Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 19:11

Plan: My own
Stats: 340/340/180 Female 5' 10"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 0%
Default Incredible!!!

I tried this for supper tonight....for a little something different and I was AMAZED!!!!! It tasted just like my own french toast!!! I skip the sweetner and cinnamon....just eggs, cream and rinds....found my syrup frozen in the fridge so I used some SF raspberry jam instead....what a treat!!!!!!!

I was thinking....I could use this as a substitute bread as I used to do that with my regular high carb french toast too!!

Two thumbs up!!

Nicole
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 21:51
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 248/236/158 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 13%

My friend whom is trying to low carb with me is having a hard time living without her bread, I cant wait till monday to show some of these posts to her and the recipes i have copied off, I have to admit it all sounds YUCK! to me! lol but i am not much of a bread eater either. The reviews and raves you guys have all had tho have made me want to try some, i looooooooooove meat so the low carb diet is easy for me, at least so far it has been, but it will be nice to have some variance.

THANKS!
  #78   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 20:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226.6/209/154 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Question Substitute/explanation re pork rinds

Hi,

I live in Australia, a place with VERY different foods/brands to America. I have never heard of pork rinds before that you can buy - are they literally the skin from a leg of pork?

Anyway, I'm wondering if there is some way of making them? The only thing I can think of is making pork crackling without salt... in which case I guess it's without the fatty part underneath.

Any advice would be MOST appreciated, because I really love the sound of this French Toast!

Katt
  #79   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-03, 11:36
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Oh my GAWD. These are great!! Not only did I like them, but they passed the "unsuspecting boyfriend" test!! You should have seen the look on his face when I told him what they were made from! He really like them!

I used a lot of cinammon, plus a little nutmeg and vanilla.

I can't wait to try the parmesan/oregano version! I'm going to buy more pork rinds!!
  #80   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 18:42

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%
Thumbs up

I made this for dinner tonight. I wanted something besides meat and this really hit the spot! I could not believe how much it reminded me of real french toast... WAIT A SECOND... THIS IS REAL FRENCH TOAST! It was pure YUM!

Thanks for the awesome recipe!
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 09:54

Stats: 215/180/155 Female 5'4"
BF:57.2%/45%/25%
Progress: 58%

I tried this recipe for French Toast and it was incredible. I couldn't believe that it could taste that good what with the pork rinds and all. I asked my husband to taste it (he's not on the diet) and he agreed it was good. It was a nice change from soft boiled eggs (although I love them). Thanks everyone for a great idea
  #82   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 09:01
Registered Member

Stats: 171/155/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default French toast pizza

I don't think anybody did this yet...I put a Tbls of tomato paste in a savoury batter, then used the pancake as a pizza base and piled on the toppings. I spread some olive tapenade down to make the pizza moist.

I like this, cause you can get the tubes of paste, so you don't feel pressured to finish anything off like you do when you open a jar of pizza sauce (how can you tell I live alone). The paste adds about 2.5 g of carbs according to fitday.

This was not the best thing ever, but very quick and tasty.
  #83   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 09:50
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts then Atkins now trying Somersizing
Stats: 122/118/110
BF:Dont know
Progress: 33%

I had the same problem Melissa but I was lucky and guessed well because they came out just right! I was really skeptical about this working but curiosity got the better of me and I have to say I was amazed! Aside from the fact I burped pork rind flavor the rest of the day, they were really close to actual thing. My hats off to this ingenuity
  #84   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 09:51
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts then Atkins now trying Somersizing
Stats: 122/118/110
BF:Dont know
Progress: 33%

LOL ~ Kristine I did the same with my husband and he said they were "Not bad"!
  #85   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 13:09
Registered Member

Plan: Meat & Eggs
Stats: 243/206.8/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Cool

For all you low-carbers who have never heard of pork rinds, here is a site where you can get a look at them (and purchase them if you want to). I DO NOT have any ties to this website. I simply did a Google search on "pork+rinds" (without the "s) and this is one of the results. You might want to do the same if you are thinking about buying online. There are lots of different sites there. Hope this helps.

http://www.wilstar.net/porkrinds/

Paris
  #86   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 21:37

Plan: General LC
Stats: 232/157.4/145 Female 5'6.5
BF:...getting lower
Progress: 86%
Talking

OMG - Rave, rave, rave!!!

All I can say is YUMMY!!! (and NO syrup ~ all!)

I was in Heaven when I made these for dinner last night. i made them again this morning! I ate the whole batch - both times!

Is this bad? I feel like such a pig...but goodness - it is soooo good. I was not craving bread before, but now when I need a sweet treat, this hits the spot. My hubby is appalled - I tried to get him to try them - no go - more for me though
  #87   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 14:35
Registered Member

Plan: somersize/atkins
Stats: 172/160/140
BF:
Progress: 38%

Groan, I really want to try this recipe, but I can't get pork rinds where I live. Which grocery chains usally carry it? are they affordable to purchase online? Everything I try from this forum is yummy, (I am currently in love with a mock danish) Thanks!
  #88   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 15:33

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post Findin' rinds

Sometimes it can be difficult to find pork rinds in traditional grocery stores. Have you tried 7-11 or convenience stores? That's where I buy mine if the grocery store is out.

P.S. My grocery store always has theirs on the bottom shelf underneath the chips. I guess not enough people grab them to warrant a higher position!

Donald
  #89   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 08:53

Plan: General LC
Stats: 232/157.4/145 Female 5'6.5
BF:...getting lower
Progress: 86%

This is so true - pork rinds seem to be hard to find, especially if you want some with flavoring other than Hot N Spicy (watch the dragon breathe - lol!)

I know in the mid-atlantic USA, Giant Food carries them (on the bottom shelf, and only one brand), Shoppers Food Warehouse carries them - found some on sale there. Like Donald said, almost any fast food, convenience mart carries them, at least in the South.

Good luck
  #90   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 13:45

Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%
Talking

I got this recipe when I first started LCing. And was amazed at how great it was!! It is a nice late night snack if all else fails.

I found a sugar free carb free maple syrup in my local grocery store, so I am all set. LOW CARB FOR LIFE!!