Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Dec-17-04, 13:11
Registered Member

Plan: Hybrid
Stats: 340/312/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Whatever the sweetening equivalent of 1 tsp of Sweet-n-Low is, the same equivalent of any sweetener should work, since the recipe dissolves the sweetener in liquid. However, this recipe has Splenda, too, so it's working on the synergy of two sweeteners to cut the amount of either that you need. Therefore, if you eliminate the S-n-L, you'll probably need more than the equivalent of Splenda. Maybe try a Sugar Twin or other sweetener with the Splenda?

I remember trying Velveeta many (many!) years ago. Hey, cheese is a dairy product, and American cheese has very little cheese flavor anyway, so why not???
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Dec-17-04, 14:41

Plan: Bariatric Surgery/S.Beach
Stats: 280/143/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 101%

Has anyone tried this yet? I'm going to make it next week to have Christmas day.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 03:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/187/158 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

did anyone ever try this one recipe? sue
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 13:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I looked for American Cheese at my supermarket. The only kind they had was in the prewrapped slices. Hmmm...
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 17:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/160/135 Female 5'5''
BF:?
Progress: 77%

It's great --just make sure that you use unsalted butter and a low salt cheese --It was pretty salty tho very good!!
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 15:52
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up

I made this Monday nite....was a little leary because of the cheese, but was willing to try it because of the low carb count. I used liquid stevia instead of the sweet-n-low.

It's good! tastes like creamy chocolate fudge! The recipe is a keeper! Give it a whirl, friends!!!!!
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-05, 10:23

Plan: atkins, protein power
Stats: 230/137/130 Female 5'3"
BF:29%
Progress: 93%

I made this for the holidays last year, but I used the Velveeta type cheese! I actually used the cheaper store brand!

And it was very good, non LCers said it was good.

Will make it again, but not too often, as I have a tendancy to eat more than a few pieces, don't want the carbs or the calories!

Give this a try! And don't be afraid of the Velveeta.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 22:41

Plan: 80/20 Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 250/190/145 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 57%

I just made this, it is wonderful, just make sure you use the lowest carb American Cheese, they vary greatly. I used Kraft Deluxe because it has less than one carb per slice. This was great, best LC dessert on the board I have tried so far.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-05, 08:01

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

i've seen the recipe for veleeta fudge before, but the only block american cheese i've seen is velveeta and kraft, so what am i looking for as far as cheese goes if not velveetaq? the kraft is only 1 carb per serving but tastes very different from the velveeta. the consistency is different as well.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-05, 11:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I finally found American cheese! It was in the deli section where they slice it for you. They don't seem to have it in the prepackaged cheese area that I've seen.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-05, 23:28

Plan: 80/20 Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 250/190/145 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 57%

next time I make this I am going to use something else for the sweetnlow, I remember once someone saying it does not go well with chocolate, and though its not bad in this recipe, I think I would perfer something else with a less bitter taste, I am going to experiment a little with other things...this basic recipe is really amazing though, my kids have been munching on this all week, I think I got 4 peices all together!
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 13:16
Clueless. ODAAT.

I make this with the pre-wrapped American Cheese slices and it comes out just fine! But I did discover that tearing the slices into pieces before adding them (slowly) to the melting stuff is a better idea - the cheese blends more thoroughly then.

Last time I made this, I forgot to add the Sweet-n-low (actually, I use Stevia) - the fudge tasted the same.

I don't really have a problem over-eating it because a piece or two does me fine - and the pan lasts for weeks in the refrigerator.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Dec-23-06, 08:24
Clueless. ODAAT.

Well...I've tried lots of fudge recipes and this one is still my favorite!!!!!!!!!!! I made a batch last night and decided to just put in one stick of butter - I think I like it better with the one stick - less oily, sets up more firmly!

I highly recommend this recipe if you are 'jonesing' for a Christmas chocolate treat. My counts on this (at a yield of 64 pieces) of .8 carbs, 44 calories, 1 g protein, 4.2 g fat. Pretty good, IMHO, for a treat!

Merry Christmas 2006!
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Dec-23-06, 08:32
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

I was looking at the fudge in the grocery store yesterday and wishing, so off I go to get some american cheese! thank you so much!
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Dec-28-06, 01:08

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

the velveeta recipe in it's higher carb form has been kicking around for years with rave reviews. besides, jun keaters stuff always is all good by the by, it might be worth trying the kraft american as it is half the carbs of the velveeta per serving for the same amount of cheese. two per serving for velveeta, one per serving for kraft. the kraft is a little firmer though, so ya'll might want to experiment with a bit amount first to test it out.