Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 03:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/160/128 Female 5foot
BF:
Progress:
Default Low Carb Crunch Bars

Good Morning:

I purchased a box of low-carb crunch bars at Costo Yesterday ($21.99/box). There were 15 bars in the box; 5 peanut butter (2.5 grams of carb per bar), 5 chocolate chip (2 grams of carb per bar), and 5 chocolate (2.5 grams of carb per bar). They taste really good.

I'm off induction since Monday the 23rd. Therefore, do you think it is okay to endulge by having one of those bars if you crave something sweet?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 09:47
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

You'll have to try it and see. Some people's weight loss will stall because of the sugar alcohols, and they give some people intestinal problems. Many people disagree that sugar alcohols can be subtracted from the total carb count. They are clearly absorbed and metabolized by some people.

More info here.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 11:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/200/170 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress:

I am following the induction phase (6 weeks) and I do treat myself to a bar everyother day just to relieve the bordedom of induction, they seem to work for me, I purchased good morning bars-cinnamon buns- they are good but I found them very sweet, guess after 6 weeks of no sugar even very little of the sugar substitutes just the slightest sweetness is plently for me! I find it funny that I crave chicken not sweets??
I am on a plateau can't seem to get over/under the 190 pound mark, something in my body just won't let the weight go!! I'll give it another week and see, it is frustrating eating low carbs and feeling great but the scale says not this week they are staying around!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 17:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90210
Good Morning:

I purchased a box of low-carb crunch bars at Costo Yesterday ($21.99/box). There were 15 bars in the box; 5 peanut butter (2.5 grams of carb per bar), 5 chocolate chip (2 grams of carb per bar), and 5 chocolate (2.5 grams of carb per bar). They taste really good.

I'm off induction since Monday the 23rd. Therefore, do you think it is okay to endulge by having one of those bars if you crave something sweet?

These bars are 10g carb net apiece (and that's if you deduct sugar alcohols...not everybody does). When going off Induction and into ongoing weight loss, you're supposed to increase your net carb count per day by only 5g and keep it at only 5g more per day for at least a week and see how you do.

So a half a bar a day is your best case scenario and if your weight loss slows down or you feel bad, they're your first suspect.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 17:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops
I am following the induction phase (6 weeks) and I do treat myself to a bar everyother day just to relieve the bordedom of induction, they seem to work for me, I purchased good morning bars-cinnamon buns- they are good but I found them very sweet, guess after 6 weeks of no sugar even very little of the sugar substitutes just the slightest sweetness is plently for me! I find it funny that I crave chicken not sweets??
I am on a plateau can't seem to get over/under the 190 pound mark, something in my body just won't let the weight go!! I'll give it another week and see, it is frustrating eating low carbs and feeling great but the scale says not this week they are staying around!!

Try stopping the bars for 2 weeks and see if your weight loss resumes...!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 08:36

Stats: 167/160/128 Female 5foot
BF:
Progress:

I have the nutritional information on the chocolate crunch bars and the net carbs equals 2 grams per bar not 10 grams. Here goes:

Total carbs = 19 grams
Dietary fiber = 6 grams.
Sugar alcohol = 11 grams
Therefore, the net carbs is 2 grams.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 00:27

Stats: 297/264.5/180 Female 5'8
BF:3rd/attempt/toLC
Progress: 28%

90210...I bought the same bars..and LOVE Them. They are such a nice change from Atkins Bars etc. I have one when I crave something sweet...and its good.

I have really liked all Genisoy products I've tried...

at Nanaimo costco they are only $19.99 a box...
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 02:21

Stats: 197/180/135 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 27%

the bars are fine if you're counting net carbs (which is what we're doing according to Atkins). Apparently some people do stall with the sugar alcohols though - so I'd say enjoy them in moderation and if you're weightloss stalls, try cutting them out again to see if that's the problem.

I have the bars and I think they're awesome. I'll only eat 1/2 at a time (half in the morning, half in late afternoon). As long as they don't stall you and your body isn't sensitive to the SA's you should do fine with them.