Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 05:21

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 260/260/155 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Help - too many suggestions

I started low carbing by reading Atkins and Protein Power. I started 13 August at 230 and rapidly lost down to 214. I also have high blood pressure and high cholesteral. Then I was away from home a lot for the next few months but maintained the 214. In October I found this wonderful forum. At Christmas I went up to 220 but went back to 214 the next week.

I haven't had any significant weight lose since August. I have been really good since Christmas. I am still at 213/214 with high blood pressure! After reading all the books and all the suggestions, I have given up all caffeine, diet drinks in general, heavy cream, hard cheese, bacon, lunch meat, etc, etc. No sweets or starchy carbs. I even gave up my blood pressure medicine for a week and monitored it 3 times a day. After seeing how high it was, I started taking it again.

I am living on salmon, fish, chicken, eggs, cream cheese and vegies (LC of course). I am keeping my calories to 10 times my weight, my ratio is 2% carbs, 60-70% fat and the rest protein. I take my vitamins regularly. I go to the gym 3 times a week and do 2 miles on the treadmill and upper body on the Nautalis equipment.

I really want to lose this weight and am afraid to read another book because I can't give up much else. Any suggestions? I don't want to get bored with this but I really need to lose. Thanks all - Susan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 06:21

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

wow, Susan, what a frustrating situation! I'm posting mostly to offer sympathy. I'm glad you've read both books and have stayed so faithful, despite not getting great results for several weeks now.

It's possible eggs are stalling you--from what I understand, just a week off a food should tell you if it's a problem food for you through

Have you had your thyroid levels checked? That's the only other possibility I can think of. I hope some of our more experienced moderators have other ideas for you!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 00:40
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Raz's idea of getting your thyroid checked is a good one. In the meantime relax! Start enjoying this WOE. I have an unfounded theory that completely stressing over your WOE actually inhibits weight loss.

Throw out all your anxieties surrounding your WOE and start again fresh. What can you do to make it more enjoyable and less of a chore or something you desperately have to succeed at?

After being all over the place with my WOE, anxieties and addictions, I finally went right back to the beginning and started doing what worked in the beginning. It may work for you too!

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 12:40

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 260/260/155 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for listening, guys. I am over my whining for now. I just had to let it out. Sometimes the frustration builds up and it seems better to whine then to quit, but I promise, OPTIMISM for awhile!

I bought good meats today at the commissary. Will try lamb and got some shrimp. That should help the boredom. Also, have substituted avocado (yum) for bacon in the mornings, as well as adding a half cup of sliced strawberries with Splenda in the evenings. Will see what happens.

Read several threads on calories and have decided that 1800-1900 a day will be max for me. I carefully put everything into fitday.com everyday so I can track what I am eating and how much.

I know that whoosh fairy will come my way eventually.

Susan
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 16:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/146/120
BF:
Progress: 35%
Thumbs up

Good for you Karen...keep the faith. If you persevere you will win in the end. Sometimes our reward just takes a little longer than others...
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 03:47

Plan: Atkins/Induction
Stats: 154/150/125
BF:Unknown
Progress: 14%
Default CALORIE HELP

Sunsight17 or anyone. Where do I go on this forum to read about/figure out the amount of calories I should be consuming? Thanks.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 04:21
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Just a suggestion.

Why don't you reduce your fat a little and up your protein a bit. You need protein to repair muscles and tissues. Try to get at least 12 oz of protein a day. Some people have better luck on Atkins with a little lower fat.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 07:56
Contributing Member

Plan: Protein Power (loosly)
Stats: 165/158/158 Female 5'8"
BF:I don't know

help the newbie, what does WOE stand for?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 22:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 267/256/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

Hi!

WOE stands for "way of eating"...as opposed the the "D" word!!

Dana

By the way...WOL stands for "way of life".
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 05:46
Contributing Member

Plan: Protein Power (loosly)
Stats: 165/158/158 Female 5'8"
BF:I don't know
Wink Woe

Thanks for the info. I like that idea because of the stigma that is attached to dieting. When I tell people I am on a 'diet', they are horrified and think I have an eating disorder. I then have to explain that it's not to lose a lot of weight but to improve my health and to feel better. They don't seem to get that and still continue to lecture me on why I sould not be 'dieting'. I will stop using the D word in favor of WOE or low carb life style.