Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 07:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Question What are the most common mistakes?

Hello,

Like others posting on this page, I am in the induction phase, and have been doing a lot of reading and research this past week.

My question is above, what are the most common things folks do that are mistakes? I know that one is not eating enough veggies, and another is binging, over-eating of the allowed foods.

What are some other ones? I want to do this right. So far, the main thing I know, boiled down, is to drink lots of water, eat only of the allowed food groups, eat no more than 20 grams of carbs a day, and eat only until I'm satisfied, and exercise, and GET THOSE VEGGIES in!

Any other boiled down advice, or common mistakes?

Wordlady
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 07:35

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: What are the most common mistakes?

Quote:
Originally posted by wordlady
Any other boiled down advice, or common mistakes?
IMHO, the most common mistakes when starting a LC WOE (way of eating) are trying to do it according to the old 'low fat / rectricted calorie mindset'.

LC should not be low fat; it works well, better usually, as high fat, so why put yourself through the agony? Restricting calories too much will give you restricted calorie results; loss of weight sure, but it's not going to be just fat. LCing by it's very nature causes you to restrict calories; fat is self limiting, there is only so much you can eat, and ketosis robs you of your appetite.

Which brings us to the another common mistake. Thinking 'less is better' - just as eating too much makes fat loss difficult (or impossible) so does eating too little. Your body needs fuel to function - functioning includes burning fat. You need to feed it.

Expecting dramatic overnight results is also a pitfall. LC isn't a quick fix. If it's to work and you are to keep the fat off it has to be a change in eating behaviour. It has to be a Way of Life (WOL).

I'm sure you'll get other suggestions, but these, to me, are the biggies.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 07:45
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

There was a really great thread on just this topic. I don't know if you have read it yet, but:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...Newbie+mistakes

Paleoanth
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 09:08

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%
Default Break free!

Another thing might be getting into what people here call "frankenfoods" too early. Though some people do fine with things like Atkins bars, they aren't really suitable for induction (even though the stupid atkins website says they are. I think they want to sell the things.) Use induction as a chance to break free from sweets. Use artificial sweeteners in moderation and try not to eat sugarfree jell-o every night.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 12:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Good advice so far...

And once you're past the induction phase, don't go crazy with the allowable things, particularly MY downfall...NUTS! Bad news.

My tip would be to not expect anything specific, but just let your body do the gentle adjusting it needs to do. The scale is not the only measure of your progress...there are internal changes going on that may take much longer than two weeks.

Personally, my skin, hair, nails and mood have GREATLY improved, my migraines are almost nil, and I am fitting into clothes that previously were a nightmare! And that's only with a loss of 10-15 pounds since April!!

So, enjoy the journey, take your time, make it a new way of eating and not a diet... and you will do GREAT!

#6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 13:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

The common mistakes my family and I made were not counting the "hidden carbs" and not taking all the vitamin/mineral supplements we should have, at first. Now, we check everything, particularly if the label says it has 0 carbs, and we take a nice soup of supplements. Calcium was especially important to me because I had backaches ONLY on the nights when I hadn't had enough calcium during the day.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 16:37

Stats: 220/202/160
BF:
Progress: 30%

When I first started I found it better to eat 5-6 small meals instead of 3 meals. This kept me from having any hunger pains. Even now I'm quick to eat an allowable snack when I want to cheat. Fat goes a long way in totally stopping hunger pains. That is what I really love about this way of eating.

Water, Water, Water!

Katie
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 06:11

BF:

Wow, what a wonderful support group. I want to thank each and every one of you. I will remember the pointers. I need to make some modifications, I can see.

I have a couple of questions, and don't want to post a whole new thread. To get a little more fat, are there any pointers? I looked at my jar of peanut butter, (and I was catching my breath while doing so), only to find that a serving has 15 carbs. Any other tricks? I briefly dreamed of sitting down to a few tablespoon fulls in the evening. Darn. I get the fat from my cheese and my bleu cheese dressing.

Secondly, I have a question about this absorbable carb. thing. I bought some unsweetened soy milk. Milk is one of my FAVORITE things on the planet. (When I looked at the carbs, I understood why). Anyway, in a serving, there are 5 carbs, and 5 grams of fiber. Does this mean that I only count a serving as ONE carb? Where can I read more on that?

Oh man, you guys are the BEST. I really value that you are supporting me. thank you!!!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 06:25

BF:

I want to edit my above post, but I'm afte the time limit. Sorry. The soy milk has four grams of fiber, not five.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 06:26

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 186/161/138 Female 65 inches
BF:38/30ish/?
Progress: 52%
Default just stick to the plan

As long as you are doing induction, just follow the plan as outlined (hide that peanut butter...it will induce a binge). Later when you are done with induction you can decide the carbs you want to experiment with.

But you'll get better advice from the pros here...I'm only on day 4
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 15:42

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Wow, what brand of soy milk is that?

But I'd have to agree. It's best to just stick to induction without trying to bend the rules (yet). After your two weeks of allowed foods, feel free to add that super low carb soy milk and even some natural peanutbutter (5 carbs for two tablespoons)

Before then, like I was saying above... break free. I was like you, fantasizing about what was allowed, but it helped me better adjust to adding carbs. I wasn't thinking about sugar and french fries, but nuts and strawberries.

I get my fat from olive oil mostly. I slather veggies in it and fry up ground beef in it. Also, if you eat fattier meats you will get a sufficient amount of fat. Avocados are also a good source of fats that are good for you. In addition, I take an essential oils supplement with fish and flaxseed oils in it. yay, fat!

You're doing great, it looks like. Just stick to it and you will adjust wonderfully to loving this way of eating.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 16:31

BF:

Thanks very much for your advice :-)
The soy milk is Westsoy, Unsweetened, Vanilla Soymilk. Total fat 4.5. Total Carbs: 5. Total fiber: 4.

So, even though I can have this as part of my daily allowance in carbs, I should avoid it because it's not on the specified allowed food list?

And, also, from what reading I've done, it does look like I can deduct the fiber grams from the carb grams, but I'll still wait and have this delicious drink later.

Thanks for all the support everyone :-) This is a great place.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 20:05
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Hi WordLady...yes you can deduct the fiber from the overall carb count and just take the net. And yes, I agree to avoid doing ANYTHING that's not on the induction rules because right now your body is adjusting to a new type of fat burning routine...it's going from burning carbs for energy, to burning fat. You don't want to throw a kink in the works this early on.

Later, when your body is routinely functioning this way, you can experiment with a small glass here and there to see how you respond. If you have no gain and no problems, add them into your total and enjoy! Right now, hang tough!! It's worth it to get off to the best start possible.

You're doing great!