Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-19, 08:27

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

My wife is not going to buy more calcium after this bottle is done.

A2 cheese is good, and she found a great tasting Imported from Italy Parmesan, which has a high calcium content, under the Boar's Head brand. But be careful, it MUST be imported from Europe to be A2.

Mull of Kintyre and some mature cheddars have so much calcium that they crystallize in the cheese. I don't know if that makes them more difficult to absorb or not, but it's a nice texture in the cheese.

But again, 72 years old, zero medications, can't remember my last cold, and haven't called in sick since the mid-1960s is a good testimonial for vitamins. Especially since I was a sickly child and when I wanted to join the military at 18 I was classified 4F for health reasons.

I don't know if they would work this way for anyone else, or even if they would be harmful for someone, we are all similar, but different. I do know they work for me.

Bob
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-19, 11:07

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tess9132
I take Mag, D, K2, iodine, and Ubiquinol. I'm thinking about adding calcium since I'm currently off dairy, but I'm going to try that A2 cheese suggested in another thread and if it doesn't cause me any inflammation, I'll skip the calcium.

Although I've had colds since I started the D and K2 (Mk4), they're fewer and far between and nowhere near the severity they used to be. I used to get everything that came down the pike. I've been taking the D along with the K2 since 2016

I just looked up Ubiquinol and it's very interesting that we don't convert CoQ10 very well when we are over 30, so this is the form we need.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-19, 06:02

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
I just looked up Ubiquinol and it's very interesting that we don't convert CoQ10 very well when we are over 30, so this is the form we need.
I felt the difference almost immediately when I began taking Ubiquinol. If I remember correctly, the first two days it gave me a headache but headache doesn't really describe my reaction accurately because it felt somewhat healing to me. By the third day, I noticed my morning fogginess was lifting. It used to be before my morning caffeine I was just a groggy mess. But here today, for instance, I've been up for 3 hours already and have not yet had a cup of tea. Couldn't have done that prior to Ubiquinol.

On the other hand, now I will sometimes forget to take my Ubiquinol for weeks at a time and I don't notice any ill effects, so maybe I've fixed any deficiency I once had and don't need it anymore. When I started taking Ubiquinol I took two a day. Probably did that for six months or more. These days I'm probably more every other day or so. I have my husband on 2 a day though.

p.s. Ubiquinol is crazy expensive. I stock up on it when it goes on sale at BJ's (Costco type store). Fortunately, it goes on sale at least two or three times a year so I haven't paid full price in a long time.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-19, 08:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tess9132
I felt the difference almost immediately when I began taking Ubiquinol. If I remember correctly, the first two days it gave me a headache but headache doesn't really describe my reaction accurately because it felt somewhat healing to me. By the third day, I noticed my morning fogginess was lifting. It used to be before my morning caffeine I was just a groggy mess. But here today, for instance, I've been up for 3 hours already and have not yet had a cup of tea. Couldn't have done that prior to Ubiquinol.

On the other hand, now I will sometimes forget to take my Ubiquinol for weeks at a time and I don't notice any ill effects, so maybe I've fixed any deficiency I once had and don't need it anymore. When I started taking Ubiquinol I took two a day. Probably did that for six months or more. These days I'm probably more every other day or so. I have my husband on 2 a day though.

p.s. Ubiquinol is crazy expensive. I stock up on it when it goes on sale at BJ's (Costco type store). Fortunately, it goes on sale at least two or three times a year so I haven't paid full price in a long time.

Ubiquinol IS crazy expensive. Since you found yours at a warehouse type store and for I assume a decent price, I was wondering what brand you get. Right now I have the Kirkland brand. I take it for general health and to help with absorption of Turmeric
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-19, 12:56

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Since you found yours at a warehouse type store and for I assume a decent price, I was wondering what brand you get.

Sorry to take so long to respond. I knew the brand but I needed to get to BJ's to get the other info. My current ubiquinol is from Costco because they had it on sale a couple of months ago. I use Qunol. I typically buy 150 capsules for about 18 or 19 dollars. I've seen the Kirkland brand but I'm afraid to switch because the Qunol has been working for us.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-19, 15:17
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I get really sick (digestive) if I take probiotics or even eat yogurt. Each body has different needs.

I've pared my daily supplements down to Cod Liver Oil and Vit D3 plus a baby aspirin. Stopped taking calcium supplements years ago, but I use butter and HWC.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-19, 12:22

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

I don't take a multi-vitamin. I eat a wide range of veggies and meat and have never noticed a difference in how I felt, long or short term, when I've taken a multi in the past.

I do take a calcium/magnesium/Vit D supplement, potassium, and B-complex every day, plus liquid supplement for electrolytes in the water I drink.

Since boosting my electrolyte intake significantly, I've started to physically feel much better. Gotten rid of foot and leg cramps, muscles in my neck are much more relaxed, etc. So I notice a big difference with that.

I take vit D at the suggestion of my doctor who says everyone who lives in the Pacific NW is low on vitamin D (maybe not fair-skinned people who work outdoors, but everyone else). And I take calcium in hopes of warding off my family history of osteoporosis (yes, I'm aware of it's concern re: heart disease, but that's less of concern with my family history and it's more of a problem for men).

The B-complex seems like an odd outlier for someone eating plenty of beef on a low carb diet. However, I notice significant differences in my energy level and mental capacity (I have ADHD) when I take it. Since starting this I've read that many neurological disorders are associated with the MTHFR gene mutation and people with that mutation are often deficient in B vitamins, in turn causing problems with synthesizing neurotransmitters (along with a host of other issues). I don't know that I have that gene mutation (I've never been tested). But given my apparent need for extra B vitamins and my neuro history, it wouldn't surprise me.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-19, 07:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

Thanks Tess9132 - I'll look at Costco next trip.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-19, 08:43
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

While doing research for an egg substitute for my minute muffin, I came across soy lecithin and I think I'll be adding it to my dailies. It's used to treat dementia and a host of other conditions. Also, seems it's good for the skin. Hmm. I can use that, too.

Since I've already purchased it, I'll keep using for a while.