Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 23:32

Plan: Trim-Wise: LifeForce International
Stats: 213/209/150
BF:32%/??/ 21%
Progress: 6%
Thumbs down Carbolite Cheesecake Mix

A Tale of Two Cheesecakes (with sincere apologies to Chuck Dickens)

You may or may not recall some time ago I mentioned that I had bought a box of the Carbolite cheesecake mix. You may or may not also recall that so far, with the exception of their chocolate bar (and *that* has its flaws--have you ever known anyone who isn't an extraterrestrial to be able to eat only 2 squares of chocolate???), I have been terribly disappointed with every product of theirs I have tried.

The streak remains intact.

Why anyone would shell out $11 for this mix (save in the name of research, of course... ) when they could make a FAR superior cheesecake from scratch is beyond me.

I mixed the crust and tried to spread it into the pie plate (which I had sprayed with cooking spray, rather than buttering it). It *sort of* spread. Mostly it clung to itself and followed the spatula around the pie pan. I finally beat it into submission and went on to the filling.

My nearly-five-year-old daughter helped me cube the 16oz of cream cheese needed to add to the powdered filling mix, and she poured the 3/4 cup heavy cream into the Kitchen Aid bowl, and she turned the beast on. Delighted laughter filled the kitchen as she watched the stuff go around and around in the bowl. She even pronounced it "pretty good, it's like cheesecake" when she licked the beater.

It *looks* like cheesecake (except for that crust; I don't know what it looks like but I have *never* seen a piecrust of any sort that looks quite like this does). It even mostly smells like cheesecake. But the flavor leaves something to be desired. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's just not--right. Aaah, yes... unnatural. That's the word.

I'll stick with my scratch recipe from Fran McCullough's cookbook, using 2lbs cream cheese, 4 eggs, Splenda, a little heavy cream, and vanilla extract. No crust, but who needs it? The filling's the best part anyway!

And that sure doesn't cost me $5.50 to make!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 16:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/265/200
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default I agree 100%

I tried this cheesecake mix in the vanilla and it was awful. My DH and I both only took one bite and through the rest of the cake away. EECCKKKK. I love real cheesecake not this fake junk. I too will stick to a recipe using cream cheese and splenda. And who needs a crust when the one on the cake is so awful you wouldnt eat it anyway.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-02, 01:36
Registered Member

Stats: 232/208/130 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Wink oh good - so it's not just me :)

i had a major craving tonight and dug this out of my cupboard (i'd been haording it a few months since the box was so expensive!). i added a bit of lemon oil to the mix, and it looked pretty good - 16oz. of cheese, how could it be bad? but the cheesecake packet smells like fish food (???) anyway though it smelled delightful the texture is spongy and not heavy and creamy like cheesecake. bleagh! the consistancy is more like quiche! ah well. it smells good! i will try the recipe above!

michelle
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-02, 10:10

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post Cheesecake

There are SO many excellend cheesecake recipes on this site, that spending $$$ on a mix that's no good is unnecessary...

Check out the Sweet Treats section of the forum, you'll find many ideas.

Enjoy!

Donald
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-02, 18:37

Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%

Smelled like fish food? YUCK!!

Candice
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-02, 20:02
Registered Member

Stats: 232/208/130 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 24%

yes, and.... i threw the cheesecake away and i NEVER throw anything away! it got me past a binge, i ate 2 pieces, but by the next morning i was looking at it like, "how the heck did i eat that? it's nothing more than rubbery sweet quiche!"

LOL what a waste of 16oz of cream cheese. i'm going to try the cheesecake in the recipe section of this website.

michelle
218/212/130