Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#421   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 06:49
Got MEAT!?!?!?!

Plan: whatever works =)
Stats: 316.8/191.1/180 Female 5.7
BF:too much
Progress: 92%

My breaking point was my mom finding out she was diabetic. My aunt is diabetic and my father was also. So when my mom found out she was I decided it was time for me to take some action so I am not facing this down the road. With me doing all this her and my step-father have been losing weight also. We were playing in the pool the other day talking about it and I said we were the Amazing Shrinking Family...hehe
Sponsored Links
  #422   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 12:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 380/372.3/200 Male 73.00
BF:
Progress: 4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleave
I was at Six Flags last summer with my family. I stood in line for over an hour to ride the Superman coaster with my cousin, while the wives and kids (kids are still too young for coasters) were at the water park. When I got on the ride the safety bar would not close down. Instead of just letting me walk away before it got bad, two other workers came over and pushed on the bar while the other manually ratcheted me into the seat while hundreds of people looked on. Somehow after several grueling minutes they got me in there and they started the ride. I love coasters but I was scared to death. I really didn't think they had me locked in. It was the most embarrassing moment of my life.

Missed this one when i read through the first time... Dude im there with ya, took 2 Park Employees just to get one click on the shoulder harness for the Corkscrew at Cedar Point in Ohio, I Thought for sure I was going to be a very large puddle on the groud. Not to mention some little bastard demon child giggling in the seat behind me.
  #423   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-08, 18:09

Stats: 335/272/180 Male 6 ft 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Mine was a one-two punch.
Of course, I have always wished that my weight would magically disappear. I made vague motions in the general direction of dieting/counting calories/not eating after 6pm, but none of it lasted more than a week.
The first punch was that I had to go to a job interview. So I needed to find a nice shirt and tie and pants. I've been a college student for the past 3 years, so I really haven't had any need for anything but jeans and a t-shirt.
I tried on pants and none of them fit me right. I hated I had to look for the largest size and then it looked incredibly baggy on me, though I struggled to button it. Then the shirt was ridiculous, and I had to tuck it in and it was blue. I looked similar to a blueberry on a stick. I hate shopping for clothes.

Then I was at the doctors office, which I haven't done in a while. They took me to the scale and I weighed. I saw my weight that day and said, THAT IS IT! I left the docs office and went immediately to the store and bought (the wrong) hamburger patties and pork rinds.

In regards to theme parks. I totally know the feeling. Having them shoehorn you into the seat and then being terrified that they didn't latch it all the way. Soon I will go to Disneyland again and not have to worry about any of that...I can't wait.
  #424   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-08, 22:55

Stats: 255/241/170 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I was part of my office's 5 person paddling team for an outrigger canoe regatta. I loved paddling and had done it in college so I was super excited. At the practice meet, my hips were too wide to fit in the racing canoe. As we were hassling with trying to get me in the canoe, various other teams and officials were watching and someone called down to the steersman to see what the problem was. He called back across the beach "Her hips stay too big for the canoe!". Utter humiliation. I had to watch from the beach as my team paddled away without me.

At the actual race it was excruciating having my hips crammed into the hull but I did it. And then I decided I was going to get serious about getting the weight off.
  #425   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-08, 12:36

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 319/312/250 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfreeman
Missed this one when i read through the first time... Dude im there with ya, took 2 Park Employees just to get one click on the shoulder harness for the Corkscrew at Cedar Point in Ohio, I Thought for sure I was going to be a very large puddle on the groud. Not to mention some little bastard demon child giggling in the seat behind me.

That park sucks!! I went on one of the roller coasters there.. wedged myself into the seat, got the bar down, but the seat belt wasn't long enough.. a line of people watching.. i sucked in my gut as the ride attendant yanked and pulled on it.. I finally said screw it and got of... It was underly humiliating.. I some how got the nerve to try another ride, and ALMOST didn't fit in it.. I had to have my arm around the guy next to me to fit.... UUHH how horrible..
  #426   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 19:26
at peace with myself

Plan: Healthy choices
Stats: 201/191.6/144 Female 5 ft 8n
BF:
Progress: 16%

I am back after a long time...I mostly lurk.

I thought I was in bad shape at 170 and then 176. I peaked at 194 this summer post baby. I lost the weight then put it back on (minus the actual baby)

My kickstart: I live in south Texas and walking around in the heat and sweating has started to give me these welts on my inner thigh from the elastic on my panties rubbing)

It is very painful and humiliating in my own mind....no one else knows that it is happening to me....except now everyone reading this
  #427   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-08, 12:19

Plan: Figuring it out
Stats: 366/282.2/166 Female 5'6"
BF:YEP/YEP/YEP
Progress: 42%

Let's see...the culmination of multiple events that occurred in a short period of time---Having to watch my daughter go on rides at the Boardwalk all by herself because I'm too big to fit and don't even want to TRY to fit because of the fear I won't and the humiliation that will cause both myself and my daughter. And she wanted me to ride with her so badly. In a year or two she will rather be with her friends then her mom--and I'm MISSING IT.

Sitting on an old, rusting lawn chair at a HUGE get together and it breaking in pieces. And then just this Saturday...someone who I haven't seen in a little while giving me a hug and then touching my stomach and asking when I'm due???!!!...YIKES.

Then looking into the mirror and realizing that I've checked out. And not wanting that to be true anymore. Realizing I don't want to settle anymore and how exciting it will be to discover the real me again...and to really live life...the life I want and deserve and CAN have.
  #428   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-08, 04:58

Stats: 202/197/164 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress:

I'm new. Most of these links are 5 years old! The best is Judi's. Can't get more honest--or heart-breaking--than that. hope you have succeeded and are continuing to succeed.

Mine was about 3 weeks ago. I was at the doctors and weighed 201. I was so so so so so sick last summer that I couldn't even work out. I was so tired all the time and I gained 35 pounds in 4 months. NO KIDDING. After seeing MANY doctors and having MANY tests (Lupus, Lyme disease, cardiologist, etc.) I was finally diagnosed with PCOS. The trigger was that they had taken me off my loestrin. BIG MISTAKE.

Well, the good news is I'm back on it, and now I have to lose the 35 pounds.

Square One.
  #429   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-08, 05:11

Stats: 202/197/164 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress:

Oh. sorry--I don't know where the current entries came from--there are a LOT of new ones since the ones which brought me here (from 2003!) Guess I need to learn about forums.

My caring thoughts to everybody who is trying and doing it.
  #430   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 19:32

Plan: No processed foods
Stats: 247.6/232.8/150 Female 5'5"
BF:yes
Progress: 15%

I'm not sure how you're linking to all the old threads, but this forum has TONS of new entries every day. You can try going to the main page of the forum at http://forum.lowcarber.org/ and you can browse the different forum categories from there. There is general low carb, Atkins, Protein Power, Recipes, and many more to choose from.

Good luck!
  #431   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-08, 21:14
Registered Member

Plan: atkins (ish)
Stats: 169/139.9/129.9 Female 5'4
BF:?/suddenly lots/21
Progress: 74%
Default my trip to wallyworld

about 4 or 5 years ago I went to walmart and tried on some jeans... I was on my way to a blind date and wanted to look good. I found something trendy, tried it on and it looked just awful. Then came the remark from the sales lady who was standing behind me...they dont make in style clothes for people like us! She was huge!

I will never forget her...funny thing is, she doesnt even know the effect she had on my life. Wish I could find her now to motivate me into this new found 15 lbs!!! lol
  #432   ^
Old Fri, Sep-04-09, 09:56
Registered Member

Stats: 273/244/210 Male 6'3.5"
BF:
Progress: 46%

my breaking piont was pictures of me at last Christmas and the fact that my belly was getting so big, I couldn't bend over to tie my shoes without suffocating myself. I had to start lifiting my leg and cross it over my opposite knee and tie my laces sideways...that's when I knew I had to stop being a pig
  #433   ^
Old Sat, Sep-05-09, 03:45

Plan: My own.
Stats: 308/165/140 Male 175cm / 5"9
BF:
Progress: 85%

Aged 19 I got called in for the military, we had to stand shirtless on a row. the other potential recruits stared at me like I just landed from outer space whispered remarks how extremely fat I was. Then it was weight in time. I knew i was overweight, but weighted in at 300 pounds and got quite shocked. I never wanted to get in the military, but after getting ditched due to a BMI of 45, I actually wanted to get fit and voulenteer once i lost the weight.

BMI of 24.5 now two years later, 165 pounds. When I'm down to 140ish I'll start focusing on putting on some heavy muscle mass. Already lifting but adding muscles in a caloric decifit is.. well.. not really happening after the initial beginner gains starts to fade.

i'll have to track up the other recruits calling me "whale" "fatass" "lazy slob" "Burger King" to shake their hand. they made my life so much better.

I also have to take a long talk with my nephew and brother at some point to thank them. They are both dieticians for the military and know their shit. They have both been really supportive and are nothing but amazed and proud of my progress, our parents ain't really supportive at all. They are both preachers of the "inner beauty is what counts" "You are fine" "Learn to accept yourself as you are" crowd and are quite worried and repulsed by the fact i'm into bodybuilding now.

Last edited by Matador : Sat, Sep-05-09 at 03:53.
  #434   ^
Old Mon, Nov-30-09, 18:24
Registered Member

Stats: 310/292/150 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 11%

I really can't believe that I am about to admit this, but...

I had my son in early November. Well, I already knew I was fat because at my last prenatal check up before my c section I weighed in at 309. When the lady came to get me upon discharge from the hospital they brought a standard wheelchair for me so that I could be pushed down to the traffic circle where my husband was waiting. I get in the wheelchair and the lady starts to push it, and my butt has gotten so wide that the tires were rubbing the sides of my butt and thighs. I needed a " big person " wheel chair. I cried right there in the hospital hallway. So of course when I got home I began looking at the pics of me and my newborn that my husband took of me at the hospital, and there I am....all 309 lbs. of me...fat face n all...I wanted to scream/cry/puke/curse/etc. So here I am...ready to get this weight off, and start my new way of eating.
  #435   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-09, 08:15
Registered Member

Stats: 148/142.6/130 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%

Mine was:

After many go-rounds with trying to stick to lowfat/low cal/Weight Watchers style diets, I kept failing.

I was doing Atkins successfully a little over a year ago and looked and felt fantastic! (133 pounds, I recall) Then I fell off the wagon, tried eating "healthier" (fruits, whole wheat, low fat dairy) and went to the doctor and weighed in at 152!

The doctor actually prescribed me phentermine and diuretics! (He is a quack) I took the phentermine and water pills and ate only 1000 calories of low fat food everyday for over 2 weeks. I lost 4 lbs. I felt like a speed freak. I looked terrible, and I almost passed out twice!

Now on Atkins:
No pills! I just eat real, delicious fatty foods all the time. After less than a week I'm doen 5lbs. I also don't think it is just water weight, because I didn't even lose tha much on prescription diuretics! My face already looks less bloated too!

I love our WOE!