Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 18:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Modified
Stats: 235/?/165
BF:
Progress: 23%
Cool Starting BFL Feb 1st... any partners?

Have been totally inspired by all the BFL posts. Thank you to all that have gone before to blaze the trail, your insights are invaluable!!

I purchased the book this afternoon, and plan to sit down and make a list of weights I'll need for the first couple weeks. Know that there will be some eating behavior modifications.... newbie to LC since 12/27, and just getting the hang of it. But thanks to Nat, the transition should be easier.

Looking for BFL buddies that are interested in starting Feb 1st, anyone out there?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 22:23

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi there Janeane.....

I hope that you go ahead and start as planned whether you have a buddy or not. I think that you can still get support from the rest of us until a buddy shows up.

I have to tell you that I'm loving the plan. I'm not finding it difficult at all, in any aspect. I'm eager to get up in the morning because I'm looking forward to the workout that I have planned for the day. Last Saturday I'd planned to sleep in and do my cardio late...like maybe 10 or 11 AM. I woke up at six thirty and after lying in bed awake until seven thirty, gave up and went to the gym. It's the high point of my day!

Marlaine
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 20:23

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Janeane I like to think that we're all buddies - nothing like support from all sides

I am planning on starting challenge 2 on Sunday, February 2nd (I think - I still can't bring myself to look for a calendar !)

I managed to do all my workouts for week 10 and one in week 11 and I've been making up for it this week (1 UBWO and 1 LBWO and a 20 MAS since Saturday morning). I'll take a few days off at the end of the week and do some measuring and then start 'er up on Sunday.

I'm feeling healthy again (I was sick down in Cuba for most of the trip) and I was stronger this morning than I've ever been. I am psyched for the next 12 weeks. Spring wardrobe here I come!

All the best to everyone.
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 09:19
TerrieP

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default BFL Buddy

I have been trying to train out the soreness for two weeks now and will begin the official BFL (still low carbing though) on 2/2 too! I have my vegetarian (skinny) husband doing it too. He will be drinking lots of protein shakes. The last two weeks of working out 6 days a week has been so much fun. I have more energy and fall dead asleep at night.

I have to say that reading Nat's journal has given me the more inspiration then reading BFL.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 23:46
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up On my way soon.......

Purchased an incline bench and weights this afternoon, and hope to have it all assembled by Wednesday LOL. Did the treadmill ala' BFL this am, WOW, what a workout... and here I thought I was doing well with my 2.5 mile walk, yikes, it was nothing compared to the 20 min workout.

I also purchased Glucosamine Sulfate 750 mg, Is this the right muscle rebuilder that you had suggested Nat?

Thank you for your support and advice Nat and Marlaine. It's an exciting adventure, can't wait to start.

Terrie; I'm hoping my husband will also do the BFL workout, he just needs to buff up, and loose 15 lbs or so.

Nat; I still have a goal weight of 165#, do you feel that I should re-adjust that weight, considering the muscle gain/weight loss difference?

Janeane
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 01:00

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I think the supplement you meant to have is L-Glutamine, the amino acid. I've done some reading on it and it's pretty wonderful stuff.

What you got is good stuff for joints. I've taken it and it pretty much resolved my old lady aches and pains.

Marlaine

P.S. You live in Leavenworth!! Kewl town!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 21:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Re: On my way soon.......

Quote:
Originally posted by skimom
Purchased an incline bench and weights this afternoon, and hope to have it all assembled by Wednesday LOL. Did the treadmill ala' BFL this am, WOW, what a workout... and here I thought I was doing well with my 2.5 mile walk, yikes, it was nothing compared to the 20 min workout.

Janeane

Hi Janeane,

I'm really glad you are diving into BFL. You are so active already, I think you're gonna love this. LOL about your 20 MAS on the treadmill, it's gonna make YOU buff in no time!

Marlaine is absolutely right about the supplement. L-glutamine. I would go so far as to say that you don't want to start HIIT weight training until you have some, 'cause otherwise you'll be in pain.

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress and successes with BFL!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 07:24

BF:
Default Re: On my way soon.......

Quote:
Nat; I still have a goal weight of 165#, do you feel that I should re-adjust that weight, considering the muscle gain/weight loss difference?

Janeane , I think this is entirely up to you - I say forget the scales and see what 12 weeks brings you. If you're not satisfied try another The number on the scales will start to mean less and less to you as you see the transformation begin. It is not unusual to drop 10 or 15 lbs of scale weight but actually lose 20 lbs of fat - it's the drop in fat coupled with the muscle gain that is important.

Marlaine and Ruth are right about the glutamine - its an amino acid that will make a world of difference in your world of hurt for the first few resistance workouts. Get the powdered stuff that you mix with water - you need between 10 - 15g a day in at least 2 doses; if you bought the pills you'd be popping about 30 of them a day

HTH
Nat
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 10:11
Registered Member

BF:

I'm on my way to market to purchase the Glutamine. The muscles were screaming last night, and I woke up pretty regularly. But, by morning I was ready to hop on the treadmill.

Thanks for the advice about the scale.... I have a self admitted scale phobia, and need to stay away from it, just needed that re-inforcement from others.... so, gulp, I won't get on the scale until Feb 28th.

I need to go back and check the food journals for you gals, I've got the 3 balanced LC meals down, and am finding it difficult to add the 3 extra.... know that the protein shakes are a very good option (but the cost )

Thanks again, for your continued advice and willingness to pass on assistance to this FBL fan.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 10:59

BF:

Quote:
I've got the 3 balanced LC meals down, and am finding it difficult to add the 3 extra.... know that the protein shakes are a very good option (but the cost )

Take those 3 meals and divide them into 6, Janeane. The object is to make it through 3 hours on a meal - not the traditional 6. You eat basically the same amount of food just in different quantities - and differing ratios (more protein and carbs).

Nat
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 19:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Janeane,

Please PM me with your addy, I can email you a Word document that I assembled by cut & paste of Nat's daily menus & counts from the beginning of BFL up to about 3 weeks or so ago.

That may help you get some idea how you can vary things & save you a bunch of time. It's funny tho, once I worked on the cut & pasting, I haven't referred to it again probably because I read it thoroughly while working on it.

This offer is good for anyone else who reads this & would like it emailed to them.

Nat: you are such a good role model, thanks for posting your daily menus so faithfully. I didn't 'fess up earlier because you were so busy getting ready for Cuba.

Ruthie
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 21:36

BF:

*LOL* Ruth, I hope you fixed any typos!!!

Nat
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 15:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 244/231/135
BF:
Progress: 12%
Smile

Ruth,

It won't let me pm you, but I was wondering if you could also send me the daily menu that cut & pasted? That would be wonderful! My email is crzyblond~charter.net Thanks so much!

Crzyblond
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 07:46
Registered Member

BF:
Wink Food Logs

Nats food logs have been insightful and helpful. It always makes it easier to look at what someone else has done before. Now, if I can just figure out what a mock danish is

The GNC vanilla protein drink, mixed with the L-gultmine does the trick for those sore muscles. I was toast without them.

Still working on the 6 meals a day, do fine with the breakfast and lunch, dinner is harder for some reason for me.

Looking forward to a strong body and a stronger mind.

#15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 10:45
TerrieP

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Mock Danish

Here's the recipie

Mock Danish

2 oz cream cheese (soften in microwave)
1 egg