Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-19, 10:41

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Something I learned when researching histamines was that bone broth was high. Fresh meat is the lowest and as it ages it increases in histamines.

Interesting. I have no known issues with histamines, despite my autoimmune illness/es. Considering how much avocado, shellfish, etc I do eat, it must not be a factor for me. I started with just fresh meat, carnivore for like 2-3 weeks? So with such a low baseline, I would have noticed, I hope.

In addition, I'm just not a hot-broth-sipping kind of person. This way, I get my big cup, make my big serving, and have something to drink all day. That I can do, home or work.

I did choose grass-fed.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-19, 10:51

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Well IDK if I have issues with histamines either and I don't know how I would figure it out. I was just reading into a lot of areas trying to figure out what I was told was auto immune issues which I'm not sure that I ever had. But before taking PILLS to knock back my immune system down, I decided to do research instead. Now I think it was just as simple as all of the veggies I was eating.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-19, 14:55
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

There is so much stuff in the soil and sprayed on the plants - from creative fertilizers to targeted herbicides to extensive pesticides, then stuff sprayed on before shipping, some of which might absorb... this stuff is present in the plant when we eat it, so I wouldn't be surprised if some people reacted to modern agricultural products. It's possible you might not react the same to something from your backyard.

PJ
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-19, 11:01

BF:

Look at how the dwarf wheat has so much Roundup in it. am I gluten intolerant or just reacting to the herbicide?
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-19, 16:29

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I tend to eat organic when I can afford it, and I can afford it most of the time.

Anything from the "dirty dozen" I will not eat unless organic.

I steer clear of GMO foods not necessarily because of the gene manipulation but for the massive amounts of water soluble Round-Up herbicide that is banned in so many countries because it is a probably carcinogen.

And being low-carb I limit my sugar/starch so anything with fructose as the sugar is a definite no-no.

Bob
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-19, 17:41

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Look at how the dwarf wheat has so much Roundup in it. am I gluten intolerant or just reacting to the herbicide?

Good question. Could be. When I go to Europe I can eat bread. You’ve heard of Irish Soda Bread? They had to put baking soda in it because the gluten content was too low. That’s what I was told. Before I climbed back on the LC wagon I could eat pasta if it was imported from Italy. YMMV.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-19, 18:32

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Me
Good question. Could be. When I go to Europe I can eat bread. You’ve heard of Irish Soda Bread? They had to put baking soda in it because the gluten content was too low. That’s what I was told. Before I climbed back on the LC wagon I could eat pasta if it was imported from Italy. YMMV.

Bromine is in all of the bread, pasta, crackers etc.. here and they won't allow it in Europe and well as Australia is getting rid of it. It is used to make the dough elastic or something like that. 30 years ago they used iodine but they then stopped and began using
That horrible Bromine, Bromide.
Bromine is also a fire retardant that they began putting on bedding/matresses as well as other places you couldn't imagine like orange drinks. It might even be in children's pajamas.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-19, 04:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I steer clear of GMO foods not necessarily because of the gene manipulation but for the massive amounts of water soluble Round-Up herbicide that is banned in so many countries because it is a probably carcinogen.

Likewise, and a US court just found for the plaintiff, a golf course manager who was constantly in contact with it... until he developed cancer.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-19, 04:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Bromine is also a fire retardant that they began putting on bedding/matresses as well as other places you couldn't imagine like orange drinks. It might even be in children's pajamas.

Ironically, there were US congressional hearings mid-20th-century, because the new artificial fabrics, extensively used in children's nightwear and costumes because of their low cost, were highly flammable. It was the cause of death for a co-star of Shirley Temple's, from the film The Blue Bird.

Quote:
Four-year-old Caryll Ann Ekelund (credited as Caryll N. Ekelund), appears as an unborn child in the film. On Halloween 1939, Ekelund's costume caught fire from a lit jack-o-lantern. She died from her burns several days later and was buried in her costume from the film. Ekelund came from a show business family, and her older sister was actress Jana Lund.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_Bird_(1940_film)

Quote:
On June 30, 1953, Congress enacted the Flammable Fabrics Act. At that time, the Act eliminated the manufacture, offering for sale, or sale of any kind of article or wearing apparel that was "so highly flammable as to be dangerous when worn by individuals." The reason why the statute was enacted was primarily due to a series of tragic deaths that occurred in the mid '40s. There were too many fires involving children wearing long rayon pile cowboy chaps or brushed rayon sweaters were known as "torches" or "exploding" sweaters.

http://www.scientificadvisory.com/ses.html

But no one was in fire danger from bread. I think it makes it rise faster.