Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 14:02
Registered Member

Plan: PPLP/Schwarzbein
Stats: 183/152/140 Female 5 foot 4 1/2
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Carb Count on bee pollen?

So, i've heard that bee pollen is really high in protein. Apparently it contains all 22 essential amino acids too. I tried looking up the carb count and had no luck finding it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 14:56

Plan: CALP (switched from Atkins)
Stats: 189/169/145 Female 63 inches
BF:Way/too/high
Progress: 45%

I don't know the carb count, but beware it is putrid tasting.. When I was a kid, my swim coach recommended it to all the parents. My parents bought some: it was powdered rather than in pill form. Well, I still remember gagging as I tried to force it down, and it didn't always make it all the way down.

There are many tastier ways to get your protein...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 15:06
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Beware also if you have any allergies. There have been deaths reported from anaphylactic shock as a result of ingesting bee pollen.

Have a look at what "Quackwatch" says about bee pollen: http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quacker...cs/DSH/bee.html

So I have to agree with Xtena - there are far better ways to get your protein.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 15:20
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%

Somebody else asked this a while back ... here's a quote from my reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Bee pollen is approx. 30% protein, 2 - 3% fat and 55% carbohydrate by weight. The remaining 18% consists of debris, fungi, insect body parts, molds and plant materials, insect and rodent droppings, etc. So, 2 grams of pollen (4 x 500mg capsules) would have 3 x 0.55 = 1.1g carbs.

..........The University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences has published a paper that describes some of the practises of commercial pollen production; as well it debunks the myths and miraculous claims made by the promoters of bee pollen as "super food". You can read it here.

What this means is that one Tablespoon (15g) of pollen would have:
- 30% prot = 4.5g
- 2% fat = 0.3g
- 55% carb = 8.25g
- 13% water and debris

hth,

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 19:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/150/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 92%

Why the heck would you eat bee pollen???
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 09:10
Registered Member

Plan: PPLP/Schwarzbein
Stats: 183/152/140 Female 5 foot 4 1/2
BF:
Progress: 72%

Thanks Doreen! Very helpful. =) I kind of thought it must be carby, bc it's sweet.

The pollen that i have is kind of licoricey tasting--it's pretty good. The taste would totally depend on what kind of flowers the bees are harvesting from.

My husband is a beekeeper, so i can get all the fresh pollen i want. =)
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 13:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
Beware also if you have any allergies. There have been deaths reported from anaphylactic shock as a result of ingesting bee pollen.

Have a look at what "Quackwatch" says about bee pollen: http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quacker...cs/DSH/bee.html

So I have to agree with Xtena - there are far better ways to get your protein.

Rosebud

On the other hand, have a look at what Quackwatch has been saying for years about Atkins and the low carb 'diet'... Ouch.

Bunch of naysayers for the most part.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 09:15
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

http://www.westonaprice.org/nutriti...ines/guide.html

Bee Pollen: Bee pollen has been popularized by famous athletes who take it regularly for strength and endurance. It has been used successfully to treat a variety of ailments including allergies, asthma, menstrual irregularities, constipation, diarrhea, anemia, low energy, cancer, rheumatism, arthritis and toxic conditions. A Russian study of the inhabitants of the province of Georgia, where many live to 100 years and a few to age 150, revealed that many of these centenarians were beekeepers who often ate raw, unprocessed honey with all its "impurities," that is, with the pollen. Bee pollen contains 22 amino acids including the eight essential ones, 27 minerals and the full gamut of vitamins, hormones and fatty acids. Most importantly, bee pollen contains more than 5,000 enzymes and coenzymes. It is the presence of enzymes, many of which have immediate detoxifying effects, that sometimes provokes allergic reactions in those taking bee pollen for the first time. If this happens, start with very small amounts and slowly build up to a tablespoon or so per day. Some brands are more easily tolerated than others. Avoid pollen that has been dried at temperatures higher than 130 degrees. Bee pollen can be taken in powder, capsule or tablet form—or in raw unprocessed honey mixed with cereal or spread on toast.

It doesnt sound like I would take it for protein, but it seems to have other benefits. Not sure how accurate it is, but I would look into it more. I would definitely take it in capsule form. I have issues swallowing pills that arent in gelcaps because the taste makes me gag. The thought of eating a powder would never happen with me.