Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#436   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-09, 01:25

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 500/408/300 Male 73 inches
BF:toodamnmuch
Progress: 46%

For myself I had just gotten tired of living in a 4 walled prison,at 475 the smallest things are a hardship,Im so tired all the time,no energy ,even just to get up and walk to the fridge for some ice is a pita...Im dependant on my son to take me shopping and the only places i can go is where they have an electric cart and he has to load and unload the bags...and with my CHF and edema the weight just makes it worse....I can only sleep on my right side because on my back I cant breathe with the fat pushing on my diaphragm.and Ive been divorced since 2002 and Im lonely for companionship but I cant function in a relationship atm,its not fair to the other person,I had a younger lady Ive known from playing WoW,and we've talked on Ventrilo,(its a VOIP program)and she thinks I'm the cat's meow and she mentioned maybe coming to visit me when she moves to Dallas...AND I HAD TO LIE TO HER!!!i HAD TO MAKE AN EXCUSE FOR HER TO NOT COME...because I am too embarrassed for her to see me and I guess thats when I hit my wall and decided to stop making excuses and start taking action.
Sponsored Links
  #437   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-10, 06:57
Registered Member

Plan: atkins w/ low cal as able
Stats: 220/175/150 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 64%

Cellulite on my arms man... come on.
Turning 30 and still being fat. My mood was crappy. I felt completely unattractive when I was vacationing.
  #438   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-10, 11:47

Plan: Atkins + Vegetarian
Stats: 167/154.6/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:
Progress: 26%

My kickstart came as a result of a lot of "little things" coming together.

1. Seeing pictures of myself and feeling disappointed.
2. Being embarrassed that I wear the largest sizes at the stores I like, and how many lovely clothes simply don't fit on my body because of my hips/belly.
3. Picking up a pair of pants that look like an appropriate size for my height, and seeing they are 4 sizes too small for me. Picking up my own pants and recognizing how wide they are.
4. Weighing more than my husband who is 7 inches taller.
5. Being told by my doc that I'm on my way to getting diabetes.
6. Frumpy bathing suits!!!
7. Feeling self concious in the bedroom.
8. Being the winded and tired tag-along during group hiking trips.
9. *Finally* recognizing after years that my whole "eat sensibly and I'll be fine" motto wasn't working.
10. Remembering that I felt overweight and unhappy 20 pounds ago, and wondering how I let it continue.

This has all been building for a while. One day it just became too much to bear, and I found the resolve to do the hard work of change.
  #439   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-10, 14:14
Registered Member

BF:

Smurfy! Everything that you said too!
  #440   ^
Old Sun, Aug-29-10, 12:31

Plan: right now atkins
Stats: 175/165.4/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 21%

What she said (JustSmurfy)! Numbers 1-5 particularly. Weighing more than my husband really used to bum me out. Luckily for me, he never noticed. That's true love.

A long time ago (when I wasn't even that overweight, just a little poochy belly) I was on line at a See's Candy store. I was wearing leggings and a long t-shirt. Somehow I dropped something, I don't know what, and this nice lady said "Oh, let me get that for you. You shouldn't bend over in your condition." And I'm like "Great, I look pregnant!" Found it funny at the time. But there is nothing more embarrassing or less funny then people thinking you're pregnant when you're not.

Last edited by flipleis : Sun, Aug-29-10 at 12:37.
  #441   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-10, 21:15
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 176/176/145 Female 5,9
BF:
Progress: 0%

I was at the bottom of the front line in the supermarket and the cashier said almost shouting in fron of the rest of the people in the line: "you should let her go first, cause she is pregnant"

Of course i went and pay and act like if that was true, i was to ashamed to confess that i wasnt pregntant
  #442   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-10, 08:43

Plan: >60 carbs, 1500 cals
Stats: 175/159/135 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

"You're too fat for breast reduction surgery. We don't care that you eat plenty of fruits and vegetables and work out like a triathlete. We don't care that you already lost 40 pounds and we really don't care that doing so just made it harder for you to find bras in your new size. Nor do we care that you're going broke buying bras in your size. And we don't care one little bit that your shoulders and neck hurt every minute of every day. Come back when you lose 40 pounds and then we'll talk about covering breast reduction surgery. We don't care if your fit, thin or healthy at 135, you just have to be 135 pounds. That's the rule."

-My health insurance provider

(I'm paraphrasing, of course.)
  #443   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-11, 00:02

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

I noticed ~20 stretchmarks on each inner thigh and 5 on each hip.

Pants that fit 5 years ago don't anymore.

My boyfriend and I were in Hawaii on the beach and he looked at me... then he said "man, we both really need to take some weight off." After that, I really wanted to put my clothes back on and cover myself up.

So that's why I decided to lose weight.
  #444   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-11, 01:05

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramsay
When an ex told me - "you're fat and no one will ever love you."

I thought, I may be fat - but you're rude and hurtful. At least I can change my problem.

That ex saw me 9 months later. 90lbs lighter. Best part: that 90lbs found my ex :-)

Oooh EPIC BURN!!!

Love it.
  #445   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-11, 13:03
Registered Member

Plan: Keto (Sort of)
Stats: 425/319/250 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 61%

Great thread.

I've had oh so many of these over the years. None of them have been really public or super embarrassing, but the comments from friends and family are the ones that I've really bitterly held on to over the years. And I hate it, because I love to joke around and embrace humor, and they don't realize that their occasional joke or comment about my weight is hurtful to me, they just think we're kidding back and forth.

In fact, it's ironic. Another friend of mine who's always been similar to my size and I were talking the other day about how you can really like a friend or family member for years, and then they make one joke or comment about your weight and your perception of them does a complete 180. It's really not fair to them.

One time I was at the gas station for one of my all too typical 1am junk food runs, and there was some dude (no doubt drunk) and his friend standing behind me. I overheard him say under his breathe "yea, ill take the whole f$%%#ng rack", I assume referring to the amount of stuff I was purchasing.

Well, this made me furious. I was ready to turn around and confront him on his comment, and fully commit to whatever proceeding interaction resulted from that confrontation. I wisely decided to just act as if I hadn't heard him, partially because I wasn't 100% sure of his comment and its meaning, but that entire night I was just festering about this. And ironically, I ate more junk because of it, not less.

After thinking about it, I realized that it wasn't that dude I was mad at, it was me. Sure, he was a dick for saying something. But I was probably purchasing a 12 pack of coke, a full size bag of doritos, a snickers, and a chicken salad sandwich at 1 in the morning.

It seems like it's so easy to invest such emotion and anger towards these people who make comments or jokes, because the person we're really mad it is ourself and it's a lot harder to express that kind of anger inwards.

Another classic - I was out with some friends at a local bar after one of the poker games we have every couple of months. I bump into this distant relative that I barely know -who is, of course drunk- and she says "ugh, what are you doing to yourself?" I am of course mortified and play it off as a joke, but she persists..."do you exercise!?" I continue to joke it off and finally just walk away from her, steaming of course. Again, she's not really wrong, but goes about it in the most tactless ways possible.

I think the hardest part of trying to lose weight, is forgiving ourselves. I'd imagine at some point I'll have to learn to forgive some of the people who've hurt my feelings about my weight over the years. But the relative from the bar, I think she'll be last on my list

But there's no doubt, some of these incidents sure do hurt and can stay with you for years.
  #446   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-11, 13:19

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

My posts keep getting deleted in this thread
  #447   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-11, 17:38
Registered Member

BF:

Keep up the good work Burk! Its the worst when friends or family make comments.
I've noticed that now I realize my weight problem is a carb issue I take things much less personally and for the first time ever able to talk casually and objectively about my weight issues.
I used to just tear up at the drop of a hat, when anything around it would come up.
  #448   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-11, 13:57
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 174/156/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 41%

My husband is HOT. I'm NOT. I'm changing that.
  #449   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-11, 14:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148.8/142.2/128 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

The buttons popped off on a blouse I was putting on for work! I weighed myself for the first time in 9 months and saw that I weighed 20 pounds more than a year ago and the most I ever weighed without being pregnant. Hello Atkins.
  #450   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-11, 01:55

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

It wasn't my kick-start, just happened in fact, while I'm still losing, but here goes;

I'm a church chorister, and I got to church so late last sunday, the rest of the choir were all changed and about to start the procession. One of the sopranos, who just has no tact whatsoever, informed me that one of the other altos had taken my cassock, since hers had been loaned elsewhere and we (both me and that alto in question) had been losing weight anyway, so mine now fit her and was too big on me. So I had no cassock to wear. So this soprano did that loud "whisper"-thing and said, "Just take one of the largest ones downstairs!". I go, sure, yeah, whatever, she repeats herself, "One of the largest you can find!"

I fumed, but got downstairs, found a good fit (And no, it wasn't anywhere near the largest one!), and joined the others for the rest of the service.

After the service I tried on a few more cassocks to see whether I could fit into one of the smaller ones yet, and actually found one that was more or less within reach! I was thrilled and went to the nearest mirror to check the fit. Who should I run into but our tact-challenged soprano. "Gee, if you lose a single kilo, that'll fit!" in this impressed voice.

That's when I went ballistic.

The funny thing is, there's not a mean bone in her body, she just simply does. not. get. it. We did clear the air, and are friends once more.