Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-20, 18:12
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Those of us who are addicts are able to get some control as long AS WE'RE NOT HUNGRY. That's what this WOE gives me. No hunger. When I combine that with Time Restricted Eating, I stay full and satisfied and just tell myself not to eat after a certain time every day. Each time I'm able to do that, I give myself high marks.

You will get to your path in your own way.

Oh, and stay away from the scale. That's a hard bit.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-20, 05:36

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl2
I can handle the meals, but the urge for "recreational eating" is what gets me. I need to follow your lead, and just accept that recreational eating is not worth the cost to my health and my body.

I had an Eating Disorder as a teen. Did well on low carb, but last year stress put me into serious carb creep. Definitely on a downhill health slide.

I needed radical action and I took radical action! Over the past 12 months, I committed to Atkins Induction level carbs, Intermittent Fasting, and since my issue was autoimmune, a serious elimination diet.

CARNIVORE for almost a month. It was amazing.

Turns out, a lot of what was triggering cravings wasn't psychological; which I did handle in my twenties. But the physical parts were always a struggle, and it took low carb for me to understand how much of it was blood sugar issues, and it turns out, food sensitivities.

Being carnivore (I'm still like 90% so, after eliminating trouble foods) was a revelation in lack of cravings, real nutrition, and revamping my head (yet again) that what has been pounded into us in the form of "healthy" is so radically wrong. I advise you to try to throw out everything, and open yourself to experimenting as a low carber, and find out what your body wants.

Which is to be healthy, mentally and physically: and yes, it's all connected.

I recommend the book, The Mood Cure by Julia Ross. Her approach to nutrition and supplementation is wonderful for any food addictions, disordered eating, and why we crave stuff that is bad for us. She makes so much sense to me.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-20, 08:18

Plan: Very low carb
Stats: 218/205.4/158 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Glenda and WereBear, thank you so much for your replies. As a general comment, I'm so glad that this forum gives us a space where we can talk honestly about addiction. I believe the search for real solutions and healing is only possible when we can get out from under the clouds of secrecy and shame.

Glenda - 'No Hunger' is important to me too. I remember during my times of diligent low carb that I was NOT food obsessed all the time, and could "wait to eat" whether that was during a long drive, while a meal was cooking, etc!

WereBear - I too suffered with an eating disorder as a teen. As far back as I can remember I used sweets to sooth myself, and then when I reached high school the "dieting" started and an even more disordered relationship with food.

I truly believe this experience in my youth is what set me up for alcoholism and a lifetime of struggle with food. One of the hardest parts of this journey for me has been ACCEPTANCE that I will never have a "normal" relationship with all categories of food, just like I will never have a "normal" relationship with alcohol. "Normal" meaning the ability to start and stop at will.

I don't even like the word normal. Basically, it's a setting on a washing machine.