural peanut butter and green tea in bulk. It's pretty cheap, comparitively speaking.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 11:00

BF:
Default Thankyou all

We dont have a Loblaws or Bulk Barn in Niagara Falls but I will try Zehrs. I looked at No Frills and couldnt see it... They dont seem to have a great selection there. I didn't find the PC Memories sauces there either Doreen, so will check them out at Zehrs as well. {from a previous thread}

Lesley
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 11:51
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Do you have London Drugs nearby? The have an excellent Green tea package "Legends of China", about 100 tea bags for around $5. I find it in the supplements section near the pharmacy, not in the the coffee/tea isle.

Wa'il
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 11:56
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Re: Thankyou all

Quote:
Originally posted by Akiwican
We dont have a Loblaws or Bulk Barn in Niagara Falls but I will try Zehrs. I looked at No Frills and couldnt see it... They dont seem to have a great selection there. I didn't find the PC Memories sauces there either Doreen, so will check them out at Zehrs as well. {from a previous thread}

Lesley
Lesley, I've had good success at my local NoFrills by asking the grocery manager if they might start stocking a particular product. Especially Pres. Choice, or Too Good to be True .... since those are "house brands". If the product sells well, they'll continue to carry it. If it flops, they won't. I'm a regular shopper there, which I think was a big help too. They might not have done it if they never saw me before. I got them to start carrying Pres. Choice Swiss Water process decaf coffee ... they can't restock the shelf fast enough! Never hurts to ask.

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 20:48

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Could you drive (or get a ride) over to St. Catharines to the malls where there are some good grocery stores? I know the one right by the QEW on the right as you go to St. C. I thought there was a health food store in the Pen Centre too. Check in phone book.

BarB
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 21:40

Plan: Fat Flush Plan (Zone)
Stats: 249/133/115
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi Akiwican,

the least expensive green teas are from asian markets/stores. the best peanut (or any nut) butter is the homemade one, it is the safest, the cheapest, and the freshest. here's the recipe if you want to try one

use fresh unsalted roasted peanuts, shell them yourself, discarding all shriveled or darkened nuts. Grind, adding salt and vitamin C (1/4tsp per pint) as you go. for spreadability grind an equal amount of cold butter along with the peanuts. this improves spreadability and digestibility of the hard nut particles, especially for children. it's heavenly.

I use my thunderstick for making nut butters, a pint done in 3-4 min, food processor is a bit messier.

Mila
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 07:49

BF:
Default Thanks again

Wa'il - There is no London Drugs around here that I know of. That sounds like a good deal

Doreen - I'm not really a regular at No Frills now as we have a Food Basics over our side of town now. I guess you could say I am a traitor.... switched sides! You should get commission on any products you suggest that sell well!

BarB - Next time I am in St Catharines I will check it out. It is always so busy there, long lines and I am not familiar with the stores. I hate grocery shopping. I feel like thats all I do nowdays. and then eat it all Thats why I asked the question... so I could just go right in and grab the stuff I needed.

Mila - Sounds nice, but way too much work for me. I'm not too good at cooking so I take advantage of everything I can that is already made for me.

Thanks everyone, Lesley