Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Ireland
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-04, 17:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/166/143 Female 173cm
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Splenda

Hi all,

I've been trying to find Splenda over here and so far found the little round things that you can put in your tea (11 % sucralose) and a big jar that is mixed with maltodextrin (or something similar) and only contains 1 % sucralose but 96 grams of carbs per 100 grams. The Americans always seem to talk about packets of splenda, but I cant seem to find those over here. Any suggestions??

thanks,
Gagalina
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-04, 17:39
Registered Member

Plan: Stillman
Stats: 250/110/101 Female 4'11"
BF:unknown
Progress: 94%

Hi Galinia: Here (USA) Splenda comes both in individual packets and bulk. Sounds like maybe the "jar" one may be the bulk we use here. The large bag is 275 gms. and equavilant to 5 lbs of sugar. We cook with it all the time because hubby and I are both diabetics. Splenda has a web site. Perhaps you could send them an e-mail... have a wonderful day, Tootie
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-04, 18:16

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

You're actually lucky to find the little round tablets. We can't get them in North AMerica. I believe they are lower in carbs than the little envelopes of powder which contain maltodextrin and must be counted as 1 carb per packet. The tablets are available in Australia, New Zealand and Fiji.

THe bulk stuff is measured just like sugar and counts as 24 carbs per cup. But it does work in baking.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 06:35

BF:

I dont really want to use the "spoon for spoon" splenda cause it is so high in carbs. I think it must be different to the bulk Splenda you talk about.

1 cup = 240 ml = 24 carbs

The Splenda I can get here (the spoon for spoon version) is
100 grams = 97 carbs so
240grams/ml = 232 carbs

Anybody try the little tablets for cooking?? Do they loose their sweetness?

thanks,
Gagalina
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 07:08
Registered Member

Plan: Stillman
Stats: 250/110/101 Female 4'11"
BF:unknown
Progress: 94%

Hello Gagalina: I asked my husband (age 74) if he remembered anyone ever cooking with the saccarine tablets (I think that's the white tablets) when they were used before being banned here. He said "no, and tell her not to use them for anything else either because they're bad for you" (see why I love him!). We like using the Splenda, the carbs are almost negative. And it doesn't have the chemicals in the other sub-sweeteners. What can I do to help you? With love, Tootie
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 08:39

BF:

Hi Tootie,

I'm not talking about the saccarin tablets but the Splenda tablets. I actually found a site that gives you a recipe for a cake where crushed Splenda tablets are used, so I suppose they should be ok for cooking then??

http://forum.lowcarber.org/archive/...p/t-196545.html

I'll give it a try over the weekend and see what happens ;-)

Gagalina
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 08:32
Registered Member

Plan: LC
Stats: 210/200/126 Female 165
BF:
Progress: 12%
Cool

Hi there, I use Hermestas tablet as the labes says it is carb and calorie free unlike the Splenda tablets whick I got in Tescos.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 09:23

BF:

But doesnt Hermestas contain Aspartame and Acesulfame-K?? I thought they were supposed to be avoided, since they can cause a stall and headaches??

I've had the splenda for a good while now, and I have to say its great. I can use it for cooking or hot drinks no problem. If I use it for cooking or deserts, I just crush the tables between two spoons and its great. The tablets contain virtually no carbs, its just the granular slpenda that is loaded with Maltodextrin or something like that and that increases the carb count alot.

Gagalina
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 09:25

BF:

Hey ePa,

I just realised we have the same stats for start weight and current weight (but you have a lower goal weight though)

What height are you?? I am not really sure how much I should weight, just thought that 143 would be a good one to go for ;-)

Gagalina
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 09:51
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up

Hiya ... I'm actually just happy that I'm losing weight ... my goal weight is a number far away in the future at the moment ... "BUT MY DAY WILL COME"

I didn't experience those symptoms at all with hermestas, but I do get your point, you can never be careful enough.

Anything else we could share there?

Take care
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 09:53
Registered Member

BF:

Gagalina, how tall are you? I am 5'5"
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 10:33

BF:

Hi ePA,

I'm 5'8

I was always a little bit chubby, so not really sure how much I should weight at this height. I'll be happy at 143, and I can always loose more if I am not happy with that weight, you know.

Since I know nothing, I just try to do whatever the Atkins book/website says or what is said on the forums, learn from other people's mistakes as such.

I suppose if you're ok with those and are not getting any side effects, I suppose you can tolerate it a lot better than some people.
It might also depend on how much you actually consume everyday.

Gagalina
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 12:08
Registered Member

BF:

not too much, I have at the most one tablet in one small cup of coffee every other day. I used to be slim 2 years ago, but every year I put on over a stone ... I'm blaming the ulster fry ... hehe. I just was really careless. I also read the book and have the carb counter but many things are a lil confusing don't you think so. Plus a lot is for the american market ...