Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#361   ^
Old Sat, Jun-16-07, 23:30
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 280/201/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I'm having occasional problems with my knee, so I decided taking some weight off would have to be beneficial. Ya THINK??!!
Sponsored Links
  #362   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-07, 01:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 455/224/200 Male 6-3
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
I sat down next to a gentleman on July 3, 2003, that I had known for quite some time, but had not seen in about a year. You see, as a professional musician, often we go for long stretches without seeing some of our collegues between gigs.

He said hello, and I returned the hello (he seemed to know me, so I played along and pretended to know him - though I had no idea who it was!)

So I leaned over to a saxophone player, and whispered "Hey, Brian - who's that dude sitting next to me?"

"Oh, that's Mike - he lost a bunch of weight..."

I was floored. I knew Mike for years, played dozens of jobs with him, yet I wouldn't have recognized him without asking someone else who it was!

So, after the job, Mike and I went over to a bar down the street, sat down, and he told me his Atkin's success story of losing 100+ pounds in so many months, etc.

I went home that night, packed up all my breads, my chips, my rice, my processed carb-laden pantry of crap and gave it away to my neighbors. "I'll give Atkins a try for a while - see what happens."

That is the beginning of my Atkin's story - you can read more in my journal:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...98&page=1&pp=15
  #363   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-07, 14:55

Stats: 250/248/160 Female 5'4
BF:BigBallaFat
Progress: 2%
Default This was my response in August of 03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggiebro
My friend Tina came to town three weeks after she had started the Atkin's diet, 18lbs slimmer and looking so SUPER. I could tell immediatly and after she told me about how she lost the weight, I started the WOE the next day! I had toyed with the idea before, even thumbing through the pages of the book, but nothing spurred me into action like looking at my friend and hearing her story. You see all these pictures of success stories, but they don't really hit home until it is someone you personally know who has had success.

I lost 48 lbs on Atkins in 2003. Then I had a baby left this WOL and gained up to 245. Now I'm back for good, after several failed attempts in the last three years to get back. The kick start event this time was a picture. I went to my cousin's graduation and took a picture with her. I had so many chins, it was hard to count them all.
  #364   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-07, 04:29
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 150/120/100 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 60%

Can never forget the several kick-start events I've had over the years. (1.) Broke a lawn chair once at a cousin's house - how embarassing. (2.) Had to call in advance & request a seat belt extension for an air flight - I knew the regular one would not meet in the middle. It was embarassing to have the stewardess hand me the extension in front of others. (3.) Like many overweight women, years ago I was asked when was the baby due and I wasn't pregnant, just overweight. (4.) Rarely allowed my photo to be taken during the bad years when I was over 300. Have one photo in particular that's my before picture of me at a size 34, talking to some friends. I looked huge and it was a shock to see how big I'd gotten eating all the wrong things. (5.) At a friend's house once, I sat down and got right back up because the chair creaked so badly and felt wobbly, as if it might break. (6.) Had a pair of slacks that split the rear-end seam once, to my embarassment. Luckily it was cold weather & I had a long coat with me. All these "kick-start" memories remind me to stick with the LC way of eating and that I can't go back unless I want to face the embarassment of breaking chairs, etc. And I'm so ready to get closer to goal and be more healthy. And wear a size 12 pair of blue jeans!
  #365   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-07, 08:23
Registered Member

Stats: 305/198/195 Male 5'10"
BF:a billion
Progress: 97%

Mine was the click of the metal slider on the scale at the doctors office. When the nurse move it from 250 to 300 and said "Wow, you've gained some weight." The humility and anger was so overwhelming.
  #366   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-07, 20:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 335/245/200 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Mine was when I was really huffing and puffing just walking a couple of blocks with my son, and when he wanted to go on some of the bigger rides at the fair and he couldn't cause I couldn't fit in the seats. How embarrasing for him and for me. I vowed then that he would not be ashamed of me because of my weight and that we would be able to do stuff together!
  #367   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-07, 08:01
Registered Member

BF:

kevsmama, CONGRATULATIONS on the loss of 109 pounds! That is a major accomplishment to celebrate. Glad your wt loss to date has made such a difference in being able to do things with your son. KUTGW!

It will be a red letter day for me when I get into the 220's as you have done. For me reaching 222 will mean I've lost 100 pounds. Sometimes that seems like an impossible amount. But I believe now, that it will happen if I'm patient and persistent.

It helps having the feedback and information and encouragement one gets from reading so many messages from the great folks who post on this site. When I reach that 100 pound mark, from there I will just need to keep working to get my weight going further downward. Focus on the eventual goal and hang in there for the duration, huh!

Last edited by Linda85 : Wed, Sep-05-07 at 08:13. Reason: typo
  #368   ^
Old Fri, Sep-07-07, 08:43
Registered Member

BF:
Lightbulb

My DH & I are both hoping to be a lot skinnier by Christmas for the family holiday gatherings. We aren't telling any relatives, at this point, that we have changed our woe to LC. Besides being healthier, this Christmas, we'd like to be "looking good" INSTEAD of looking fatter than ever.
  #369   ^
Old Fri, Sep-07-07, 08:47

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

oh... and how about when your butt gets stuck in one of those cheap plastic garden chairs...

ya, that was a sign.
  #370   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-07, 15:57
Registered Member

Plan: Moderate Carbs~
Stats: 183/180/150 Female 5'5
BF:Yup, it is
Progress: 9%

Depression so bad that I don't know what else to do, I've thought of trying to get meds for it. Not sure what would be better to start first.
  #371   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-07, 14:15
Registered Member

BF:

O2BeLean, Tried to send this to you in a PM but unable to do so. Sorry to hear of your depression. Don't give up.

Blood tests might see if you are low in anything causing your depression. Low thyroid, hormones, low magnesium, low vits., or low trace minerals can all be possible causes. Some folks are allergic to food additives which affects them this way.

A good multi-vitamin like Centrum can sometimes help. Have a good discussion w/your doctor about your concerns over a trial of mild antidepressants if that's the way he wants to go.

For me, being depressed (crying & being upset easily) turned out to be from a chemical imbalance due to a very low Vitamin B-6 level apparently caused by stress. Got B-Complex 50, taking one in morning & one at dinner, from Wal-Mart. Couldn't just take a bottle of B-6.

Had to take it in the balanced B-Vitamin Complex formula as that way has the most beneficial effect. Like a miracle the evening of the SAME DAY, I was better. Hope you're able to find what will work for you, w/your doctor's help. Good luck.

Last edited by Linda85 : Mon, Sep-10-07 at 14:21.
  #372   ^
Old Sat, Sep-15-07, 08:37
Registered Member

Stats: 200/150/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 77%

I simply got tired of running into old friends who said ..."omigosh, I didn't recognize you".
  #373   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-07, 15:13

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 276/241/199 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 45%

1. I was so close to goal last year and I gained a lot of it back. I see my pictures from a year ago and I want to go back to that!

2. I weigh more than my BF now. =(

3. My boyfriend and I have been talking about marriage a lot lately and I noticed that one of my rings disappeared. All of my rings are size 9, but now I wear a size 10 ring.

I just don't want to be proposed to (eventually) and not have the ring fit! =(
  #374   ^
Old Fri, Sep-21-07, 07:04
Registered Member

Stats: 208/194/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Me too!! mzsunrise, I was so close to goal weight about 18 months ago and then I decided to eat more fruit and grains and bang,,, I was out of control again. I had lost 45 pounds or so and was about 25 from goal. I had even kept the 45 pounds off for a year and needed to get out of a long stall (actually I had gotten lazy about excersize and watching what I ate) so I decided to add carbs back into my diet in a 'healthy' way. Well, what a mistake! I had all the old cravings back and gave into them completely. Now I'm back up to about 208 (a personal best, I might add) and I'm at square one. I'm not giving up on myself,,, I refuse, so here I am again and looking forward to getting back to feeling healthy and fit again,,, with help from all the wonderfull people on these boards. Don't give up!
  #375   ^
Old Fri, Sep-21-07, 08:37

Plan: low carb/IF
Stats: 206/182/168 Female 5feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%

mine was when i saw the pictures of me at my cousins wedding. All this time i'd been kidding myself that yes, even though i'dgained back some of the weight that i had lost on the last low fat/lowcal(:O) diet , it wasnt soo bad coz i cud (just) still squeeze into my size 20's. But those pictures where something else. I started atkins 2 weeks after that wedding and am now a 16 - and i aint lookin bak! ( i threw out anything above a 16 bout a month ago - i aint EVER goin up more than that AGAIN!!!)