Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#256   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-22, 10:20

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

That's too bad about your daughter and I wonder if she has a touch of "eating disorder thinking". I've struggled with that - "What's the use, I'll only gain it back anyway, because that's what I've always done, that's just who I am", etc. And it's true that regain is the norm, but who says we have to be the norm? We don't have to choose and reinforce the negative. On any one day, we start all over again and past does not have to be prologue.

There may be some fear there too - afraid to fail, maybe even afraid to succeed. Fear of change in general. It's a big deal to overhaul one's diet and body. Sometimes I can't believe I am attempting it again! But for me, hope springs eternal.
Sponsored Links
  #257   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-22, 12:01

Plan: Dr Ted Naiman + IF
Stats: 320/158/140 Female 5'10" age 56
BF:
Progress: 90%

Ah, she is of the younger generation. They are into "fat acceptance." I'm working on that - if you have health issues that stem from metabolic syndrome, it is not healthy.

The experience of most people is failure and gaining it all back, unfortunately. I once heard (I think it was Dr. Bernstein of the low carb Diabetes Solution books that said it) that if a doctor sees drastic weight loss, the first thought is it must be cancer!
  #258   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-22, 15:19

Some here might be interested in my notes on this podcast with Dr. Naiman and Dr. Shawn Baker MD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNGYo1C8eQk

Quote:
33% of calories as protein may be optimal. The American diet has gone down from 15% to 12.5% protein. 10% is obesogenic.

People on the national health registry who have lost weight and kept it off have all gotten it up to 19-20% protein.

30- 33% possibly 40% protein common in bodybuilders, bikini models, etc.

All the medical literature shows in a linear fashion, the higher the protein in your diet, the fewer calories you eat. Full stop.

His average overweight patient is at 12% of calories as protein. When he eventually gets them up to 30% they're going to go all the way to their ideal body weight and stay there forever.

So, the goal is to hit 30% protein. (An egg is 30% protein by calories.) Fat goal is 20% to 30%. Don't go below 20%.

Eat about 100 gm carbs per day "enough so that you don't have to burn up protein to make the glucose you need to be alive so you're doing a little bit of protein sparring there and that way you're not having to catabolize any lean mass if you didn't just eat enough protein to make glucose that day" .... if you eat absolutely no carbs you're burning up more calories manufacturing that glucose.

Should weigh/eat in equal grams protein - 100 pounds for 5 foot woman and 5 per five pounds, so 5'2", 110 lb woman would want to get 110 grams of protein.

Q:Can someone get too much protein? Maximums are theoretical. Could double amount above and you're fine, could probably triple it and be fine.

A huge amount of protein at one time is eventually absorbed. Absolutely not true that 30 grams at a time is all the body can absorb.

Optimal number of times per day to eat - 2 or even 3 but as you get thinner and thinner you have to eat protein more frequently because you're using some of it for energy. And if you're not eating it, you have to catabolize your muscles.

Q? Can you get fat by eating extra protein? Overfeeding studies where researchers dump extra 1000 calories of protein on an existing diet - lean mass goes up slightly, don't gain fat mass, energy expenditure goes up slightly. Within certain reasonable limits, you're not going to gain fat by eating more protein. The thermic effect of food is so high, that about 30% of calories are just gone so calling protein 4 calories per gram is not fair at all. We should really call it 3 calories per gram or slightly lower depending on the setting.

Studies on diabetics, such as Roy Taylor, where people given meal replacement shakes of 50 gm protein, 125 carbs and virtually no fat - have resulted in half of weight loss in lean mass. Metabolism goes way down.

PSMF is different as it spares lean mass. P:E Diet is different as it's just tiny incremental progressions.

Doesn't believe in short term diets of any sort as you don't learn lifestyle change. The faster you lose it, the easier you gain it back.

Q: What do you tell people who say they are more hungry on a higher protein diet?

In almost every case, people went too high too fast and the total calories are too low - no wonder they feel like they're starving. You can't eat 100% protein or you will be absolutely starving for nonprotein energy sources. And if you don't eat enough calories, you're going to be starving. The goal is a slight progression. Aim for 3-500 calories lower. You do that by incrementally nudging up the protein and incrementally dragging back the carbs and fat.

Substitute any amount of protein for carbs or fat and it's an instant win. (Even an isocaloric substitution is going to be brilliant.)

Q on relative value of lean mass.

Lean mass does a bunch of stuff for you. The more muscle you have, the more you can do, the more life you can live. Lean mass studies correlate with longevity. Muscle is a buffer if you get sick and can't eat for some reason. Muscle makes you more metabolically flexible.

Everyone's goal, whether they know it or not, is to get more muscle and less fat at the same time and that's how you become as insulin sensitive as possible.

Everybody has a genetic ceiling for how fat they could be, for how thin they could be, for how muscular they could be. (Body type: ectomorphic, mesomorphic, endomorphic)

Inside of that genetic limitation you can absolutely max out, you can be the best version of your self that you can be. And really the ingredients to that is protein and lifting. And it's basically making sure you eat at least a gram per pound of ideal body weight and then doing optimal resistance training.

Q about his practice: "I'm definitely making a dent. I see just tons of success stories. Tons of people come off of insulin. Losing 50 pounds. 100 pounds. 150 pounds. Completely reversing their diabetes. Or if they build up enough muscle with resistance training, completely curing diabetes. This is stuff that I would never ever have imagined was even possible when I was in my residency back 23 years ago. I see amazing stuff that I would never have even known that you could do - it's incredibly successful.

The only thing that kind of holds some people back, honestly, at the end of the day is basically the addictive nature of high energy density carbs and fats together so you get such an addictive dopamine hedonic response in your brain from eating doughnuts and pizza and cookies that it almost becomes addiction medicine.

I hate to say it but a huge chunk of my medical practice is basically addiction medicine. I'm prescribing suboxone for people with opioid dependence and that's very rewarding and I enjoy that part of my job and I'm prescribing naltrexone for alcholics and I have people who have all sorts of addictive behaviors - a lot nicotine dependence and tobacco use disorders and all this stuff. A massive chunk of what comes to primary care is basically addictive behaviors and addictions and substance abuse and to a certain degree once somebody knows what to do with diet and exercise but they're still eating these foods it is almost like an addiction medicine type practice and just like I do harm reduction techniques by recommending vaping and nicotine replacement for the smokers ....

I like harm reduction for people who are addicted to these carb/fat high-density foods as well by just saying "Hey, front load a bunch of protein - eat a smoked salmon omelet, eat two pounds of meat and eggs and protein and micronutrients, and then I'm not even going to tell you don't eat a bunch of doughnuts. I'm just going to tell you - eat this first because I know you're going to be so full you'll eat like one doughnut instead of a whole box of doughnuts which you would have eaten if you didn't have this big protein meal - harm reduction. This is the real problem for people who know what to do but can't do it.

At the end they talked about fiber, water, volume, distention receptors in the stomach and his new book about Satiety Per Calorie (another catchy title!) but I was sick of typing at that point.

The Roy Taylor experiment was quite shocking to me - losing that much lean mass? He said what their meal replacement shakes were but I didn't write it down. Only 10% protein and 50% carbs, iirc. He said people gained the weight back, which is not what was reported initially after the experiments - like six months out. That would make sense. Even I have kept weight off for six months. In fact, it's about my max.

I can't agree with him that the faster you lose it the quicker you gain it back. It very much depends, in my experience. I lost 70 lbs steadily over 3 years when I was in Overeaters Anonymous in my thirties, and gained 100 lbs back in six months due to enormous stress.

I'm intending to lose what I can as fast as I can this time, at least initially. Getting off to a good start is motivating to me.

In his comments at the end, I couldn't help but think of OA and what I learned there about addiction. The only weight I've successfully kept off for years was "sugar weight" (30-40 lbs) What I learned about addiction in OA enabled me to quit it eventually. In OA, it was quite common for people to regard sugar and white flour as their most problematic foods. "Abstinence" from those two would help his doughnut addicts.

I still go to OA but it's been different this time around. I guess something is only new once. But it sounds like he could be referring some of his patients there, or EDA (Eating Disorders Anonumous) or FAA (Food Addicts Anonymous). Food is tricky as an "addiction" because unlike other addictions we have to live with it not eliminate it, but there are helpful concepts to be learned in these organizations and camaraderie to be had.
  #259   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-22, 04:29

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

In the recent Food Junkies podcast interview, he said he refers patients with addictive behaviors to therapists and will use medication as appropriate.

When I am tracking food and deliberately front-loading protein, I am in the 40% protein range, but it is just as important to lower the energy side of the ratio (less fatty proteins, low fat yogurt) and increasing net carbs with high fiber foods. Fiber and micronutrients provide satiety as well. When I’m not tracking foods, I would guess my protein may be around 30-33%. I certainly eat more protein and fiber than I ever did on low carb. Satiety is key. While waiting for Dr Naiman's new book, Optimising Nutrition has a new satiety series on the blog.

Protein specificallyhttps://optimisingnutrition.com/how...-your-appetite/

For Ted Naiman fans, another Podcast! With a New Zealand Health coach.
She asks many good basic questions about the program, Hour and ~0 minutes. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...i=1000552747538

At minute 39 + she asks about the "dangers" of protein, for bones, cancer, kidneys,gout all the usual protein concerns, and he shows the lack of evidence for all.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Mar-16-22 at 08:42.
  #260   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-22, 07:26

Yes, I listened to that one and remember him saying that at the end. I wonder what the success rate is among those people he's referred?

The trouble is that seeing a therapist isn't that easy. Some insurance plans are very meager in the number of visits you get, therapists are busy because of the pandemic stress, sessions on Zoom, etc.

Peer groups are free and there's always the fellowship aspects. Well, that may not be so important these days with the internet and groups like this even, available. When I first joined OA I had literally never talked about my problems with food with anyone - my real problems - except my therapist who assured me that everything would fall into place once I'd resolved my issues. Ha!

Thanks for the Mardy Kendall article - I'll check it out.
  #261   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-22, 11:16

BF:

I really don't know if diet shakes plus exiting into a P:E diet would work, but my guess is that it would go a long way to making the weight loss stick.

Not that I think diet shakes are a good idea. They cause hunger and the dieter learns nothing in the process. I think that kind of white knuckling to lose weight is ridiculous.
  #262   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-22, 11:30

BF:

My take on food "binging" - I think people that don't feel like eating the box of donuts or the entire pizza (plus the entire box of cold left over pizza in the morning) are the weird ones! We are wired to cram in the hyperpalatable, calorie-dense low protein/low fiber foods.

I don't know if that is food addiction - I guess maybe not? I didn't have a hard time stopping, although I used to before I learned to stop eating the processed carb/fat combos. As I got bigger and bigger, I just ate more and more.

It took me a couple of weeks to come down off of the processed food when Dr. Naiman put me on low carb/high fat years ago. I had to step down slowly to keep from getting shaky it was so bad. I was not able to do "Atkins Induction" (I had tried twice in the early 90s) and ended up feeling like I needed to go to the emergency room I was so shaky! It's too bad low carb/high fat did not work that well for me. It did for a a while but eventually quit working for me.

Anyway, I am so glad Dr. Naiman changed his mind and went to high protein!
  #263   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-22, 12:43

JLX,

Amy Berger posted a new Sugar/Food Addiction Recovery Support group. It has a free 5 day challenge starting March 21st. A free checklist and Facebook support group too, I placed the info on a Sugar Addict thread:
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...42&page=1&pp=15
  #264   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-22, 16:00

Key Tones - I don't know what you mean by "diet shakes".

I agree with Dr. Naiman about the carbs+fat combo being appealing. Addiction is something more. People have all sorts of definitions and experiences with "food addiction", but any addiction is when you can't not do something.

Both of my siblings are alcoholics, my sister long in recovery, my brother long in binge drinking. In talking to my sister once, I said I thought I should quit drinking, so I did back in my thirties. She said, "You just quit?" "Yup, I decided and I quit". She said, "I quit a thousand times".

On the other hand, I was at her house in May once, and she offered me some Russian tea cake cookies that she's always made at Christmas and I just loved. I said, "Are these from last Christmas?" She said yes. (Amazing!) She said, "I think they're still good." They weren't as the butter had gone rancid.

No cookie would ever sit in my house for five months. Probably not for five days. Five hours. Five minutes.

JEY: I don't need help quitting sugar as I quit in 2011. But it's nice that people have so many options now. That people are taking it more seriously. That is what I appreciated about OA - the people there were just as distressed as I was over eating sugar.
  #265   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-22, 17:57

BF:

Oh, I was talking about Roy Taylor's shakes (what Dr. Naiman was talking about in the interview you had written up) - I think that what Roy Taylor does. I've never looked into it.

I don't think a cookie would last long in my house either! But yeah, I can't say I have an addiction.
  #266   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-22, 05:27

Oh, yeah. Duh! They were just done as part of the experiment, to get the participants to lose weight as quickly as possible as they were only 800 calories. Given that, it seems terrible that they were the configuration Dr. Naiman mentioned - so low in protein. They were on them for six months, irrc.
  #267   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-22, 09:41

BF:

JLx - do you use sweeteners, or do you feel they cause an issue?

I feel that one reason I like low carb is that sweeteners are a pretty good substitute for sugar. I think on the low fat side of the equation it is harder to substitute something.

I have found something I like to do though. The Fairlife fat free milk is really good in coffee. I have probably already said that -

I just found some Fairlife shakes at Costco, which I did not realize they have. I had been paying too much for them at the grocery store. I like to have some on hand at work on days when I go in.
  #268   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-22, 16:05

Yes, I use sweeteners - but not all. I avoid acesulfame potassium and sucralose and prefer Stevia, Swerve and I just got some Allulose. I've been sweetening plain yogurt which I didn't like (nor did I like the sugar-free versions) with a squirt of Stur. I really like that stuff as it adds just enough flavor and sweetness.

I never liked coffee and like my tea with lemon. I found Chobani fat-free ultrafiltered milk at a store in a neighboring town (38 miles away so I don't go too often) which has 20 gm protein for a cup. I'm having a cup of that with protein powder for 40 grams of protein for dinner. Beats cooking!
  #269   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-22, 09:54

BF:

Oh, interesting - I haven't seen the Chobani ultra-filtered milk. I will look out for that!
  #270   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-22, 05:20

Related to low fat milk and dairy products…there is a new small study of the effect of calcium and Vit D on weight loss, bone, CardioMetabolic markers in overweight, post menopausal women.

Of all the changes I made at the same time 18 months ago, I think adding back More Dairy was not only beneficial to my health and weight loss, but the most enjoyable for me of the allowed foods on Dr Naiman's Low Energy Diet. Some people think the low fat dairy (0% Fage yogurt) and whey powder is not satiating…but it works for me. Some days my first meal is so filling, I have a yogurt/cottage cheese bowl or smoothie for dinner…still high protein, high nutrient density but low calorie.

https://www.mdpi.com/1528020

Many low carbers think Dairy "stalls" them, but what if it is the fat and calories in the cream and cheese? Ted Naiman's rant on "Processed Foods" set me on the right course.

KT and JL…the nutrition label is quite different for the Fairlife and Chobani Fat Free Ultra-Filtered milks. If the process is the same, I question the calories for sure.