Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 11:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/234/160 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default suggestions for getting on track??

I started a couple of weeks ago, but to be honest I am only half on track and I know that LCing does not work that way. I think it is definitely the way for me to go, but I can't seem to get right on track. Any suggestions for giving myself a kick in the butt?

Nancy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 22:11

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Hmmm, trying to think of a way to put this so it doesn't sound like a lecture.

First off, get your focus. You need to WANT to lose the weight and WANT to make yourself healthier. If you have some kind of medical condition that is aggravated by your current weight, that can be a real plus. In my case, my blood pressure was a bit high and I'm hypoglycemic.

If you live alone, make sure you buy only the types of foods you will eat. If you have anything else in the house, throw it out. If you live with others (like children) and you want to give them an occasional treat, buy something you don't like. It makes it a whole lot easier, especially at first. If you have roommates or spouse or whatever and they're not into LCing and they have all kinds of goodies in the house, things can get kind of rough. Ask them to keep their goodies in another part of the house, completely away from you.

If you prepare meals for others than yourself, feed them low-carb suppers instead of making two separate meals. This helps a lot around here. Four of us are on Atkins, and I have a 6-year-old. Of course he needs good carbs, and he gets them. For dinner he often has a piece of whole wheat bread and butter with his meat and veggies, has peanut butter and jam sandwiches and so on. (Okay, I know jam's not the greatest thing in the world, but this is one of the few 'junk' foods he actually gets to eat, LOL.

Hopefully that will help a little. If I knew more about your lifestyle I might come up with some other/better ideas.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 23:08
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilaCotton
If you prepare meals for others than yourself, feed them low-carb suppers instead of making two separate meals. This helps a lot around here. Four of us are on Atkins, and I have a 6-year-old. Of course he needs good carbs, and he gets them. For dinner he often has a piece of whole wheat bread and butter with his meat and veggies, has peanut butter and jam sandwiches and so on. (Okay, I know jam's not the greatest thing in the world, but this is one of the few 'junk' foods he actually gets to eat, LOL.

Have you tried him on the sugarfree jams that are sweetened with Splenda?
They are quite good and will cut him down on sugar even further. I like the raspberry and strawberry ones the best.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 23:12

Stats: 235/214/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:40
Progress: 28%

Nancy, don't do what some of us did and wait until you lose your health before getting it back. It took ten years and a dignosis of diabetes for me to get my life back on track. If you do this WOE right, you should feel lousy for the first few days as you detox from the carb overload in your body.

You will feel better, more alert, more energized, more driven.

Do It Now.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 21:30

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%

Good luck Nancy--

Don't beat yourself up--just do like we all do. somehow find the strength to just do it. It is hard but doable. Alice
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 21:31

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%

Good luck Nancy--

Don't beat yourself up--just do like we all do. Somehow find the strength to just start to do it. It is hard but doable. Alice