Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Sun, Jan-02-05, 19:00

Plan: SpecificCarbohydrateDiet
Stats: 160/160/140 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I tried Carb Solutions Good Mornings! bars (Pecan Cinnamon Bun flavor). Not too good. If I was starving and stuck in a blizzard, I'd eat one, otherwise probably not. Has anyone tried the other flavors?
Since I'm low-carbing more due to grain intolerance than lbs (tho I'd like to lose a few!), I've tried making my own bread with almond flour, bananas, walnuts, etc. (You can find almond bread recipes at http://www.scd.org) It was okay, according to a friend. I thought it was a bit un-sweet compared to regular banana bread, but it would probably be good for sandwiches or with cream cheese on it.
PS Hello! My first post on the lowcarber forums.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 07:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 199.5/179/145
BF:
Progress: 38%

Has anyone tried the Quaker "Q-Smart" snack crisps? Very yucky! A weird mouth feel. Same with Doritos Edge and their nasty cheetos thing! Hate the Atkins Morning Bars...tried to convince myself they were good...they are not, for me anyway. Same with the low carb yogurt! I do like the Carb Countdown milk products.....I was a big milk drinker and this satisfies me. I love Smuckers Natural Peanut Butter, Kemp's Carb Promise Ice Cream (both the 1/2 Gal and the ice cream bars, yum!) although I didn't check for trans-fat. I also really like the Genisoy torilla chips. They work really well when everyone else is having the corn tortilla chips. I think I like them even better because of sesame seeds give them a little texture. I liked the Oreo cookies but I cannot buy them. I totally lose control!
  #123   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 16:35

Plan: my own
Stats: 150/150/150 Male 180cm
BF:7%
Progress:
Default ben and jerry's carb karma vanilla almond ice cream

avoid B&J Carb Karma Swiss Vanilla Almond "frozen desert". tastes like flour
Breyer's vanilla much better.
  #124   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 22:28
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Lovnlife - that link doesn't work. ????
  #125   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 19:39

Plan: SpecificCarbohydrateDiet
Stats: 160/160/140 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

The Specific Carbohydrate Diet link has changed...try on of the following for almond flour bread/muffin/etc recipes:
http://www.scdiet.org
http://www.scdrecipe.com
http://www.pecanbread.com

Specific Carbohydrate Diet is used for gastro diseases (Crohn's, ulcerative colitis) and by some parents to help their autistic or ADD kids. The nut flour recipes are great for those low-carbing as well, though.
  #126   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 11:58

Stats: 224/200/175 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:who/gives/a crap
Progress: 49%
Thumbs down Carbwise Gold Caramel Peanut Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammac-5
My sister got me some CarbWise Gold Carmel Peanut bars and they taste great! Unfortunately they seem to be labelled incorrectly. Says 3 net grams of carbs, but when you read the entire label it looks like it should be more like 7 grams. What gives?

I tried these and the taste was OK but boy did it do a number on me! I've never had a bar with sugar alcohols hit me so hard like this did. And I noticed the carb count too (of course after I ate it!). Won't do any of their bars again! I am stuck on those Pria CarbSelect PB Caramel Nut bars! They are delish and are great to throw in my purse for cravings at work. They are the best bar out there IMO.
  #127   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 14:33

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Red Vines -- Twizzler-type candies, sugar-free. OMG!!! I bought these a couple of days ago and ate two last night. I thought I was going to DIE! Now, I've eaten some sugar alcohols frequently during my LC life, but this was downright painful and I was unable to function for the entire evening.

Do not buy these unless you want to have abdominal pain comparable to appendicitis!!!
  #128   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 16:21

Plan: generic low carb now
Stats: 210/212/145 Female 63
BF:plenty
Progress: -3%

I bought a box of 4 of the General Mills Momentum bars at the dollar store for $1. There really is a reason so many LC products come and go quickly - taste horrible and have gastric consequences ... The manufacturers really are desperate to create products for people on a LC diet, they just don't get it that most of ust won't pay double or triple prices for something that tastes so bad ... and really isn't LC, to boot.

I will second that thought about the Pria bars. They ARE good, and I just bought 2 for 1 boxes at Costco with a coupon. I'm going to take one on my upcoming vacation to New Zealand, since I'm not sure how available LC meals will be.
  #129   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 11:03
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Just had my first Pria bar. Very good! Thanks for the heads up.
  #130   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 22:46

Stats: 224/200/175 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:who/gives/a crap
Progress: 49%

You're welcome. I just bought another flavor - cookies and caramel - I'm going to take it to work with me tommorrow. I'm sure it's good also. Thank god for pria bars! I had a major craving for m&m's (peanut - my fave) today! I resisted and ate my pria bar and the craving was gone.
  #131   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 08:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/158/130 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 55%

i went and bought 3 boxes of dreamfeilds and tried them on the family it was a hit we loved them. back on pasta again
  #132   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 18:20
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins, PP
Stats: 148/135/115 Female 62 inches
BF:32%
Progress: 39%
Thumbs up Pria Bars

I love Pria Bars, I am a peanut butter and chocolate freak. I try to limit them to 1-3 times per week. I work at Curves and eating "real lc food" is hard. I just nibble on one of these and use them as a snack or bridge to my next meal. Thank you to everyone and the info on all the LC foods. I am new to this whole thing and am trying desperately to grasp the LC lifestyle.
  #133   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-05, 19:42

Stats: 155/108/110 Female 64 inches
BF:33%/25%/22%
Progress: 104%

IMO:

Vile
Edy's ice cream with splenda is tasteless IMO--don't know if it has transfats, but probably--I have tried several diff flavours and hated them all--straight down the sink!
Carbsmart ice cream sandwiches are horrible
Ben&Jerry's LC ice cream--hated it
Agree with the previous poster about the Davinci Cinnamon syrup--like a nightmare liquid red-hot
atkins cranberry-orange muffins were horrid IMO

Okay
Eggo LC waffles are okay in a pinch--but they have transfats
atkins pancake mix is okay IMO (most people don't agree with this I think)
SF Milano cookies are pretty good (not great)--no transfats

Deeee-licious!
CarbSmart ice cream bars (vanilla with choc coating) are excellent
Polaner SF jam made with splenda--yum!
Hood Carb Countdown choc milk is the BOMB
Dreamfield's pasta--just terrific
Carbquik flour substitute (available at netrition.com) is very good--have to tweak your regular recipes that call for flour (add a little splenda, for example), but very useful--I can't believe I am able to eat scones again! And the current formulation has NO transfats!

Now I am curious to try the total protein--will have to check into its nutritional info. But I like my (regular) cooked oatmeal in the AM, so really there is no need for cold cereal.

Thanks for this thread--cheers

Lucy
  #134   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 12:08

Stats: 167/146/130 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Does anyone know anything about the Slim Fast low carb bars? Should they be avoided? They taste amazing but I haven't lost any weight since I discovered them so it makes me suspicious.
  #135   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 12:44

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 275/235/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by db81971
Oh yes, I have to agree on the Atkins syrup being colored water..... I even bought some maple extract to try to fix it.... but it didn't help. I should try to find this Walden Farms brand...

can you tell us where you found or where we might find the walden farm brand syrup. i like the atkins syrup but willing to try something different if you guys think it is better.

sorry wrong guy to reply to

Last edited by LOWCARBR : Tue, Feb-08-05 at 12:49.