Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 12:35

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%
Default Sooo Frustrated

It's almost 10:00AM and I am not showered or dressed yet and about my chores as I should be because I just felt so down this AM.

Seems to me that I am gaining weight and inches instead of the other way around. I don't mind the lbs going up if the inches are going down but my pants and clothes are fitting tighter around the stomach area than they were at the beginning of my challenge.

I am working out to intensity/failure following the pyramid program for BFL. I am trying to focus on the muscle groups being worked. I am holding for the one count to get the maximum work for that muscle group. I am doing the cardio properly (though my 10s vary from day to day). My muscles are almost always sore what w/ the workouts and practicing belly dancing.

I am drinking 6L or more of water almost every day except free day when I might drink less.

I don't take any supplements except vitamin C powder and L-Glutamine (started taking it a week ago). Can't afford any more supplements than that.

I use protein drinks (DynaWhey - 1.8g carbs & Proflex - 3.5g carbs both whey proteins and both mixed w/ water) and a protein shake (SlimDown - 0g carbs - a soy based protein which I mix w/ 1 pkt splenda, 10 drops liquid sugar twin & 1 cup half & half cream) to help supplement my meals. Usually don't have more than one SlimDown in a day when I have it because it is 11.5g carbs once I add the cream and AS.

I am also trying to eat six "meals" a day. But this is probably where I am tripping up--my food. I can't eat any more than I am because I already feel as if I am full all the time. I have been trying to be careful w/ nuts and dairy as I think they bloat me a bit. I have increased carbs somewhat (have had the occasional brown rice, and last week 1 cup of al dente speghetti - low on the glycemic index - and more berries). I sometimes have anywhere from 1 to 4 pieces of 70% cocoa chocolate made by Lindt during the week if the mood strikes me. But I should mention I don't know the carb count. I don't think it's affecting me as it is quite a bitter chocolate but seems to satisfy any urge I feel for chocolate during the week.

On my free days I will eat some junk if I feel like it (choc bar, dessert, etc), don't force myself to drink more water than I feel like, sometimes eat low glycemic carbs (brown rice, low carb bread, etc) but I don't overeat.

Two other things: I sometimes get that insulin spike (i.e. wanting to eat) even after eating protein to satiation. It is exactly how I used to feel, a year ago, after eating a big plate of speghetti--w/in about 10 minutes I would feel hungry even though my stomach was full. Is this happening because I have actually eaten too much or what? Can't figure it out.

And my last concern is how tired I have been feeling lately. I admit I don't think I am getting enough sleep but it is very hard to try and get in the nine or so hours I think I might be needing right now when I have a house full of kids. It is just not feasible to get to bed and to sleep by 10:00 PM even though I try. I am getting about seven hours right now. And I am experiencing those mid-afternoon drowsy periods that I remember so well before locarbing. By about 8:00 PM I am absolutely whipped. Eating potein or fat doesn't seem to help.

I am assuming these two things are a result of the BFL program and the intense demands that I have been placing on my body.

So my problem, after boring you with all the gory details, is that I am not only gaining weight (up to 121 lbs) but I am also gaining inches. This AM, I did some quick measuring even though official Week 8 measure is not until Sunday and according to the measurements, I have jumped from 24.25% body fat four weeks ago to 25% body fat today . Not going to completely panic until Sunday AM as I know I have just come out of TOM and ovulation.

Also not giving up either. Went straight to Bodychangers to look at the women's transformations but though the pics were very inspiring I noticed that every single one of them used a ton of supplements like myoplex bars/shakes, creatine, glutimaine, phenfree, etc. So that didn't help me much.

Than I went to lean and strong (not a member of the board but do check it out every so often when I have questions) and did a search. Okay, I managed to find about two or three posts from women in the past year who are/have also experienced what I am going through re gaining and the tiredness. But I still didn't find any reassurance about why this might be happening.

Anybody have any comments or suggestions? Like I said I am not giving up. I am not a quitter. But I will be so disappointed to get to the end of challenge one feeling like I went backwards (as far as body shape and size go) rather than forwards or at the very least, maintaining status quo.

Thanks for reading my rant.

Bobbie

P.S. I don't use fitday. Tried it for a month way back but just don't have the time what w/ all the other stuff in my life and getting on here every day.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 12:51

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Boy, can I hear the frustration, Bobbie

The program is supposed to work for you - not you for it. If you cannot get in the 6 meals then don't. My advice is to scale down the size of your meals; eat less at each sitting. If you're full then stop eating. When you're ready to eat more your body will tell you.

Have you been getting enough sleep? I know you have four children and a hectic shedule - you're probably a little sleep deprived? Sleep is when your muscles grow - I'm sure you know this. I hate to say it but with the BFL and the belly dancing you may be doing too much. Perhaps cutting down on the cardio and getting some extra sleep would help. Let the muscles burn the fat.

Doing too much (this includes BFL, belly dancing, being a mother of 4 children and running a household) can lead to overtraining.

Don't sweat the inches or the lbs right now. Give it the full 12 weeks. You started off quite close to your goal, for some people gaining muscle AND losing fat is not possible. You have to do one or the other. The muscle you've built - and you have grown some after 8 weeks - will burn the fat. Like you, I have read many of the stories on L&S and yes, there are some women who've gone through this. For some the big changes do not happen until week 12.

It can be tough to believe when you see the numbers going up and the inches not comming off - you have to have faith in the program.

Cut back on the cardio, get more sleep (this is very important) and scale back the size of your meals and/or cut one of them out.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 13:06

Default Thank you Thank you Thank you

Nat,

Been hovering (still not showered or dressed ) on the forum reluctant to get off just yet when I noticed you had replied.

Diva told me before that maybe I should cut out the Saturday cardio but I felt determined to push it at least for this challenge. Maybe I will cut that one out as I sure would love to sleep in at least one day a week (the kids can make their own breakfast).

And I do know that my body needs the rest to grow those muscles. It's just when is there time to sleep???? Just kidding. I need to really do my best to get to bed earlier. As it is, I am catnapping for 2-5 minutes sometimes if I sit down while supper is cooking!

And as for food, since Monday, I have only been eating five meals a day (approx 9 AM, 12PM, 3PM, 6PM, 9PM) because the three hour intervals feel much better and not as forced. Just haven't posted in my journal yet.

Anyway, thanks again. As I have said over and over, I am not giving up because I know this program works. Too many testimonials from ordinary people for me to believe otherwise!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 13:15

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Bobbie, I actually meant cut out all the 20 MAS's - at least for a week. Get the rest - sleep in. It's far more important, IMHO.

And I never once thought you would not finish the 12 weeks How's that for a double negative?

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 13:33

Default Cut them all out??????

Gasp!

I don't know if I can do that. I am conditioned.

On the other hand, the cardio is my nemesis and any excuse to kick it out the door . . . .

Hmmmm . . . Will have to wrestle with this one.