Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-11, 18:09

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Pretty slow 'round these parts...

I'm really looking for some support during my low-carb pregnancy. It's pretty slow here, and the pregnancy section on the diabetes forum I frequent is also quite dead. I'm sure it's a bit of a faux pas to ask this here, but does anyone know of a more active community of low-carbing expectant mothers? It's tough going it "alone" when people are constantly insisting that crackers, pasta, rice, cereal, oatmeal, etc., are the "healthy" foods I should be eating and will make me "feel" so much better (yeah, by making my diabetes come back with a vengeance!).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-11, 18:57

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

You might try "lowcarbfriends" under Women's Health.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-11, 19:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%

Wow. I can't offer any info but was blown away by your stats. I went with all the rice, crackers, etc. during my pregnancy (both times) and I piled on weight. They couldn't figure out how or why my sugar was so messed up. Good luck.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-11, 05:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainecyn
Wow. I can't offer any info but was blown away by your stats.

As far as my stats, please note that my highest weight included before my weight loss surgery (noted in my signature), so I can't attribute it all to low-carbing
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-11, 06:38

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I hope you can find more support! I had a hard time even finding anecdotes of women who had low-carbed throughout their pregnancies. I remained very successfully low carb for my entire pregnancy and could not be happier for having done so, my baby is 6 months old now. The benefits to you and your growing baby are so worth it! I credit my lack of morning sickness to being LC, when I did get a tiny bit of queasiness broths were my friend.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-11, 11:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish
I hope you can find more support! I had a hard time even finding anecdotes of women who had low-carbed throughout their pregnancies. I remained very successfully low carb for my entire pregnancy and could not be happier for having done so, my baby is 6 months old now. The benefits to you and your growing baby are so worth it! I credit my lack of morning sickness to being LC, when I did get a tiny bit of queasiness broths were my friend.

I've been pretty much sticking with it so far, and I've had no morning sickness. I have had some nausea, but no actual sickness, and the nausea is not constant. In fact, in reading other forums of women who are about as far along as I am, I feel like I must not even be pregnant because I have such severely mild symptoms in comparison!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-20-11, 16:05

BF:

Feeling "not pregnant" was exactly how my whole pregnancy was like. Even going more than 2 weeks past my due date I was still quite comfortable, I could have stayed pregnant longer and wouldn't have been upset about it
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-11, 13:49

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

health.groups.yahoo.com/group/PregnantAtkids/?yguid=139052228

saw this link in another thread.

Congrats on your pregnancy and i hope that it continues to be easy and symptomfree
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-11, 20:28

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

i have almost no symptoms either. I really couldnt believe it that i'm pregnant and have no nausea. If this is what lowcarbing and pregnancy is like then count me in!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-26-11, 13:48

Plan: low carb/high fat
Stats: 179/154/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 57%

If you find another board, do let me know. I've been looking, too, and haven't found one that is "alive". I joined the yahoo group PregnantAtkids and they are dead. I mean DEAD. LOL
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-11, 10:14

Plan: Kind of primal
Stats: 204/174/140 Female 163 cm
BF:
Progress: 47%

You could try mothering.com. The forums there have a finding your tribe section and if you look under traditional foods there should be a few grain free and/or paleo and pregnant threads.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-11, 15:28

BF:

The suggestion above for "lowcarbfriends" was okay - busier than here, but not everyone is really actually sticking to low carb. The group is more focused on sort of general pregnancy stuff than on eating low in carbs. Nice bunch of women, though.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-11, 05:35

Plan: low carb/high fat
Stats: 179/154/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Thank you for the link, Rainbow. I never would of found that. LOL It took me 5 mintues to figure out where the forum was. Haha Of course, I'm a dork. lol
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-11, 06:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksgirl
Thank you for the link, Rainbow. I never would of found that. LOL It took me 5 mintues to figure out where the forum was. Haha Of course, I'm a dork. lol

Wait, I went to mothering.com and found the forum, but nothing on low-carb/paleo. Did you find those? I may have to look again...

Admittedly, I got a bit caught up in reading a thread about eating your placenta, and then I stopped searching the site.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-11, 08:20

BF:

There's a forum post under the sub-forum of "Natural Living" then under "traditional Foods." Usually the topic is titled something like "primal/Grain free August" or something similar. There used to be a few LC proponents there, but don't be surprised if you start or get involved in a debate about LC either. It's always a good opportunity to educate those who don't know .

I used to frequent MDC, except they rely heavily on advertising and getting on the site really jams up my pc. I do think there is a lot of info there if you have time to filter through it all.