Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-09, 10:33

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Becky
Bitter melon and huang lian su both work well for me.
Banaba did nothing for me.
That's just me.What works for one person doesn't always work for another.It's an endless circle:try,test,keep it or throw it away...
Cheers
Eddie
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-09, 11:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Banaba didn't do anything for me either. MT didn't help my FBG and it looks like Bitter melon doesn't either.

But I'm weird. I wake up with high BS (100+) but during the day it goes down to 80. After dinner it goes up and seems to stay up until the next day.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-09, 20:32

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm
Becky
Bitter melon and huang lian su both work well for me.
Banaba did nothing for me.
That's just me.What works for one person doesn't always work for another.It's an endless circle:try,test,keep it or throw it away...
Cheers
Eddie

I'll keep that in mind. The berberine worked better for me than the bitter melon but the bitter melon DID work. It worked better with the milk thistle though.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 22:23

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

I was wondering I was taking Gymnema Sylvestre, and it was helping my Bs, then I ended up going to the doc with really high BP, but I have had on and off high Bp for yrs.
Can this Herb cause BP to go up, and can I take it while taking BP meds?
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-09, 04:33

BF:

I don't think that herb causes hbp. Cajunboy would know.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-09, 08:07

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Gymnema has ZERO side effects! It is probably the safest of all herbs to take....

It will not cause any change in blood pressure.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-09, 23:05

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

Thank you Cajun, so much, I will start back on it tonight, before bed, I was taking one in the am and one at bedtime, it helped alot. My doc, of course didn't say anything about me taking it, but when asked about if it added to my HP she didn't answer.

So good Thank You Debbie
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-09, 15:33
Experimenter

BF:

Ok, I think I have it figured out. My FBG went down but I was doing a lot of new things at once. Now I added them in one at a time and I think I have pinpointed it. It was the Gymnema Sylvestre. Or possibly Gymnema + Vanadium. I haven't tried the GS alone, but will try that next.

My FBG was 88 this morning and after a relatively carby lunch (black beans in it) it was only 101.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Tue, Mar-24-09 at 17:34.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-09, 17:08

BF:

Nancy that is fantastic. So the gymnema works huh? I have not tired it since I was diagnosed prediabetic. I've used it in the past to control hunger but it constipated me. Cajunboy says it had to be something else that was constipating me so I will have to try it again. I've been drinking merlot the past two nights and it hasn't brought my FBG down. The shiraz brought it into the 70's. It's been between 95-100 with the merlot. Coconut oil will bring it down into the low nineties upper eighties so tonight I'll go back to that.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-09, 17:35
Experimenter

BF:

Oh wow... maybe that's what is constipating me? I thought it was my intestines just balking because coffee, which I recently gave up, was such a laxative. Hmmm... I'll read up and see. Well, looks like they use it as a treatment for constipation, so it's probably not that.

Anyway, I think that's what is working. I've had it happen twice now. I'll stay on it and hopefully it'll continue to work!

Last edited by Nancy LC : Tue, Mar-24-09 at 17:55.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-09, 19:24

Nancy,

D-Care Sugar Blocker (name brand) is gymnema sylvestre combined with Vanadyl Sulfate and it helps me. I'm pretty sure it was your combination that helped the FBG ...

I recently bought a stronger potency of the gymnema sylvestre from Vitacost and it is not a combo, just the gymnema in a capsule at double the strength of my combo gymnema. My combo works better than the gymnema from Vitacost....

So, I too have noticed the combo has a better response, but for me, the response is not as great as what you're getting, but then my carb intake is a lot higher...

Example: We had boiled crawfish and shrimp and grilled catfish and stuffed crabs for lunch, so tonight, I didn't feel like a meal, so I had a fruit salad of pears, plums, nectarine, apples, strawberries.... I suppose I had the equivalent of two apples in terms of volume eaten....
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-09, 03:55

BF:

AGH FBG 107 this morning. The coocnut oil didn't work but it could be the snack I had around eight.

Ron where do you get the d-care sugar blocker?

Last edited by soapluvr : Wed, Mar-25-09 at 05:27.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-09, 06:30

I bought it online, but it is available at K-Marts, or it used to be.

www.d-care.com

You can't buy it directly from that website, but there is a link to where to buy online. It's about $9 for a bottle of 100 pills. I also buy their multi-vitamin and anti-oxidant pills....
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-09, 10:29
Experimenter

BF:

I just got NOW brand Gymnema and some brand of Vanadium.

I'm going to try a stint of Gym alone and see how it goes. My BS was 96 this morning, a few mornings ago it was 115! Yow. I think it might be higher today because I'm horribly sleep deprived. I was up all night with intestinal issues.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-09, 19:41

BF:

I'm thinking I don't have DP anymore. My glucose has been staying between 95-120 at all times but this is with NO supplements and also very low carbing. It will be about 110 when I go to bed and if I eat just perfectly it will be below 100 when I wake up the next day. So that's not DP right? I like getting the lower fasting numbers but it just dawned on me this morning (no pun) that the DP is when you wake up higher than when you went to bed and that hasn't happened in quite some time.

I don't think I had it when I was taking the berberine either. It was always between 80-100 on the berberine and would inch above 100 sometimes if I screwed up dietwise.