Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#466   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 17:47

Plan: Taubes
Stats: 198/140.5/132 Male 156cm
BF:
Progress: 87%

I read Gary Taubes "Why We Get Fat: And What To Do About It". It made sense to me. I started on low carb that evening (I read it in one day) and haven't looked back.

The results were almost instant, so great to get positive feedback and therefore reinforcement! 8 months on and I'm still astounded by how easy it has been (for me, anyway).
Sponsored Links
  #467   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-16, 09:56

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 236/220/185 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 31%

What a fascinating thread! I love reading everyone's input!

I've been overweight my entire life - I remember being sent to first grade with a plain salad for lunch.

Have tried every diet out there; fasting, grapefruit, Weight Watchers... No matter how much I exercised and followed the rules, had minimal, FRUSTRATING results.

In my mid 50's discovered I have thyroid issues, and just diagnosed with pre-diabetes.

Recently saw a friend who'd lost 58 lbs and looks wonderful!! How? Atkins! Next day, I bought a book and started.

I'm thrilled to say, I'm losing weight!!

Just read Taubes book; "Why We Get Fat" - holy cow! What an epiphany! Suddenly, everything makes sense!!

To quote Scarlet O'Hara: " As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again."
OR allow myself to fall back to my old WOE!
  #468   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-16, 12:21

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

A woman at work was visibly shrinking quickly, so I asked her about it. She said she and her husband were doing Atkins and it was easy, because she wasn't hungry. I asked about its safety and she said her husband's doctor told him its was alright to do occasionally (after all my reading, I think it's alright always, but that's another topic).

Excluding pregnancies, I have never been this heavy, but gained weight over the past three or four years. I have tried to lose weight a few times during this time and failed, because I was too hungry on the low fat, low calorie diets I have always used. I am sick of being uncomfortable in my tight clothes and refuse to buy bigger sizes.

The other trigger is a few fasting blood tests during this time that have put me in the prediabetic range. T2 diabetes runs in my family and I definitely don't want it!

I bought "Dr Atkins' New Diet Revolution" and started the program right away. A month later, I have lost nine pounds and it's so much easier than I ever imagined. Also, my fasting blood sugar is now normal!

Last edited by Ccat69 : Sat, Jul-23-16 at 12:22. Reason: Fix typo
  #469   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-16, 15:22

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 251/203/182 Female 5ft 6.5inch
BF:
Progress:

My story starts in January this year when I together with others on a forum started a private facebook page to support each other with whatever diet programme we were following. I was 'eating less' as per Gillian Riley's excellent book but in March I faltered and began eating too much carbs (particularly the sugary kind) and felt frustrated because yet again I was a failure and beginning to regain the weight I had lost. However, at that time I read an article written by Gillian where she recommended a couple of books she rates highly. One was Gary Taubes "Why we get Fat". I bought it on my kindle. Wow! It all made sense to me.

In the past I had read about Low Carbing but didn't pursue it because I didn't want to limit carbs. This time however, with a reasonable weight loss already since March that was in danger of being ruined by eating too much again, I was finally ready to commit.

I was scared, I wondered how on earth I would cope in the face of carbs being everywhere; in the home, at work, supermarkets, TV adverts, magazine adverts, internet adverts, cookery programmes (I love). I would feel deprived, miserable, hungry...

As it happened, I didn't feel any of that at all. I mainly felt (and still feel) relief, total relief that at last I have come home. At last I am comfortable eating at home, eating out at friends, in restaurants, on holiday. I love LCHF eating! Yummy proteins cooked with yummy butter, my own home made mayo to make yummy coleslaw, crisp green veg roasted with olive oils. What's not to like. And bacon, Mmmmm, bacon. Every day.

I eat much less now. Never breakfast. Sometimes lunch, always dinner. No snacks. Lots of sparkling water. Lots of herbal teas, occasional tea with milk. Occasional coffee with double cream.

I miss the emotional attachment I had to the sugary carbs for sure. But I don't miss the terrible misery I got after gorgeing on them, and the discomfort I felt; bloated, breathless, weak.

I recently came back from a cruise and Low Carbed throughout, with no difficulty whatsoever. A miracle. Also, its the summer holidays here and I am off work for 7 weeks. This usually heralds overeating and over drinking (alcohol). Not this time.

Finally, I have been reading about type 2 diabetes, but also crucially about type 3 diabetes; Alzheimers. I have had a great fear of this disease since I watched my dear grandad suffer from it for three years. It was devastating for him, but also for me and my family. I fear it is my future but until researching LCHF never made the connection between reducing my chances of getting it and diet. For that reason alone (let alone reducing my body fat%, so far from 50% to 40%) I will continue this way of eating (WOE). I am here to stay.
  #470   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-16, 18:00

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiltm
What a fascinating thread! I love reading everyone's input!

I've been overweight my entire life - I remember being sent to first grade with a plain salad for lunch.
That is horrible!

Quote:
Have tried every diet out there; fasting, grapefruit, Weight Watchers... No matter how much I exercised and followed the rules, had minimal, FRUSTRATING results.
Been there don that--and it made me miserable and felt like a failure.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you will stick around.
  #471   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-16, 06:18

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Like others, I had a Lightening Bolt moment after reading Gary Taubes, for me, it was the Cancer and Dementia chapter in Good Calories, Bad Calories.
More on a great Kick-Start technique in this thread: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=468195
  #472   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-16, 07:19

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I'm not sure I had a light bulb type moment but I do know that all of a sudden everything seemed to click. I was becoming diabetic like other members of my family. I was fat and sick and I needed to do something about it. What I knew was that diabetics shouldn't be eating high carb foods so I dropped the sugar and bread and ice cream and the like. I figured why go to a doctor when I knew what I needed to do. Then I read the book "Neanderthin" by Ray Audette, one of the earlier paleo books. It made sense, eat real food only. Audette had reversed many so called chronic diseases using this approach and I figured I would try it. Surely real food was better for me then junk food. That was the start of this journey for me.

Jean
  #473   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-17, 06:53

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 205/205/165 Female 5 11
BF:
Progress:

This is probably a good place for me to start off on this forum. I started again on my weight loss journey when I went to see family recently and every single person commented on how fat I had become.

These are people who have seen me through all my highs and lows but thy would just blurt out in surprise how fat I had become. That made it become crystal to me that I needed to get healthy and lean very fast.

I also knew I had become quite unhealthy. I was sleeping all the time and not getting rested.I would wake up with leg cramps. I would wake up sometimes with a congested chest.

This is week 2 and I am glad I have started off on Atkins. I hope this is the attempt that keeps me for a lifetime on the right path.
  #474   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-17, 09:00

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

My start on this journey had nothing to do with health. I was invited to go paragliding, and when I looked up the weight limits, I found out I was too fat. I looked online for a crash diet that would allow me to lose 27 pounds in seven weeks, and found low-carb. I didn't believe it would work, but I tried, and indeed in seven weeks I had lost precisely 27 pounds After that, I started doing research and discovered the health benefits of this. I became completely committed. My partner had a stroke several months later, and was diagnosed as diabetic. He too went on it, and now he has lost about 80 pounds, and I've lost about 70 pounds. We are committed for life. Just because I wanted to go paragliding.
  #475   ^
Old Sat, Mar-04-17, 11:32

Plan: <20/day
Stats: 394/265.8/220 Male 6 ft 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

for me was when i moved to a different state and had to get my license redone. and when i got my new license i saw the picture i had taken and i couldnt believe how much weight i had put on in my face. that was what started it off for me.
  #476   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-17, 16:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/146/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I found I no longer fit comfortably in size large clothes and didn't want to go up to XL. I was a slim lady until my divorce when I gained almost 50 pounds. I'm older now and still want to get back to the weight I was. I know this is possible because so many people on this site have done it and my Mom lost 80 pounds in her 70's. I've lost 32 pounds so far and am looking forward to losing the last 15
  #477   ^
Old Fri, Mar-24-17, 11:56

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Being told two things. 1: I was incredibly high risk for knee replacement surgery. 2: I could control the pain (which was severely impacting my life) by simply losing weight. At the time, I was 368 (last that I knew, suspect more), using a cane, on a short-term pain med for over 3 years (couldn't get off it), hubby was doing everything for me/us except I was still doing dishes, laundry and still running my online business...somehow.

I wasn't hiking, I wasn't doing my photography, I felt like I was going to die with all too frequent nighttime reflux incidents. It was horrid.
  #478   ^
Old Fri, Apr-07-17, 06:40
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

This is a great thread so I wanna "bump" it back onto list!

A little history:

I've battled with “Fat Jo” for 35 years before I finally got “IT” right!

Yeah, I’ve always been the “fat girl” ~ started around puberty like a lot of us and I didn't start a "diet" until I was 18 yo and tipping the scales at 240 lbs or so.

I lost my first 110 lbs in 8 months following A '72 Induction but I never read past the Induction chapter. So I spent most of my adult life playing at A '72...so many wasted years... pfffffffffft!

Imma not really sure there was a "kick-start" event; but something clicked for me on 5 July 2013 ~ my Independence Day from "Fat Jo" and those toxic carbs!

I know I was sick and tired of playing that yo-yoing d.i.e.t game.... eat 100% OP 4-5 days then go off plan 2-3 days...then BACK on the wagon again... I maintained around 250-265 lbs for years that way!

I also remember thinking "yeah, Imma textbook healthy now but getting older and being morbidly obese was not a good combination!"

I wanted to go kickin' and screamin' into my 60s, 70s, 80s and beyond being a normal size and the best HEALTH possible.

I finally acknowledge that I had a carb metabolic processing disorder and if I was gonna lose weight and keep it off, I had to do A '72 by.the.book without cheating ever!

I haven't looked back since!

That's my story and Imma stickin' to it!
  #479   ^
Old Fri, Apr-07-17, 07:31

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

to Just Jo
  #480   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-17, 13:23
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciakr
to Just Jo
Thanks, patricakr!

It really is a battle every.single.day to stay 100% OP... b/c I haven't lost my food related issues, I've learned how to handle them. And I carbs but they DON'T love me back...