Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#286   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-22, 07:46

Plan: real food/no junk
Stats: 188/145/120 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%

So glad I found this thread, thanks to all who have contributed! I'm a type 2 diabetic with Hashimoto's thyroiditis and vulvar VIN III (squamous cell carcinoma in situ).

I'm 74, and have gained about 12 pounds in the last 6 weeks or so without diet change. I've been experimenting with keto for about 3 weeks.

All I've lost is 2 lbs, but my postprandial BGs have dropped from the high 190s to the 120s, which is great, and I'm hoping it is "starving" the cancer/precancer cells.

I started wondering about higher protein, lower fat, recalling the days of Dr. Stillman's Quick Weight Loss Diet. In my research I came across Naiman and Kendall, and am very intrigued, especially about the better weight loss.

The big question is, Will it help stop the cancer from becoming invasive? The research so far is sketchy but I feel it's worth trying.
Sponsored Links
  #287   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-22, 09:07

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome to the semi low-carb forum!I started LC after reading the cancer chapter in Gary Taubes' book, Good Calories, Bad Calories. After cancer treatment in 2006, and four + years of a grain-based "anti-cancer"diet, I had gained 50-60 pounds. Since then I closely follow the cancer and diet research, but don’t make claims it will stop invasive cells nor will work for all types. Though it is hard to go wrong by eating more nutrient-dense foods, while eliminating sugar and processed hyper palatable junk food.

The links and comments after my success story on this forum have more information on how I have changed my diet and lost weight while making it more nutritious. Also do an advanced search for cancer here, you will find other threads that may help. I like Dr Colin Champ's basic guides and videos for eating well to prevent cancer. https://colinchamp.com/the-mediterr...enic-lifestyle/
  #288   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-22, 10:50

Plan: real food/no junk
Stats: 188/145/120 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%

Thanks for the welcome/links/info, much appreciated! I've periodically spent a few years very low vat, nearly vegan. The science, especially described the The China Study was very persuasive, and the low-fat veggie cancer info seemed to be, too. And I do believe it can work for some people.

Apparently, you and I don't seem to be among them. Congratulations on finding what works for you, I hope I'm as successful!
  #289   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-22, 10:57

Crossing fingers that this works (it works for me) … someone posted a thread reader app which cobbles together the 14 part!! Ted's Twitter thread about satiation versus satiety, and how the PE Diet can support both. Plus I would add nutrient density helps, but protein + fiber were a huge first step for me. Lowering fat (e.g. the LC favorites of nuts, cheese, bacon, pork rinds) but keeping enough fats for satiety all explained here in short captions.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/...3185922048.html

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jun-28-22 at 04:00.
  #290   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-22, 07:34

Great new podcast/videocast with Dr Gabrielle Lyons.

What Foods to Eat to Lose Weight and Gain Muscle | Ted Naiman

https://youtu.be/QznjQceNGIE
  #291   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-22, 08:49

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Thanks, Jey.
He says, in that podcast:

Quote:
Every gram of fat that you eat gets stored in your fat cells unless you happen to burn it off with activity.

I've heard him say that before and no one questions him, except the keto-commenters on YouTube who call bullshit on it.

I do find it difficult to reduce fat and am generally trying to reduce fat more than carbs, in terms of a percentage, because it makes sense to me and because it was noticeably significant in past lc efforts. So it helps me to remember this comment.

An update on my progress: As of last week's weight loss club weigh-in on Thurs, I have lost weight for 17 weeks straight, 46 lbs in all. I am almost at my first goal.
  #292   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-22, 09:47

JL
Oh My! You are having awesome results…I never lose weight steadily, more stair-step, or down 2, up 1. I know you said your group resists listening to what you are doing, but at some point, they will understand you are "onto something" for weight loss. 46 pounds!!!

Did you see Dr Naiman's new infographic of Metabolism? I can only understand with Marty's explanation, but he has same view on fat:

Quote:
Carbs are an explosive, volatile fuel source. From what we know about oxidative priority, your body must use carbs up first because it can’t store much of them.

This makes them great for explosive activity. Carbohydrates are stored in your body as glycogen, which is one molecule of glucose and three molecules of water.

At nine calories per gram, fat is the most energy-dense macronutrient. Fat is a much more stable fuel source and great for storage and everyday use. But because the body doesn’t have to produce much insulin or exert much energy to turn fat into usable fuel, it’s easy to store.

Fat is also last in line to be burned for energy per the oxidative hierarchy. So, if you’re drinking and eating a lot of alcohol, carbs, and protein on top of your fat, you’re likely going to store the dietary fat that you don’t use.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/you...d-and-digestion
  #293   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-22, 16:04

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

I don't think my club will ever be interested in this method. They just try to "eat less" and are generally hungry all the time, if they do so.

I have never lost weight so steadily before either, which is why I keep marveling at it. This is also the least painful of any of my efforts. I have to exert some discipline, yes, but I'm not hungry, I'm not craving or wanting to eat more all the time. If I start my day with too much fat and not enough protein, then I want to keep eating too much fat and not enough protein all day long. I'm learning a lot and the most important thing is to do as Dr. Naiman says - prioritize protein, in the day and in the meals. And limit nutrient density, which means limiting fat.

Thanks for the link. Marty Kendall's previous explanation of how we lose weight is something I read periodically as it makes it clear, but doesn't stick in my head.
  #294   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-22, 05:47

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
I don't think my club will ever be interested in this method. They just try to "eat less" and are generally hungry all the time, if they do so.

It's a miserable way to live, but they can't imagine not wanting to eat the way they always have.

I think that's the hardest thing to convince them of, in my experience.
  #295   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-22, 05:39

Plan: LC
Stats: 170/129.8/125 Female 5'1.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

JEY100
Can you tell me how you purchase your snap peas? I seem to be netting about 1/3 of the bag before they spoil, before the expiration date.🤐
  #296   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-22, 09:40

I buy them at Trader Joe's and Walmart, the regular not organic. I found the organic spoiled faster. They are in a bag you can microwave, but I only eat them raw. Once opened, I reseal the bag tightly with elastic band or clip.
  #297   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-22, 13:49

Plan: LC
Stats: 170/129.8/125 Female 5'1.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Thanks, Jey. I buy the same kind and eat them raw as well, love how they add protein and crunch to a salad. I bought a new bag today, crossing my fingers they don't spoil.
  #298   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-22, 07:27

KeyTones had an excellent tweet about satiety per calorie and energy density. She shared Dr Naiman's meme; everyone eats about four pounds of food a day, showing 1 pound each greek yogurt, salmon, 9 eggs and plain baked potato, totaling 1600 calories. Recent photos from a "keto" dinner had pork belly, grilled cheese sandwiches and ice cream. In calories per pound, pork belly 2300, almond flour 2600, cheese 1800, cream 1540, totaling 8240 calories. Thought this graphic is another useful way to explain satiety "Yes it is about calories, but calories are downstream of food selection. WHAT YOU EAT DETERMINES HOW MUCH YOU EAT.” I don’t count calories but do not have to if I eat the 4 pounds of food in the first example, not the "Keto" meal.

And if you like Potatoes…Dr Naiman just posted a Potato Au Gratin casserole with 43% Protein! It is like the Penne Pasta Casserole recipe with yogurt and low fat cheeses. So hot and humid this week I can’t imagine enjoying this now…but come fall I will try it. Let us know if you try it and test BG after.

Not that I need a cheesy potato side dish, but some of his new recipes show what you can have by adding protein. Could also consider the meal as a whole, eat a large serve of protein, plain potato with it, the BG response was low for me. Same with beans in a meaty chili.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jul-19-22 at 02:58.
  #299   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-22, 09:57

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
"Yes it is about calories, but calories are downstream of food selection. WHAT YOU EAT DETERMINES HOW MUCH YOU EAT.” I don’t count calories but do not have to if I eat the 4 pounds of food in the first example, not the "Keto" meal.

The Protein Leverage Hypothesis by Raubenheimer and Simpson informs the P:E method, and it is a very sound way to understand why those who don't initially eat enough protein eat to excess to get what they need, often substituting far too many calories from carbs and fats. However, that "keto" meal example is one of the most distorted forms of keto I've come across. I understand the need to discourage overeating of fat based on the P:E approach, and it illustrates the shortcomings of poorly designed keto meals. Yet, many have flourished with a way of eating that produces ketones endogenously without overeating fat or carbs or both. A recent (April 2022) video with Rhonda Patrick and Dom D'Agostino addresses various applications and forms of a ketogenic approach very nicely:
https://www.foundmyfitness.com/epis...nic-dagostino-2

In the interests of keeping our minds open, I like to understand the benefits of different and healthy eating approaches and adapt what works for me without diminishing what may work much better for others.
  #300   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-22, 10:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 339.8/272.6/200 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

GRB5111 - Well said.