Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 14:48

Plan: Schwarzbein prin
Stats: 158/155/120
BF:
Progress:
Default YogaBuff's kick in the pants

OK, I used to weight train, and run, and was 115#, and in great shape. Then, I threw it all away( partly cause it was too hard to do STARVING on a lo-fat diet). This was 3 short yrs. ago at the age of 43. D'oh!

I've come to realize that the walks I take and the (albeit beloved) yoga are just not gonna get or keep me in shape. And also, the more modified Schwarzbein diet will require some major fat burn and muscle build to make it work.

So, thanks to the wisdom I've soaked up here from the likes of trainerDan, Missydog, Nat, and many others who bust their booties workin' out, I've revised my ezercise program, and wish to start a gym log. Thanks, guys, for the kick in the pants!

Well, lets see, Monday I did a video (I'm not a gym goer- for those of you who scoff at vids--check out the Firm tapes- they are aerobic and weight training in one hour, and I personally think they kick bootie. I got really small and toned before on them).

Tuesday, I ran 2 miles with Bear, the dog. He LOVED it-- I almost died, but am glad to be back up to 2 mi. again!

Today, I did a Firm tape again (1hr. areobics and weights). I'm a homebody, what can I tell you? Sweatin bullets. Hope to do 20 min. of yoga tonight. This gettin' back in shape is very sore and painful-- thanks, TrainerDan for the advice you gave on aleve.

YB
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 16:01

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up

Welcome back Yoga buff!

For the pain of sore muscles (specially after your first few workouts) I have found that glutamine works wonders. It's an amino acid that carries nitrogen to the cells; it protects your muscles from wasting, bolsters your immune system, and greatly reduces soreness from workouts. I've been using it in powder form; a teaspoon (5g) in a one litre water bottle while working out and another later in the day. It's odourless and tasteless and it reallly does the trick.

Looking forward to reading more,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 11:29

BF:
Progress:

Thanks, Nat! Hhmmmm.....glutamine.....I may even have that downstairs in the menagerie of stuff hubby has tried for his hurtin' bod. If not' I look for it at the store today.

Well, today did 2 mi. run and 20 min. of yoga stretches for those sore quadriceps.

Gonna take a very warm bath in a minute, too, for that problem. Aaaaahhhh!

Weight in the -oh, shoot, can't think of the word-- BOX (LOL!) at left is probably not correct, as I do not like to weigh very often during weight training-- I must be one of those lucky people who packs on the muscle easily, cause this always happens. That's OK-- Muscle burns fat llike mad.

YB
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 11:32

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 173/150/135
BF:
Progress: 61%

Hey, YogaBuff,

Glad to see you started a gym log. And that's great that you did a 2-mile aerobic workout already! I started my CKD regime about six days ago and it was pretty darn hard at first not just in terms of doing it, but in terms of the pain that happened afterward. But it has gotten better pretty quick. Of course it is still a one day at a time type of project for me, all this working out.

I'm really interested in what kind of weights you use (how heavy) and what kind of a routine you do that lasts an hour. Could you let me know your secret?

Missydog
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 12:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by YogaBuff
Thanks, Nat! Hhmmmm.....glutamine.....I may even have that downstairs in the menagerie of stuff hubby has tried for his hurtin' bod. If not' I look for it at the store today.

Yoga, everything you wanted to know about Glutamine but were afraid to ask:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...9248#post219248

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-01, 09:58

BF:
Progress:

Thanks, Nat, you and trainerDan are just a Flow of information. Didn't find the glutamine yet, had to stop the search to take son to driver's training session. (my baby--sigh). I know of at least 2 places that will have it- will call first.Actually, muscles are less sore, but it would be nice to have it around.

Today did 1 hr. of cardio-weight combo tape(Firm)

Missydog, funny you should ask. Boy, have I lost a lot of strength since I quit lifting3 yr. ago. I use free weights at home. At one time, I could do lat rows with 20-25 # and overhead presses with 12-15#(each hand), and bicep curls with 12#ea. hand, Tricep kick-back-type- things with 8-10#, 5# ankle weights for ALL KINDS of leg lifts, and a step-up stool at 12" (I'm short) for glute work, lunges with 10# in each hand. I don't own a barbell, I've always been happy and gotten super results with the dumbbells.

As for NOW, well , I'm lifting about 3-5# less on each of those moves, so I have a lot of strength building to do. I know this isn't nearly what people lift in a gym, but Works for me. There are lots of other things I do too, like pec flies, and abswork, etc. Without viewing a Firm video, it's hard to get a good picture of what they teach you. We have a weight machine in the basement, and barbell and bench hubby and the kids use, but everybody knows the free weights are MOM'S.

My goal is to get back in my clothes before I die. Or, my birthday next September would be nice.

YB
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-01, 10:26

BF:

YogaBuff,

Actually, if you ask me, a 3-lb. loss in your ability to lift doesn't sound all that bad. I bet you'll be back to your old self quicker than you think. I've only been lifting a week (3 sessions so far) and at first I was dreadfully sore afterward. But already I've reached the point where I'm not sore at all after lifting and I think I'll bump my weight up a bit on my next session. I work out at home, too. (Hey, I'm a homebody like you. It saves all that money I'd have to spend on a gym membership). I have a bench and a new curling bar and plates for it ranging from 5 to 35 pounds. Right now I'm using it at 25. I can use the bar for squats, and shoulder and chest presses as well. In addition, I have a whole range of dumbbells that I use for other exercises. But I can't imagine going at it for an hour. My limit is about 35-45 minutes.

Missydog
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-01, 12:05

BF:
Progress:

Oh, yeah, dreadfully sore about describes it. Going up the stairs with 2 or 3 baskets of laundry a day like I do was the killer! Well, the tapes I do ( unless I say it's a weight tape only) are about 25 min. aerobic, and the rest weights. Also squats, dips and lunges with weights on your shoulders. My rear and thighs hurt. But it IS already much better, thanks to Nat's advice on glutamine, and with time.

Today-- lower body only with weights, dips, lunges, squats, and step-ups on a 12" stool. (MANY, many, many step ups).
for 45 min. plus 20 min. yoga. This is not supposed to be an aerobic tape, but I'm dripping with sweat wwhen done, and out of breath the whole time, 'cause you only get a few seconds between sets. WHEW!

Thanks for checking in, Missydog-- I'll be checking your log soon!

YB
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-01, 19:08

BF:

YogaBuff,

I'm impressed that you sweat when you do your workouts. I never do aerobic exercise in the same breath with weight lifting, so I don't sweat much when I lift. Maybe that means I'm not working hard enough? I do a decent 30-minute cardio workout five days a week, just not anywhere near the same time as my weight lifting. Anyway, sounds like you're doing great!

Missydog
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 09:58

BF:
Progress:

Oh, I don't think it's any more than you do, at ALL, missydog. It's just a 'different strokes' thing. Makes me feel like I've covered all my bases, I guess. I'm just neurotic. Also, I'm just a sweaty person. I've always sweat alot. And being 35 # overweight helps.

Yesterday, 1 hr. of power yoga. Felt the need to stretch. Have been very busy starting Christmas shopping. For food, too. My hubby and I are the oldest in both our families (big families) and we do all the get -togethers at our house, and then there's all those people to buy for--even though we do a drawing. I almost forget to shop for my own kids! Thank God for the internet-- --you can order a lot of the techno- stuff.

Today, plan to get 1/2 hr. cardio in--probably a run. Pooch would like that--he's staring me down right now,

Have any of you guys out there who have increased the duration, type, and intensity of your exercise ahd any insomnia. I've ALWAYS done this-- started sleeping badly when I heavy-up the exercise, but, I thought that lo-carb might counter-act that. I had been sleeping so well on low carb!! Now, it's like the metabolism is in over drive-- wired! I lay there and can't GO to sleep, then sleep lightly, and wake frequently, wake fully at 3 AM and can't go back. GGRRRRrrrrhhhh. It's making me crazy. Between that and sore right shoulder, left hip, and aching feet, I'm about ready to go back to the yoga and walks. OK, enough belly-aching.

YB
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 10:42

BF:

YogaBuff,

Yes, I've had insomnia at times when I increase my workouts. Unlike you, though, I never expected the low-carbing to HELP. I believe (may lightening NOT strike me down) that heavy exercise combined with low-carbing is MORE stressful than exercise when you're carbed up. Why do you think the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet was INVENTED? As the weeks go by, I notice my workouts are definitely easier (both lifting and cardio) after days on which I've carbed up. Now, you can certainly adapt to exercise on a low-carb diet-- I don't want to discourage you. But if your insomnia is threatening to undo you, ease up on the workouts a bit before you get back into them again. If any expert (such as TrainerDan) wants to argue with this, I can respect another point of view--- I'm just telling you my experience.

Missydog
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 10:59

BF:
Progress:

Aaaaaahhhh. OK. I didn't think about the CKD and carbing up. (Schwarzbein already has so many more carbs than Atkins or protein power, that I always feel slightly guilty anyways). Maybe that's the problem. I've come to see lc-ing as such a panacea for eveything (like my previous insomnia) that I guess I just relied on it's sleep- inducing powers to over-ride the 'usual' effects I have from increased exercise. I'll have to re-think this. There are certain conditions , I guess, in which the body needs more carbs.

I'll get a handle on it I guess. It usually passes anyway. Thanks Missydog!!

YB
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 11:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by YogaBuff
Have any of you guys out there who have increased the duration, type, and intensity of your exercise ahd any insomnia. I've ALWAYS done this-- started sleeping badly when I heavy-up the exercise, but, I thought that lo-carb might counter-act that. I had been sleeping so well on low carb!! Now, it's like the metabolism is in over drive-- wired! I lay there and can't GO to sleep, then sleep lightly, and wake frequently, wake fully at 3 AM and can't go back.

Yoga, are you taking any supplements? Calcium / Magnesium should help. I used to be the lightest sleeper around, the day I started the cal/mag my sleep changed; deep and right through the night. It was amazing. I take 4 pills a day (3 with 3 of my meals and one an hour before bed). Mag has a very soothing effect.

Are you eating prior to sleep? When you wake are you hungry? Could you be not getting enough protein?

There is a discussion about sleep patterns changing going on right now on the BFL board; I'll keep my eyes on it to see what kind of replies it garners.

I have a question for you (another, yes); when you were lifting weights seriously what did you bench press on average? I just picked up a barbell and some weights to change my exercises next week and i've got no idea what to start with.... I'm going to try a few reps on Saturday as a test but I'd like to know what I should be shooting for. I can currently press 20lbs (20 lbs in each hand) with dumb bells, but from what I understand when you use a bar bell you can press more?

Thanks for any help. And I'll keep you posted about the sleep issue.

Nat
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 11:55

BF:
Progress:

Nat, yeah, I've been taking mag and cal for yrs. now for PMS and menopause and 'stuff'. Just seems like when the muscles are worked hard and the runnin' commences, well...... The heart starts pumpin' and it doesn't wanna quit at night.

At my 'fittest' I lifted 15# ea. arm for overhead stuff, 25# for stuff like lat. rows, but those are stronger muscles, right? Now, I'm not back up to that. The'guys' in the house have a weight bench and barbell, but I don't use it. I would get a hernia just trying to get their weights off of there. My sons can bench press their own weight, last I checked (like- 220#).
I've always liked dumbbells, they work for me.

I'm 5' 2" and probably can't hope to overhead press more than 20# in ea. arm. Maybe! For leg work, I use ankle weights and do various lifts.

Update-wise, I've been doing basically- weights(mostly) one day, running the next, and pwer yoga next. Repeat all three and take Sunday off.

YB
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 12:00

BF:
Progress:

My sons (big experts, yeah,) say yes, you can lift more with barbells. At least they can.

Guess I'm just not gonna set any records.

YB