Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 15:02

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

German style sausages always seem like a good bet. Lidl's frozen bradwurst are also great (and grey) and low in carbs.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 07:58

Plan: Low Calorie/Low Carb
Stats: 208/175/133 Female 62
BF:32%
Progress: 44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsox
Also in the baking section there is cocoa powder for baking. Ive used this added to whipped cream with a dash of vanilla essence - (0 carbs from Sainsbury) with a teaspoon of slenda to make a chocolate mousse. You can be a little wild with the cocoa as the whole tub is 10 carbs and you dont need much to make a really gorgeous tasting chocolate mousse like creation!! Try it - you will think you have died and gone to heaven believe me!!

Longsox

New to the Forum, have just visited local Sainsburys looking for this cocoa powder, having heard of it higher up the thread. Never thought to look in the baking section, they only had high carb cocoa in the drinks section. Many thanks, I'll have a better look next time.
  #153   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 11:21

Plan: Low Calorie/Low Carb
Stats: 208/175/133 Female 62
BF:32%
Progress: 44%
Default Macademia Nuts

Found In Julian Graves Ltd. - 150g macademia nuts for £2.99 - unsalted as well. They had a very large selection of nuts there. They have a store in Guildford, Surrey.
  #154   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 17:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 164/164/136
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default yummy snacks

At last Holland&Barrett do atkins bar which are only 2 net carbs and they are huge. Also Superdrug have just introduced a new range of low carb choc and bacon flavour pieces which taste like crisps(so I am told being veggie means I cannot eat tyhem due to being made with pork rind) but the choc is great. Holland&Barrett have a range of high protein low carb bars not just atkins
  #155   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 17:45
Modified :)

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

I bought a couple of new things at Tesco yesterday (although my local Tesco doesn't have spag squash ) - Heinz passata 2.9g/100g - I used 200g of it tonight with mince, mushrooms and garlic (half the mince for dinner tonight and the rest with salad for lunch tomorrow) - pretty sure most of the other passata where closer to 6g/100g

Also grabbed some Tabasco brand spiced green olives... green olives stuffed with chilli with 0.5g/100g
  #156   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 13:15
Champagne Paulie

Plan: My Fitness Pal
Stats: 156.2/123.8/120 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:Got some, thanks
Progress: 90%

I noticed in the paper the other day that Tesco are going to start listing carb count on all their products and may introduce low carb ranges too. It looks like all those suggestion cards we filled out and the emails may have done the trick!!
  #157   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 18:08
Registered Member

Stats: 228/228/175 Female 71 Inch
BF:

Soup:
Sainsburys: Goats Cheese & Rocket
Broccoli & Stilton
Chicken & Leek
All fairly low carb although some do contain potato
  #158   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 18:12
Registered Member

BF:

my very favorite sausage is in Lidl - the little nurnburger sausages, which are really spicy and yummy and very low carb - no fillers.

Also in Sainsburys though their 'taste the difference' sausages some are high percentage of pork.
  #159   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 15:13

Here's a website which shows offers on at different British supermarkets

http://www.fixtureferrets.co.uk/
  #160   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 11:01

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Nimble selling low-carb bread

Apologies if this has already been highlighted, but ...

Came across Nimble Carbs So Low bread in Tesco today - they describe it as a reduced carbohydrate Nimble white bread - with 7.6g carbs per slice. Unfortunately, it still contains 'white flour' and all the usual suspects, which rather defeats the object of low carbing.

However, they do also sell a wholemeal (which is not being marketed as low carb) that is only 7.4g carbs.
  #161   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 11:10

Quote:

7.6g carbs per slice.

That's not really low carb is it? Looks like they are trying to jump on tthe bandwagon. They'll have to do much better than that before I'll buy it!
  #162   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 11:56

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
That's not really low carb is it? Looks like they are trying to jump on tthe bandwagon.

Well, it's a lot less than the usual bread that's available.

However, I do agree that they are trying to jump on the bandwagon. Although I'm not keen that it's a white bread that being promoted as a 'low carb' product, I am nevertheless pleased that a 'low carb' product has been specifically produced for the UK market. Also, it does bring low carbing to the attention of British consumers, which can only be, IMHO, a good thing
  #163   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 15:34
Registered Member

BF:
Lightbulb Delicious Dressings

Really delicious salad dressing found today - Sainsburys Taste the Difference Porcini Mushroom Dressing, bit pricey at 1.99 a bottle, but you dont need much - carbs per 100g - 3.3g - carbs per tablespoonful - 0.5g.

I also love Paul Newman's salad dressings - they are all made with natural ingredients and the profit goes to charity - large Sainsburys stock them.
  #164   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 16:37
Registered Member

Plan: Charles Clark
Stats: 295/211/196 Male 6' 2"
BF:
Progress: 85%

On the subject of sausages... picked up the following today at Sainsburys...

A pack of six Classic Sicilian Style Sausages... carefully prepared using prime British pork, with fennel, red wine and fresh herbs...

0.7 grams carbohydrate per sausage
0.4 of which is sugar
0.3 of which is starch

Look like winners to me!
  #165   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 07:52

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 167/154/126 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Yum yum I love those sicilian sausages - for tea mind you, I find them too strong for a breakfast sausage. Last night I had the Smokey Cajun Sausages from the Taste the Difference range - they are slightly higher carb at around 1.4g per 100g (ie 1.5 sausages) but still good.