Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 13:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/180.5/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Any one have a Tanita Scale?

I wanted a Tanita Scale so bad, so for my Birthday in Feb. I bought one for myself. I'm very happy with the weight part of it, but the bf% is way off and bounces around every day.

This morning my BF on Tanita was 43.5% yesterday at the same time of day (I weight every morning when I wake up) it was 42.5%. When I do the % according to PP I'm at about 32%. I wouldn't mind if it read higher, but it never gives me the same %, making it very hard to track how I'm doing. Just wondered if anyone else had the same trouble.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 13:07

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs down Tanita

Harley, from what I've heard and read BF% wise they can be off by as much as 9%. If you drink water your reading will change by as much as 5% - so imagine if you're dehydrated or if your muscle are particularly swollen that day?

I am no expert when it comes to these scales, but every few weeks this question gets posted over at lean & strong and the advice is always stick with measurements, a second set of objective eyes and the 'pant-o-meter' for progress information.

Bottom line is don't let a second scale reading get you down. Just as a scale weight reading can be inacurate so can a BF% reading.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 18:47
TerrieP

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Hate That Scale

I have a Tanita. It is way off. This may help a little, set it to Male or the Athlete setting and use the number as a guide (i.e. watch it go down).

Your feet should be moist (not drenched) when you step on it too.

My husband actually hid my scale on me because it was driving me nuts. I have not seen it in over a month.

Use pants o' meters and the measuring tape to guage your progress, it is much better on the psyche, especially with BFL.