Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 10:13
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Those who follow Jimmy--how's he been doing?

Is there a protion/secton of his site that just blogs about what he's eating and how he's doing? or do I have to slog thru all the other stuff?

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 10:17

Plan: Intuitive eating
Stats: 200/125/- Female 1.62m (5'4")
BF:
Progress: 97%

#63   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 10:24
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Oh thanks!! That's just what I was looking for
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 13:00

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

sorry mistake, reply out of place
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Jan-18-10, 03:15

Plan: moderate carb
Stats: 300/209/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Well, as a previous poster said.....he followed true to form and it took him about 2 weeks to go back to his sweets. "Slip sliding away".....that's the song that comes to mind. He's back on his 'juice'.
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Jan-18-10, 13:13

BF:

He seems fixated on carbs as the ONE tool. So anything that is not carbs, can't be the problem.

What Lisa said about leptin, and my own experience with addiction - either of those models explains his experience better - his brain chemicals are in charge, not what he thinks he thinks. Honestly I have sympathy.

Plus, in my experience coming back from that sort of brain disregulation is not just a matter of "taking away" the bad stuff. It is also deliberately "putting in" the good stuff and not just food but behaviors like eating on time and going to bed on time and having emergency food ready instead of saying "my crazy day made me eat bad". (Because leptin and the reward hormones respond to all kinds of these behaviors too)

One will never learn any of this if one keeps looking only at carb levels. It's like trying to fix an electrical problem with a hammer.
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Jan-18-10, 13:21
Registered Member

Plan: Zero Carb / Warrior Diet
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

Well, we all know the products he advertises (and gets paid for) could not be the problem! (HEAVY SARCASM). Must be something like drinking too much water. No, the problem is not eating enough low carb bagels and cookies!
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 05:42

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

It may be the products he uses, or it may not. My guess is that he probably feels he can't stick to low carbing if he can't enjoy the WOE. I totally sympathize with that. However he does seem to try to go all out for no AS/lc products and then goes back all in with it. Sometimes with these things the way to go is reduce first. I remember being a little bit addicted to diet coke, in that I was drinking it throughout the day (probably about 1 litre every day). I cut that out and still had some saccharin in my tea - did that for a year and then cut the saccharin out.

Now I have the very occasional dc if I'm out, and I have an untouched full bottle in the house for friends who like to drink rum/dc - but it remains untouched by me. I think it was more a habit rather than strong addiction for me though.

Anyway I did notice that I can get away with a bit of sweet every now and then but not all day long every day (belly fat revisited).

If those low carb wrap things have gluten in them....well there is a big problem right there for a lot of people.
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 07:54

Plan: Atkins OWL Rung 4/ IF
Stats: 135/125/115 Female 5'4
BF:19% (approx)
Progress: 50%

i think his podcasts are excellent and extremely informative. i don't follow his blog however.

did anyone listen to the 'fat to skinny fast and easy guy"? he was kind of a douche. i like it when he has actual experts on there.
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 10:46

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball

Thanks for the link. I like Jimmy, even though we got into a little contention over my review of the Eades's new '6 Week Cure' book at amazon. I like him well enough that I have signed up to go on his 2010 Low Carb Cruise this March. I think he is a great proselytizer for the whole low carb movement, and he has some fabulous and thought-provoking guests on his podcasts.

But I sure am sorry to see him daily menus on the above blog. Diet Coke every day, flourless chocolate cake every day, Dreamfields pasta almost every day. I think he is doing himself a big disservice.

I'm one of those who does not find the occasional LC sweet treat to be 'gateway'. In fact the times that I have eventually fallen off LC and gained back a lot of weight have general been the times I have been the most rigid in avoiding all sweet treats. I could do it for a few weeks, or even months. But the longer I avoided them the more and more I would feel deprived and want them.

I mean I would much rather have a small serving of LC flourless chocolate cake than the so-called 'real thing'. The LC one is just right for taking the edge off my cravings and does NOT cause any additional cravings. The sugary, floury thing would make my system go totally haywire.

I've tried ZC/VLC. It worked well for dropping some additional weight, but since I'm not all that crazy about meat (especially beef which is probably my least fave meat) I did get more and more depressed the longer I stayed on it. But I might try it again and see if I can drop more weight. I think maybe I need to cycle. I actually feel best when following a Kwasniewski-style diet. I also do all my own cooking. That way, even if I feel the need for a LC sweet of some sort I can control the sweetness. Most commericial "frankenfood" LC sweets are *far* too sweet for me. I was out with my sister and BiL not long ago at a local diner. I had eaten lunch shortly before they invited me out, so I decided to try the sugar-free cheesecake offered on the menu. It was so sickeningly sweet I almost gagged on it.

So my taste buds have adjusted but I still like an occasional "sweet". Just not that often, and not that sweet, . Like Jimmy I used to be a diet coke with lime addict and had to have it every day! I kicked the habit mainly as a way of saving money, but now I don;t miss it a bit. Sometimes I will add a splash of key lime juice to my water, and that seems like a treat.

I've occasionally made a chocolate "cake" similar to the one Jimmy eats, from a recipe I found right here by our own Nancy. But I don't make it *every day*. I think he really needs to drop the daily diet coke, the daily chocolate 'cake', the daily Dreamfields pasta. If those things really help him stay on track then let them be *occasional* treats. Maybe once a week, then maybe every other week, then maybe once a month, etc.

Last edited by Merpig : Tue, Jan-19-10 at 11:26.
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 14:52
Registered Member

Plan: Zero Carb / Warrior Diet
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

If Jimmy is a good example of a low carb eater, I'm glad I eat Zero Carb and he does not represent me. Real LCers should feel outraged that he "represents" them.
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 15:07

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

I don't feel outraged - why should I? Lots of people DO have success still chugging diet coke and eating dreamfields. Who cares? I am the only one that represents myself as far as I know

As far as I'm concerned, a real low-carber is someone who eats low-carb. A successful one is somebody who finds what works for them long-term.
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 15:14

Plan: Atkins OWL Rung 4/ IF
Stats: 135/125/115 Female 5'4
BF:19% (approx)
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by klowcarb
If Jimmy is a good example of a low carb eater, I'm glad I eat Zero Carb and he does not represent me. Real LCers should feel outraged that he "represents" them.

yeah, he does it a lot of crap. junk is junk, regardless of whether it is low carb or not.

is he trying to lose weight or maintain? if he's trying to maintain then i guess its ok...but lucky him if he can lose w/ that menu.

on a positive note. i LOVE his podcasts. I learn SO much from them.
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 15:33

Plan: Low Carb<30day + Exercise
Stats: 295/265/180 Female 5' 6"
BF:ToO MUch!
Progress: 26%

I remember reading his success story and finding it very inspirational - he deserves kudos for that and also the informative information on his site.

however, I don't find his meals (recent one's at least...that's what I read) inspirational or "true" to low carb. If he is/has put back on weight he owes it to himself to eat clean and focus on the basics only and stay away from all that fake stuff and sweeteners!

Just my opinion.
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 15:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenity77
I remember reading his success story and finding it very inspirational - he deserves kudos for that
I think it's borderline unethical not to follow up with, he has gained back some 50 pounds, is still obese, and not able to get the weight back down. For all the people inspired by his original story, doesn't that make them wonder a bit, about the down-the-road story?