Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-19, 09:36

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I keep thinking this has to be a pre-agriculture period. Because you need some large, somewhat amenable, animal to plow, do you not?

For grass-fed beef, all you need is prairie land. Here in Florida at one time we were the #2 beef producing state in the USA. The ranchers do nothing to their land, the rain waters the grass, the cows munch on the grass, the cowpies fertilize the grass.

I've seen this since 1957. The ranchers move the cows from one pasture to another but that's it.

To farm this land you would need to plow, but not for pasture.

To farm you would also need a lot of our most precious commodity, fresh water plus tons of fertilizer, herbicides, pesticides, and CO2 spewing farm machinery. It's much more efficient AND better for the planet to just let the steer graze on the land.

I've seen this too. Sprinklers running on gasoline mowers that shoot a spray a couple of hundred feet and rotate like a small rain-bird sprinkler. Since fields have straight edges, the get the road too, and when caught in it, it shakes the car and puts so much water down the wipers do no good.

The problem with beef is when you send them to the feed lot where the gorge themselves on corn. The corn requires all those things that pasture does not, it's not good for the steer, and it lowers the nutritional value to humans.

The answer is to eat 100% grass-fed beef that has not been 'finished' on a feed lot.

Bob
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-19, 17:11

BF:

Let me add to the previous post.

Before the Europeans killed most of them, Bisons roamed the plains in huge herds eating nothing but the grass Mother Nature provided. We can do the same with steer. No need for anything but the land. As long as they don't go to a feed lot, it is much more ecological than trying to grow veggies on that land.

Bob
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-19, 08:07

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Witty review of Meatless Butcher shops and their products:

Quote:
Tom tests the fake meat- so you don't have to!

A sample of 10 reviews:

Sainsbury’s Love Your Veg! Shroomballs, £2.50 for 12

What are they? A meatball alternative made from mushroom and jackfruit.

Nutritional information: 141kcal for four balls, 1.6g saturated fat, 1.2g sugar, 0.95g salt

My verdict: I can’t taste mushroom or jackfruit in these boring little balls, which are a study in blandness. Why would you want to put this in your mouth? A waste of jaw energy.

Rating:

Sainsbury’s Love Your Veg! Green Supreme Shroomdogs, £3.50 for ten

What are they? Mushroom sausages blended with spinach, minted peas and avocado.

Nutritional information: 116kcal per serving, 1.7g saturated fat, 1.2g sugar, 1.07g salt

My verdict: You can taste the mint, and not much else, save a mushy mess with a bitter tang. Less said about these the better.

Rating:

Vivera Veggie Steak, £3.50 for two, Sainsbury’s

What are they? Steak substitute made of soya and wheat protein, with iron and Vitamin B12.

Nutritional information: 222kcal per serving, 5g saturated fat, 1.9g sugar, 1.4g salt

My verdict: Dry, bland and joyless, with a mealy texture. If this is a steak substitute, then I’m Jennifer Lawrence. For a veggie-based product it’s surprisingly high in saturated fat – 5g – the same you’d expect in a real rump steak.

Rating:

But wait, there's more,.....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...knW4 62Zeumbjc
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-19, 08:23

BF:

And when you consider that the propagandists have convinced much of the world that eating meat is bad for the environment (cow farts) and in reality fertilizer manufacture emits 100 times the methane than the cows (Cornell University and the Environmental Defense Fund), the vegan meat eaters are causing global warming. And they are convincing well-meaning people who want to eat meat to eat the substitute and while they think they are sacrificing to help the environment, they are making it worse.

https://earther.gizmodo.com/just-on...pa-h-1835376030

Bob
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-19, 09:23

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Why didn't Prince Charles' son-in-law include the protein content of these industrial products? Protein is the main reason that humans eat meat, in addition to wanting good taste and texture.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-19, 09:26

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
For a veggie-based product it’s surprisingly high in saturated fat – 5g – the same you’d expect in a real rump steak.

Oh no, five grams of saturated fat. I eat 100 grams on a slow day.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-19, 08:44

BF:

Years ago I read a book that proposed a theory that the human brain went from a more typical ape-like brain to the bigger human-type brain when humans started eating cooked meat.

It seems the amino acids are easier to digest and more bio-available after the meat has been cooked.

Of course it was a theory, but the book made a convincing case.

And even when cooked meat isn't in the equation, when you look at the intelligence of the typical herbivore and the typical predator animal on this planet, the meat eaters seem to be much smarter.

Of course that proves nothing, but it's food for thought.

I've never eaten a veggie meat substitute, and have no intention of trying one.

I have some vegan friends. We go out to dinner together and eat our own separate ways off the same menu, no proselytizing from either. I bond with them because on my diet, I'm a picky eater too.

In conversation the wife said at first they ate the veggie burgers and then thought to themselves, "What are we doing? We're trying to avoid meat so why use a crutch?"

That's a good question.

Plus I've read the ingredients of some of those things out of curiosity. It seems they are loaded with onions and other spices. I suppose that is to hide the taste of the non-burger.

I generally eat burgers with only a bit of ketchup and a slice of cheese. I don't want it to taste like onions, I want it to taste like burger.

I'll keep with grass-fed beef, and to the best of my knowledge, ethically raised pork.

I don't do chicken because it bothers arthritis, and I have an injured finger that chicken inflames. Regular eggs bother it, but the pasture-raised ones do not.

Unless I am very hungry and a veggie burger stands between me and starvation, I doubt that I'll ever eat one.

Bob
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-19, 10:26

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

That soy stuff is nasty.
DD bought some once and I tasted a bite but it was so bad I spit it out. Might as well eat cardboard....Blah
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-19, 04:35

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

We have a great health food store right in our town, which is a fine upgrade from the one in the neighboring town, where I work. Our store has humane meat and covers all ways of eating. The other store is militantly, rabidly, overtly vegan.
  • vegan soups are super-sweetened; if the starch won't get you, the sugar will
  • vegans LOOOOOOOVE their fake meat and dairy products; this is literally half the groceries in the vegan store
  • vegan delis like confrontational names, like their vegan Reuben is a "Righteous Reuben"
  • the vegan labels are blatantly proud of their imitation to forbidden animal products

"Can't tell the difference" is their rallying cry; but why? I see so much defensiveness and holier-than-thou in the vegan movement.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-19, 06:30

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

If you haven't consumed animal protein in many years, you can't tell the difference.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-19, 08:37

BF:

Here's a review of the Beyond Meat product from a Paleo perspective:

https://thepaleodiet.com/going-beyo...ittery-curtain/
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-19, 09:15

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Here's a review of the Beyond Meat product from a Paleo perspective:

https://thepaleodiet.com/going-beyo...ittery-curtain/

Good article!

Quote:
When it comes down to it, a decision to avoid high-quality animal protein comes with unavoidable consequences, with the highest on the list being nutritional.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-19, 11:50

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I can't get over this ingredient, cellulose from Bamboo, BAMBOO! Are they crazy???
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-19, 12:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I can't get over this ingredient, cellulose from Bamboo, BAMBOO! Are they crazy???

Fiber is so important in a burger . . . . . . .
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-19, 00:43

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Rat Feeding Study Suggests the Impossible Burger May Not Be Safe to Eat

• The Impossible Burger is a plant-based burger, the key ingredient of which is a protein called soy leghemoglobin (SLH), derived from genetically modified (GM) yeast
  • A rat feeding study commissioned by the manufacturer Impossible Foods found that rats fed SLH developed unexplained weight gain and changes in the blood that can indicate the onset of inflammation or kidney disease, as well as possible signs of anemia
  • Impossible Foods dismissed these statistically significant effects as “non-adverse” or as having “no toxicological relevance”
  • The company’s conclusion of safety is unsound, due to the short duration of the feeding study and the small number of animals used. Only a longer-term study with a larger number of animals can clarify the significance of the worrying effects seen
  • A nonprofit group is collecting data from people who believe they have had an adverse reaction to the burger.

https://www.gmoscience.org/rat-feed...be-safe-to-eat/